Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Saul N
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never written a review before for boardgamegeek but I've read and benefited from plenty. So now I hope to return the favor in kind. I'm not going to give you the specifics on rules and mechanics (I think it's covered pretty well in other reviews) but more my overall impressions after playing it once....

Bootleggers!!! What a great game and what a surprising gem.
I had purchased the game several years ago but never played it until last night when I brought it over to my regular gaming group. Now our group has pretty varying tastes. Some folks enjoy the Euro games more. While I personally prefer the "Ameritrash" ones. But we all think theme is great for a game and for that Bootleggers delivers and delivers well.

I had read the rules and explained it to the group - didn't take that long but there was a bit of confusion since it is a process oriented game. We dove in and after the first few rounds everyone caught on quickly to the rules. And everyone agreed how much fun it was!!!

The rules weren't that "fiddly" - we of course had to check back and reference them every so often but most things were laid out fairly clearly and logically. And only once or twice we had to make logical "judgement" calls (which after double checking on these forums I found out had been played correctly.)

The game plays from 3-6 people. We played with 4 people. I think that's about the smallest size you'd want to play with. You want a busy game with lots of screwing over the other guy and lots of competition.  My guess is 5 or 6 is the sweet spot. But 4 was great!!!

I also suggest you play this game with a group of people who don't mind getting a bit into the 1920s gangster theme. And who know each other well enough to be able to connive and backstab each other while still having fun. While this isnt an integral part of the game it does add to it.

Who would I recommend this game to? Well definitely not for the hardcore Euro game fan. As a lot of people wrote in other reviews there is a lot of luck/chance. A lot of random card drawing and a lot of dice chucking. If you don't enjoy those mechanics I would pass on this game. If you're like me but like a "light" Euro game (think Small World) mixed with a nice amount of randomness (think Small World) and nice and thick on the theme this game is great!!

Not sure how this game will play on repeat and after our first initial learning curve game. But everyone in our group agreed we must play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review. I've got a 2P variant that my wife and I will try soon.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saul N
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!
Im very intrigued about how a 2 player game would work. Please post how it plays.
Also, where can one find the 2 player variant rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game used here on the Geek a while back and have read the rules but haven't had a chance to play it yet (been purchasing too many games lately and getting backed up on playing them all.) 99% of the time there are only 2 players at our house. Someone here on the Geek emailed me the 2 player variant. If you send me a geek mail with your email address I will be happy to send it. The game sure sounds fun and I really want to try it soon. Good review here, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saul N
United States
Brooklyn
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
My game too was also sitting on my shelf for a while while I purchased more games (so addictive.) But I finally decided to play this one since it had been sitting around too long. Well worth it!!!
Another member here on bgg emailed me the 2 person rules. Seems like it's a very different game without the other players and with the AI element. But I'm curious to here how it works. Please post a review.

ALSO:
Before the first time you play count your Men of Action cards and check them against the number listed in the rulebook. You may find yourself short on the count (the number in the rulebook was a misprint) and missing 2 card types and with 2 extras of another card type. You can easily fix this yourself though. Do a quick search on the forums here for more details. That's how I figured it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I bought the game used I did count all the cards and I was short a few (I can't remember exactly how many.) The seller of the game was perplexed he said he only played the game a couple of times and he was sure he didn't lose any cards. I let it go without worry as I figured a few missing cards would not break the game. Come to find out the rules had a misprint! Thanks for that information.

I will report back when I finally play the 2 player variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who read this thread before the rest of the forum, the cards they're talking about are the Double Influence cards. They are missing and there are two extra single influence cards. You can just mark up 2 single influence cards a doubles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
... or play without them. Really, you will never even notice the difference

I am happy you enjoyed it!

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
angelotti wrote:

D

True - it's just 2 cards out of the deck, but one of the most frequent complaints about the game is 'not enough influence'. The potential for 2 extra pieces through the course of the game isn't a big change, but it does help alleviate the common complaint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was much discussion about the missing cards back in the day:

Is there any way to get the DI Cards now?
Cards missing, anyone?
Incorrect cards in the box or in the content description?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
angelotti wrote:

D

True - it's just 2 cards out of the deck, but one of the most frequent complaints about the game is 'not enough influence'. The potential for 2 extra pieces through the course of the game isn't a big change, but it does help alleviate the common complaint.

True - but it is more perception.

As many games as I have played (believe me, more than I care to count) I have seen influence run hot and cold. The most interesting situations occur at these extremes because it forces the players to adjust their strategies. I had one game that no influence cards came into play until round 5 - it was all about threats to play men of action cards...

Next time you play, try the loaded gun strategy - hold all of your influence until about round 6 and grab a couple of cards that let you swap or remove someone else's influence. Your opponents will squirm waiting for you to bring the heat. Move in and take over one of the middle speakeasies and generate as much cash through the end of the game. You will probably only get away with it once because the next time everyone will sit on their influence too. That will be fun also.

D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Beyer
United States
Northville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
angelotti wrote:

D

True - but it is more perception.

As many games as I have played (believe me, more than I care to count) I have seen influence run hot and cold. The most interesting situations occur at these extremes because it forces the players to adjust their strategies. I had one game that no influence cards came into play until round 5 - it was all about threats to play men of action cards...

Next time you play, try the loaded gun strategy - hold all of your influence until about round 6 and grab a couple of cards that let you swap or remove someone else's influence. Your opponents will squirm waiting for you to bring the heat. Move in and take over one of the middle speakeasies and generate as much cash through the end of the game. You will probably only get away with it once because the next time everyone will sit on their influence too. That will be fun also.

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well i am convinced i will like it and so will our gaming group. So it looks like i will make attempts to get game. Seems game is not a game that will come out often i am sure, but any game that can hit the table once a year stays on the shelf (too many games there to get them out once a year). Thank you for post M8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Shugars
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently played my first game as well. I like lots of different games, but this is one of those that when you finish, you can look back and remember fun plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.