Subject: House of M - which player goes first in case of tied scores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an interesting 2-player game using the "House of M"-scenario the other day, but of course it led to a tied score of 14-14 at the end of the fourth game round! yuk

This made us argue a bit over which player would get to attack Magneto first now...!?

The rule book didn't reveal anything significant regarding this topic, so I'm curious if any other Marvel Heroes-players out there have ever encountered this situation and how did you handle it (and if not: how would you handle it?):

1) Should the player currently holding the "First Player"-token (= the player who got it assigned at the beginning of the 4th round of play) get to go first?

or

2) Should you use the same tie-breaking criteria you would use to break down the who gets the "First Player"-token issue (that is: whoever holds more team power-up cards gets to go first and in case this value is tied also: decide it randomly)?

or

3) Should you play another (complete) game round and continue doing this until the players' scores aren't tied anymore (could lead to a rather looong game...)?

or

4) Should you just flip a coin (like we did in the end)? laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go:

Most Team Power-Ups goes first

if still a draw, each rolls 4 dice, most hits goes first, reroll ties (ignore boost on hit/boost). That's what we use to decide First Player at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks. It does make sense to settle it just like the first-player token allocation (should just point this out to everyone before game start, I guess...).

But while we're still at the "House of M"-scenario, one little follow-up question came to my mind:

Is it really the case that Magneto always has dice-boosting in those ultimate showdowns (because he's a Mastermind Villain), while the teams of all players combating him will not be allowed to re-roll their dice, because they always consist of 2 "ready" heroes (okay, in case you're still able to activate some ally's ability, like that from "Medusa", it would still be possible for a combat round or two, but I mean: in general...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, barring a couple of Allies that grant boosting, heroes have to go at it without boosting. That said, can't recall the heroes ever losing to Magneto in the final combat and that's even without being able to play X-Men in this scenario, Jean Grey owns poor Magneto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, thanks again for the confirmation.

(btw: we did manage to both lose against Magneto - while both players were still holding plenty of villain cards (enabling the activation of Magneto's special "zero gravity"(?) combat ability for an almost unlimited number of times...), the F4 were badly decimated due to a wounded Thing and also completely out of resource cards going into the final battle, and the Marvel Knights were struck by incredibly bad luck: Dr. Strange got himself killed pretty quickly, Spidey almost got the job done by managing to inflict one KO on Magneto, however failing to land the decisive second blow with a legendary roll of four blanks with his red power... gulp shake)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.