South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Game play in Urbanization includes no random elements, and the game comes packaged with two expansions.

This is definitely enough to pique my interest to begin with, and 2-4 players at 75 minutes also sounds good (assuming it actually scales well down to 2 players, and actually clocks in at 75 on average).

Any more info on the gameplay/mechanics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
truekid wrote:

That's all the info I have from the Queen Games sell sheet. Once I've seen rules or received more details, I'll update the listing.

Or perhaps someone else who's played the game in prototype or playtest form will be able to provide more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an updated version of the Milton Bradley classic, Square Mile.

Intriguing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Malaysia
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider me also intrigued. The component list and descriptions have me looking forward to seeing it and hopefully trying it out. Queen games have been a bit hit or miss for me... really liked Fresco, haven't much cared for any of the subsequent releases, but I'm going to try out Kingdom Builder soon and it looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I haven't seen many games this last 12 months that have excited me. Let's hope it's not just another exercise in cube-shuffling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm keeping my eye on this one as it looks interesting.

I bought Kingdom Builder. I was a little disappointed but I like it enough to keep it and not trade it off (at least for now!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster was quite good. Also, try Queen's train games. Chicago Express is superb. Paris Connection and German Railways both look solid as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-marc Thibault
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my eye on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tckoppang wrote:
Lancaster was quite good. Also, try Queen's train games. Chicago Express is superb. Paris Connection and Germain Railways both look solid as well.

Lancaster did look interesting, but we only have 2 players here and a lot of games just aren't that great with 2 players. I thought Paris Connection looked interesting as well, but I think that one did not allow 2 players. The only train game I have is Railroad Tycoon, and we love that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, two players isn't really the sweet spot for the best of Queen's line-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McCormack
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if they will release some massively overpriced expansions for it as well *cough* shogun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kugler
Germany
Ettlingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Eric,

i was one of the playtesters and i can say that this game is all that you expect it to be.
There is absolutely no factor of luck and at the end you always know why you have won or lost.
The timescale really fits easily into one evening and we always had the feeling that we had the possibility to do enough and needed to plan wisely.
Of course if you have one player who tends to analyze - paralyze it could take the one or the other minute more but the player actions and decisions are well distributed and so there always smething to do.
I liked it very much and look forward to see more games published by this great developer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo balbi
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about AP in this game ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kuglerix wrote:
Hi Eric,

i was one of the playtesters and i can say that this game is all that you expect it to be.
There is absolutely no factor of luck and at the end you always know why you have won or lost.
The timescale really fits easily into one evening and we always had the feeling that we had the possibility to do enough and needed to plan wisely.
Of course if you have one player who tends to analyze - paralyze it could take the one or the other minute more but the player actions and decisions are well distributed and so there always smething to do.
I liked it very much and look forward to see more games published by this great developer.

How deep would you say the game is (Complexity wise and strategy wise)?

Did it remind you of any other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Kugler
Germany
Ettlingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi John,

complexity and strategy wise i would say it is al ittle bit like Puerto Rico and Cuba.
So your second question is also answered but i would say that this game reminds me to those games in terms of the feeling and just some mechanics in the gameplay.
But Urbanization includes very nice mechanics in terms of worker and resource management making this game somehow unique.
The main impression i had from playing the prototypes was that you always had the impression that in the next game you still have the possibility to make things different and all in all it was well balanced in terms of complexity.
It is not a strategy burner and it was never meant to be.
The advantage is that you have the impression that you have played something complex combined with a gameplay that is easy to learn and a time effort that allows to add a second round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
truekid wrote:
Quote:
Game play in Urbanization includes no random elements, and the game comes packaged with two expansions.

This is definitely enough to pique my interest to begin with, and 2-4 players at 75 minutes also sounds good (assuming it actually scales well down to 2 players, and actually clocks in at 75 on average).

Watching the KS video gave me what I feel is a pretty good idea of the mechanics. I suspect I'll like this game a lot. I do not know if I want to pay essentially full price for a preorder though, so I'll probably wait and play the game later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony reiter
United States
salt lake city
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good game, but since I have and like Puerto Rico and Cuba I am afraid I have no strong desire for Urbanization.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avenues wrote:
Sounds like a good game, but since I have and like Puerto Rico and Cuba I am afraid I have no strong desire for Urbanization.

I do not see the connection here. Unless you mean that Puerto Rico and Cuba dominate your gaming time, and therefore you aren't interested in any other games (a perfectly valid point of view).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.