Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I sat down with my new group that I had introduced Cosmic Encounter to a week earlier. None of them had much exposure to modern board games, and this was the second one I had played with them, the first being Arkham Horror (by their request). They love both games and everyone was excited to play again.

It was a six-player game, consisting of myself, Steve, Perry, Logan, Trevor, and Paul. and as soon as everyone had revealed their aliens, I knew it was going to be an interesting game...

I was the Trader, an alien that I have found to be very effective in past games.

Steve selected the Gambler, which definitely means mind games were coming.

Perry selected the Magician. Another "mind game" type of alien (opponent puts two cards down and Magician picks one to add to his hand, the other card is locked in as your choice)

Logan, the only first time player, selected the Zombie. An excellent alien for someone who had never played the game before.

Trevor selected Chronos. Oh man, I instantly could tell any encounters involving Chronos, Magician, or Gambler were going to get very... tricky.

Lastly, Paul was the Guerrilla, although he wasn't too pleased to hear that Logan was essentially immune to his ability.

And the game began. The very first encounter involved Steve(Gambler) launching one ship against Paul(Guerrilla) only to reveal the 40 attack. A strong way to get a first colony. Little did he know that Paul had drawn the Guerrilla flare and it was then that he used his super power. Since Steve only committed one ship (3 or less), it was sent to the warp leaving an empty planet in Paul's system.

The game went on like any other game of Cosmic, but it is at the end of the game that things got interesting. It is Paul's(Guerrilla's) turn, and he is at 2 colonies, while all of the other 5 players are at 4 colonies. I tell him that he could tie it all up by winning both his encounters, to which he replies that hope is lost because he only has one encounter card left. I tell him, you might as well still try because crazy things can happen in this game.

So he encounters Steve(Gambler), and he wins. Except I had a slight problem. I, being the trader, was trying to set up my hand to be traded when it was my turn. I had Emotion Control, a card that I did not want to give to another player. Therefore, this encounter was my last chance to get rid of it. So I played it, and forced Paul and Steve into making a deal (which confused them).

Steve was low on ships, so he did not want to fail the deal. He obviously wasn't going to get a colony so he said he would be content with cards. After much negotiating, Paul convinced Steve to give him a colony AND at least one encounter card. This would allow Paul to have a second encounter, at which point I said "told you so" about anything being possible in this game.

He drew me as the second encounter, and I let him win without much of a fight, and in the process got rid of the LAST attack card in my hand. "Perfect" I thought to myself. I was left with 3 negotiates, a couple flares, and a Cosmic Zap. All I would have to do is trade hands with my opponent, and they would have no choice but to play a negotiate and let me win. Not to mention I would Cosmic Zap their power before trading.

With all 6 players at 4 colonies, I really thought I had the game won. Drew Steve(Gambler) as destiny, and launched my ships. I played the Cosmic Zap just for extra insurance, and then said that I wanted to trade hands with Steve.

Except... Steve zapped my power. I look down at my hand of negotiates. I look up. "Crap."

After losing the encounter, it moved on to Steve's turn. He drew Trevor(Chronos) for destiny, and neither of them asked for allies. Trevor was thinking for a long time, and finally put down a card. With Steve as the Gambler, Trevor would have to reveal his card first. Negotiate. "What?" I thought to myself. "Why would he negotiate if Steve is going for the win?"

But then I realized why. Steve had the opportunity to gamble. He could say his card was whatever he wanted, and if Trevor didn't challenge it, it would happen. Steve selected negotiate. Trevor obviously didn't argue, and they traded one planet each and won together with the rest of us stunned that it came down to a deal.

I have to hand it to Trevor that it was really well played. Even if Steve hadn't done the whole negotiate thing, he could have just used his power as Chronos to redo the encounter. He basically had a free attempt to get Steve to let him tag on for the win. It worked.

It was a great game, and the group is excited to play again this weekend. Everybody chipped in to that we could get Cosmic Conflict to add into the mayhem and so we could potentially play with 7. I had a long break from Cosmic Encounter, not being able to find people to play it with. But I can tell that this group will have many plays, and is going to make a whole lot of memories through this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report. Man I love Cosmic! Moments like these are why you play, and with Cosmic moments like these are never in short supply.

Well done Trevor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, and well written; thanks.

One point of clarification: You actually wouldn't be able to zap Gambler "just for insurance" since the Cosmic Zap can only be played just as somebody starts to use their power.

There are some players who use a house rule that allows pre-emptive zapping, but it's not official ... so you may want to discuss this with your group just to make sure everyone is on the same page with how you want to play it. And, if you go to somebody else's dojo, be aware that they may require it to be played by the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:

One point of clarification: You actually wouldn't be able to zap Gambler "just for insurance" since the Cosmic Zap can only be played just as somebody starts to use their power.

There are some players who use a house rule that allows pre-emptive zapping, but it's not official ... so you may want to discuss this with your group just to make sure everyone is on the same page with how you want to play it. And, if you go to somebody else's dojo, be aware that they may require it to be played by the book.

Thanks for the clarification! I was under the impression that Cosmic Zap took away a player's power for the rest of the encounter, but it sounds like it actually only prevents one use? I wasn't planning on house ruling anything, so I'd like to play this correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it does take the power away for the rest of the encounter, but it shouldn't be played until the point at which the alien's instructions say the power is used (in bold on the sheet itself). In other words, you want to wait until the last minute to foil someone's plans - it feels better that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary wrote:
I was under the impression that Cosmic Zap took away a player's power for the rest of the encounter, but it sounds like it actually only prevents one use?

You are correct that the effect lasts for the rest of the encounter. It isn't limited to blocking one use, but it does have to be played when a use occurs. Once in a while this means you'll lose one before you get the chance to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZAP!

The most chilling sound in all of the cosmos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
Legendary wrote:
I was under the impression that Cosmic Zap took away a player's power for the rest of the encounter, but it sounds like it actually only prevents one use?

You are correct that the effect lasts for the rest of the encounter. It isn't limited to blocking one use, but it does have to be played when a use occurs. Once in a while this means you'll lose one before you get the chance to play it.

Got it, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session, makes me want to get my hands on a copy of Cosmic Encounter! (It is on my wishlist though).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.