Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm talking about card games like Uno, Rook, or Skip-Bo. Would any of our hobbyist publishers even look at a game that's just a deck of cards with numbers and colors?

The game I've designed is like that -- just cards with numbers, in colors, with some wilds.

It had a theme at one point, which complemented the game play nicely. But the game as a whole was too complex for the ultra-simple-yet-engaging goal I'd set for myself.

As I stripped away game play elements one by one, the theme made less and less sense. Finally, now that I feel like I've hit that sweet spot of simplicity and game play I was going for, the theme is utterly useless. It doesn't hurt anything, I guess, but it doesn't help explain the rules and the game play doesn't really invoke the theme.

So I decided the theme was superfluous and removed it from my latest prototype.

Now what are the odds I can get a hobbyist publisher to take a look at it (giving me the benefit of the doubt and assuming it's as fun as I think it is)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been plenty of them released before, why wouldn't they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paste a couple of themes on so that when the rules are read, the can get into a character of what they should be feeling/doing. also mention the theme is not needed, but give the publisher the option. They may their own theme on it anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might actually have a better chance of finding a publisher if you're flexible on the theme. The publisher can add their own theme or keep it theme-less at their own discretion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man Game's No Thanks is a popular filler FFG's Ingenious is a recommended gateway game. Many party games have no theme. Out of the Box Games publishes My Word, and Gamewright Games publishes PDQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Z-Man Game's No Thanks is a popular filler FFG's Ingenious is a recommended gateway game. Many party games have no theme. Out of the Box Games publishes My Word, and Gamewright Games publishes PDQ.

Good points! I forgot about No Thanks and Ingenious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amigo seems to publish at least one every Essen - 23, 11 nimmt!, No Thanks!, 6 nimmt!, Stich-Meister, etc. There are plenty of other publishers who do them, but Amigo seems to have an affinity for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
Dominion may be the best example. It is an abstract card game.

The medieval theme is just pasted on top of it's good abstract mechanics. It could be a space exploration game or a mining game or a wall street game as much as it is a medieval game.

So, even though i am not a publisher, i can safely answer that, as a possibility, they do bother with abstract card games. Although i think that they will almost certainly want to paste a theme on top of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfugeek wrote:
Would any of our hobbyist publishers even look at a game that's just a deck of cards with numbers and colors?
I could mention that Coloretto really has nothing but colors but I still don't know how responsive that is to your larger question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You might actually look at educational publishers, even before the hobby publishers. The edu publishers tend to have a longer reach into the chain stores and such, and if your game truly is abstract then there's no reason to not go for the wide audience. Unless its complexity is such that it would be beyond children, I guess. But you might look at publishers of games such as Qwirkle, Gemlok, etc. Games that have a lot of penetration into the mass market by virtue of their publishers' overall connection with the distributors (Qwirkle is also a good game but that's almost incidental when examining this side of the question).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tichu?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me ask a question, what is a hobbyist publisher?

If the game is good it has a chance to be published (with or without theme). And if a publsher likes the games mechanics, but he wants a theme, they will add it.

The only reason, a card game with just colored numbers is not als likely to be published is, if you know the rules, you can play it with other simmilar sets of cards too. So there is no reason to buy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus Hagenauer wrote:
First let me ask a question, what is a hobbyist publisher?

Mostly, I meant: a publisher I can approach that will sit down and listen to an unknown wannabe designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add Parade to the list of abstract card games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about SET?

-Munch "that's fairly abstract" Wolf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Mucchiello
United States
Edison
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
Aren't most of the game Nestor Games does somewhat abstract?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.