Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb

A few days ago I posted a massive poll for Dominion. It took a lot of time to put it together and I was really proud of the effort. The problem was that it was stinkin' huge! My brain was even burned up by the time I finished answering the questions. It was just to big.

Well at the good advice of several posters particularly royal tenenbaum I am going to create a smaller poll now which I may add to at a later time.

We will start with two small polls about Villagers and Marketers.

VILLAGERS: Cards which give 2+ actions
MARKETERS: Cards with features similar to a market

Please only pick 1 or 2 per category but feel free to choose one card for multiple categories.

Poll
Which of these are your favorite, least favorite, etc?
  Most Powerful Most Fun Least Fun Best Value Worst Value Vote Count
Village 5.6% (1) 0.0% (0) 72.2% (13) 33.3% (6) 5.6% (1) 18
Festival 66.7% (6) 11.1% (1) 11.1% (1) 33.3% (3) 0.0% (0) 9
Shanty Town 0.0% (0) 23.5% (4) 41.2% (7) 0.0% (0) 52.9% (9) 17
Mining Village 11.1% (1) 44.4% (4) 22.2% (2) 11.1% (1) 33.3% (3) 9
Tribute 10.5% (2) 36.8% (7) 26.3% (5) 0.0% (0) 36.8% (7) 19
Nobles 57.1% (8) 14.3% (2) 14.3% (2) 7.1% (1) 14.3% (2) 14
Native Village 0.0% (0) 41.2% (7) 41.2% (7) 5.9% (1) 17.6% (3) 17
Fishing Village 60.6% (20) 18.2% (6) 3.0% (1) 69.7% (23) 0.0% (0) 33
Bazaar 55.6% (5) 0.0% (0) 22.2% (2) 22.2% (2) 0.0% (0) 9
University 31.2% (5) 12.5% (2) 31.2% (5) 6.2% (1) 37.5% (6) 16
Worker’s Village 71.4% (5) 14.3% (1) 14.3% (1) 28.6% (2) 0.0% (0) 7
City 35.3% (6) 41.2% (7) 17.6% (3) 17.6% (3) 0.0% (0) 17
Hamlet 9.1% (1) 36.4% (4) 9.1% (1) 72.7% (8) 0.0% (0) 11
Farming Village 63.6% (7) 9.1% (1) 18.2% (2) 45.5% (5) 9.1% (1) 11
Crossroads 31.2% (5) 37.5% (6) 6.2% (1) 50.0% (8) 6.2% (1) 16
Inn 25.0% (3) 50.0% (6) 16.7% (2) 16.7% (2) 33.3% (4) 12
Border Village 47.4% (9) 36.8% (7) 5.3% (1) 21.1% (4) 15.8% (3) 19
Walled Village 6.2% (1) 12.5% (2) 37.5% (6) 6.2% (1) 68.8% (11) 16
Total Voters 47
This poll is now closed.   47 answers
Poll created by Redward
Closes: Sat Sep 1, 2012 6:00 am

Poll
Which of these Marketers are your favorite, least favorite, etc?
  Most Powerful Most Fun Least Fun Best Value Worst Value
Market
Festival
Bazaar
Treasury
City
Grand Market
Peddler
Oasis
Highway
      47 answers
Poll created by Redward

SIDE NOTE: If you noticed a card that shouldn't be here or think that a card is missing please let me know. I can't fix it for this poll but if I update this for future expansions I can use your advice for those.

Also, please discuss your thoughts here and state why you picked what you picked.

And as always, thumbs are appreciated if you found the poll interesting that is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Teplin
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It looks like you've set up these polls to compare results across rows, rather than by column. Was this intentional?

In other words, rather than finding out what percentage of users think each village is the most powerful, we're finding out what percentage of users think each village falls into each category, with no comparison to other villages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patar Absurdus the Shananigator
United States
Carrollton
TX
flag msg tools
"what you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought.
badge
Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
mbmbmbmbmb
fteplin wrote:
It looks like you've set up these polls to compare results across rows, rather than by column. Was this intentional?

In other words, rather than finding out what percentage of users think each village is the most powerful, we're finding out what percentage of users think each village falls into each category, with no comparison to other villages.

I'll try fixing that for version 2.1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
May I say that I think the people who picked Highway as "Most Powerful" are out of their minds? It can be really strong in conjunction with certain other cards but there are any number of sets where it's just like a Market, only not as good.

And the people who picked Market over Grand Market...!!!

(Maybe it's a matter of definition. I think of "Most Powerful" as being the cards that when I see them on the board, I immediately think "I want to get some of those in my deck ASAP." Grand Market qualifies, Market very much doesn't.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
(Maybe it's a matter of definition. I think of "Most Powerful" as being the cards that when I see them on the board, I immediately think "I want to get some of those in my deck ASAP." Grand Market qualifies, Market very much doesn't.)

If "best value" weren't a separate option, I would agree with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see "best value" as "highest power/cost ratio", with "most powerful" as, well, "highest power". I want to have high-power cards in my deck. But there is just no reasonable measure of power which places Market higher than Grand Market, any more than there is one which places Copper over Silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Goldfarb wrote:
I see "best value" as "highest power/cost ratio", with "most powerful" as, well, "highest power". I want to have high-power cards in my deck. But there is just no reasonable measure of power which places Market higher than Grand Market, any more than there is one which places Copper over Silver.

Totally agree. I think people are confusing most powerful with best value. Fishing Village is a great card, but most powerful? It costs 3 for a reason. I'd rather have a bunch of nobles or border villages (and the cards I get for free with it) than a bunch of fishing villages. And there's no way market is more powerful than grand market. GM is absolutely better, and that's not an opinion. Best value is another matter entirely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
David Goldfarb wrote:

Totally agree. I think people are confusing most powerful with best value. Fishing Village is a great card, but most powerful? It costs 3 for a reason. I'd rather have a bunch of nobles or border villages (and the cards I get for free with it) than a bunch of fishing villages. And there's no way market is more powerful than grand market. GM is absolutely better, and that's not an opinion. Best value is another matter entirely.

::looks down at his six Fishing Villages in play::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it comes to cards that provide explosive actions, having them in play by the time you draw your starting hand contributes an enormous amount to their power. Fishing Village is easily more powerful than -some- others.

Border Villages can be said to have extremely good value since you pretty much get a free fiver with them but they are only as powerful as a run-of-the-mill Village from the classic Dominion set. No way is Border Village most powerful; value is a separate category.

For version 2.1, you might want to clarify what each category means. Something like ...

Most Powerful: Strength of card when used, ignoring acquisition
Best Value: Cost (and other difficulty to acquire) compared to projected benefit of buying/gaining

By the way, it seems I'm the only one so far that thinks Oasis is the Most Fun of the "Marketers" and the majority think it is the Least Fun. Call me crazy, but I like the added decision of what to discard or if playing it is the right choice. That's aside from the fact that mid-turn discarding is sometimes very desirable. I think that it would be very difficult to consider "Oh gee, I mindlessly play -yet- another Treasury" as Most Fun.

It seems that the auto-buy-and-spam mentality ruins the potential fun of Cities but Treasuries and Highways are the preferred choices in that category, even as they suffer from the same, uh, feature. Weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daley
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
auto-buy-and-spam mentality

Best description of the year. Accurate, and yet ever-so-slightly insulting. We have a winner

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.