Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Solo PnP Wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hey all,

Maybe you can help me... I'm looking for solo PnP wargames (light preferably, but being PnP, that's probably a given) that would be relatively easy to bang out before I leave the country on the 21st.

Any suggestions?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't get much lighter to travel with than my solitaire dice wargame, if you don't mind putting some stickers on (preferably indented, blank) dice:
WIP Solitaire PnP Contest Dice in Trench Warfare

Oh, and when playing you could try to fix the rules and then tell me what to change. I think there is room for improvement in several areas (mentioned in that thread).

There are also some geeklists you could try:

Free PnP Solitaire Wargames
Free Solo Print and Play
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Solitaire Caesar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wargamedownloads.com/search_results.php?searchterm=&p...

Not to bash peso pete or consimworld donations, but wargamedownloads has One Night in Taranto on sale for $3.50.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Belgium
De Panne
Bachten de Kupe
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is a bit more work to print and assemble, I would like to recommend another game from the Solo PnP design contest last summer: Raider 16 - Atlantis, a game about German merchant raiders in WWII.

All materials are in the WIP thread here: [WIP] Solitaire PnP Contest: Raider 16 - Atlantis
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I'm finding that the rules of a few of these games are atrocious... but that may be due to the fact that I haven't really played an "actual" wargame and am having some issues grasping some of the ideas.

Maybe I need more of an intro type game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
Avatar
mb
Lou Coatney has done some free intro wargames,

Moscow Defended!
Leyte Gulf Naval Chess Game

I have a soft spot for Battle of Marignano. It's nice for what it is. And speaking of Alex Kremer, I also thing War? is pretty good for what it is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
D-day dice is a great one
also (I'm not sure if this one counts) Airborne in my pocket which isn't really wargame persay but you are a spy going into enemy territory to sabotage their stuff. anyway both of those are great games!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Military Muskrat wrote:
D-day dice is a great one
also (I'm not sure if this one counts) Airborne in my pocket which isn't really wargame persay but you are a spy going into enemy territory to sabotage their stuff. anyway both of those are great games!


Thanks for the suggestions, but I would rather stick closer to the "dudes-on-a-map" strategical gaming than the more luck-driven alternatives.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Psylocide wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:
D-day dice is a great one
also (I'm not sure if this one counts) Airborne in my pocket which isn't really wargame persay but you are a spy going into enemy territory to sabotage their stuff. anyway both of those are great games!


Thanks for the suggestions, but I would rather stick closer to the "dudes-on-a-map" strategical gaming than the more luck-driven alternatives.

yeah, I wasn't exactly sure what you were looking for so I just threw out a couple suggestions that have something to do with war
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Battle for Moscow (first edition)? If you go to the grognard.com site there is plenty of information, and they describe it as an introductory wargame.

It's not solitaire, but if you are happy playing both sides it's a really clean and easy to understand system which introduces some of the basic ideas in wargames. Not too much to print out either.

I've really enjoyed it, and it's helped me along in my discovery of wargames.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:
How about Battle for Moscow (first edition)? If you go to the grognard.com site there is plenty of information, and they describe it as an introductory wargame.

It's not solitaire, but if you are happy playing both sides it's a really clean and easy to understand system which introduces some of the basic ideas in wargames. Not too much to print out either.

I've really enjoyed it, and it's helped me along in my discovery of wargames.

wow! that brings back memories. that was one of the first games I played (aside from stuff like monopoly)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.