Subject: Spell : Wings of wind - Can it move over water rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

In play right now. I want to use wings of wind and move 5 tiles, but I have to move over water. Is this possible?

'When you play this, spend 1-5 move points and move one revealed space on the map for each. You must end your move in a safe space. Moving this way does not provoke rampaging enemies'

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The landing hex is the only one that is restricted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend is really sceptic, because it says lakes and mountains are inaccessible spaces. And it doesn't say move over mountain and lakes on that spell, but some other cards say you can if you pay blue mana and other stuff.

Now me I took the meaning literally and played it as it is written, if the tile is shown, you can move over it, but just finish your turn on a safe place.

Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Mountains and Lakes are inaccessible due to their movement costs, but this spell doesn't use movement costs, it just tells you to move spaces. And since it says you must end your move in a safe space, that implies that you can move over "unsafe" spaces during the move (otherwise, that phrase would be pointless).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
And since it says you must end your move in a safe space, that implies that you can move over "unsafe" spaces during the move (otherwise, that phrase would be pointless).

not necessarily, it could mean you can't land on another player or in a fortified structure since technically you would not be "safe" as you just triggered an attack/assault.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
My friend is really sceptic, because it says lakes and mountains are inaccessible spaces. And it doesn't say move over mountain and lakes on that spell, but some other cards say you can if you pay blue mana and other stuff.

Now me I took the meaning literally and played it as it is written, if the tile is shown, you can move over it, but just finish your turn on a safe place.

Help!

I agree it would have been clearer if they had labelled mountain and lake space with an infinite symbol instead of an X, since technically certain abilities and spells can let you move through them. Wings of Wind is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this kinda screwd the game for my friend and me.

I moved 5 and stopped at the only monastery and he was close to it.

I just want to know if we can actually do that even if it doesnt state on the card you can move on any tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Well this kinda screwd the game for my friend and me.

I moved 5 and stopped at the only monastery and he was close to it.

I just want to know if we can actually do that even if it doesnt state on the card you can move on any tiles.

It does say on the card, you quoted it yourself: "...move one revealed space on the map for each..." Lakes and mountains are revealed spaces on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that the rules say about "safe spaces" is to define them as "any space that would be accessible under normal conditions, with no other Hero present."

A keep is accessible under normal conditions with no hero present, so I don't see how this isn't "safe".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wings folks, Wings! You are not trudging through impassable terrain, you're flying over it. The only airspace that is out of bounds is defined by the extensions of the virtual "coastline" that defines the MK world we are traveling in. The issue, as stated on the card, is the landing hex which must be one that is legal to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Pickles
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
As I read it you have to provide the movement points to spend with other cards/skills so it is not quite as all powerful as it might seem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickles wrote:
As I read it you have to provide the movement points to spend with other cards/skills so it is not quite as all powerful as it might seem.

I know. I told that to my friend before posting here, it's called wing of winds, so yo can fly. To cast it, you have to pay a white mana, plus you have to pay for movement points. You have to finish on a friendly spot, and the spaces have to be already shown.

Anyways all is good. That card gave me the game hands down. I used it always with at least 4 or 5 move. The way the tiles were when I first got the spell, I there was high level terrain with water and mountain. Without it, I would have been stuck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
[q="Pickles"]I used it always with at least 4 or 5 move. The way the tiles were when I first got the spell, I there was high level terrain with water and mountain. Without it, I would have been stuck.

That's probably why the spell exists. Terrain can be a bitch...and game breaking if you're on the wrong side of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One more precision to the spell.

Could you go over towers and keep and over rampaging enemies with this spell?

For me you could move over mountains and lakes, but if you would go over a space with a tower or keep, it would trigger a fight, so it would end you turn on an unsafe space, so you couldn't go over a keep or tower. For the rampaging enemy, I would say yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't provoke rampaging enemies it's certainly not going to provoke people holed up in fortified locations. In order to provoke a fight you have to assault the location by moving into it, not flying over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to make sure that wings of wind is actually considered flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bobthesnake wrote:
Just wanted to make sure that wings of wind is actually considered flying.

I think the small clue here is....WINGS. They're on birds. They're on aircraft. Now they're on you. Whatcha gonna do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
Give the OP a break, fellas. It could have just been a poetic figure-of-speech; when Gandalf says to the Fellowship, 'Fly, you fools!', Frodo and Gimli don't sprout wings.

That said, the responses are correct. You can move over water and mountains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wolvendancer wrote:
Give the OP a break, fellas. It could have just been a poetic figure-of-speech; when Gandalf says to the Fellowship, 'Fly, you fools!', Frodo and Gimli don't sprout wings.

That said, the responses are correct. You can move over water and mountains.

We have but after awhile it's like beating a dead horse. And that's about the worst example I can think of. When Gandalf says Fly, you fools, it's an imperative literary form of flee.

On the whole, I'd say we've been rather helpful and patient with the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindsey Dubb
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I think the really cool thing about Wings of Wind is its flexibility -- The stronger version (Wings of Night) is a powerful combat spell, so (if you have access to black mana) you can use it for movement or combat, whichever you happen to need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Snake
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mikecl wrote:

We have but after awhile it's like beating a dead horse. And that's about the worst example I can think of. When Gandalf says Fly, you fools, it's an imperative literary form of flee.

On the whole, I'd say we've been rather helpful and patient with the OP.

Patient!?

I already used the spell at it was intended. All this post started because my opponent thought it wouldn't. Now he can see the proof. Oh,thanks for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ced Kay
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Just to be sure, can we use wings of wind to go and fight on ruins on desert (it's important as desert is 5 moves during days), if we can't, we need a + 5 move to go fighting !

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Ruins are a safe spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Seidel
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are rampaging enemies provoked while moving with this spell? Can i fly through a tile with a rampaging enemy?

Can i explore while using Wings of Wind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.