Recommend
12 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Mansions of Madness» Forums » News

Subject: Premium Arkham Horror Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominik Dollinger
Germany
Aichach
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=2993

Now this is interesting. There are a bunch of new monster minis to look at:

Dark Young (big base)
The Dunwich Horror (big base)
Wizard Whateley (small base)
Child of the Goat (small base)
Dark Druid (small base)
Goat Spawn (small base)
Hunting Horror (medium base)

The Dark Young and Dunwich Horror look pretty cool to me!

Still no vampire though. It's a conspiracy, I tell you! ninja

Either they have a bunch of FA-like expansions planned, or there is a big-box expansion coming our way!
Or they are made just to be used in AH or in user created scenarios, which I doubt.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do these monsters have a thematic connection to each other?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of that is Dunwich and Black Goat Arkham horror expansion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bearn wrote:
Most of that is Dunwich and Black Goat Arkham horror expansion.


So those monsters have been released first either because those are the top-selling expansions for AH, or they're planning such expansions for MoM, or both.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably both but it's widely accepted by most AH players that Dunwich is the better of the three big box expansions.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett David Spain
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Have I gone mad? I'm afraid so. You're entirely Bonkers. But I will tell you a secret, All the best people are.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd settle for plain gray plastic figures rather than pre-painted figures. Those pre-painted figures look great, but they are just too expensive for me especially when you consider how many you might need of each.

I hope future expansions of MoM add to the plastic monster mix like these stand-alone purchases are expected to do.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This just made my day - I'm liking this! Thanks for posting.
Will they come with there cardboard inserts - listing special attacks, health, etc...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
johnhe0414 wrote:
Will they come with there cardboard inserts - listing special attacks, health, etc...?

I doubt it. If they did, it would ruin the distribution of monster tokens, making it a hassle to remove their counterparts from the cup.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
O well there goes my board game spending money shake

Regards

Gnome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuriy Matuhno
Ukraine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Disgustipater wrote:
johnhe0414 wrote:
Will they come with there cardboard inserts - listing special attacks, health, etc...?

I doubt it. If they did, it would ruin the distribution of monster tokens, making it a hassle to remove their counterparts from the cup.
What cup? He's talking about monster tokens for MoM.

I considered to buy Dark Young, but decied to not because he has no MoM monster token.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wodzianski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Painter - Player
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...
I'm conflicted.
While I'm excited at the prospect of a Dunwich Horror expansion for MoM, Forbidden Alchemy's QC has me a bit weary of another lackluster expansion.
While I'm excited to see some cool sculpts, the scale for the monsters is becoming ridiculous. By and large (pun?), they need to be much bigger. I know this makes for a cluttered board, but come on... Unless the Dunwich Horror mini is in it's stages of infancy - it should be freakin' huge.
While I'd rather play a game than paint a mini, these paint jobs are pretty pedestrian. I expect the inevitable MoM expansion will include unpainted figurines, and I'll bust out my pots once again.

Criticisms aside, 'The Dunwich Horror' may be my favorite HPL story and the AH expansion is fab. I'll remain optimistic that FFG can put together a solid MoM expansion. Maybe I'm insane.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TrueLolzor wrote:
Disgustipater wrote:
johnhe0414 wrote:
Will they come with there cardboard inserts - listing special attacks, health, etc...?

I doubt it. If they did, it would ruin the distribution of monster tokens, making it a hassle to remove their counterparts from the cup.
What cup? He's talking about monster tokens for MoM.

I considered to buy Dark Young, but decied to not because he has no MoM monster token.


Jason,

you are correct - i was talking about MoM and after reading FFG's site it looks like it won't include the cardboard insert.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But are they going to come to europe for a reasonable price? Because importing from FFG is way too expensive. On second thought, looking at the price I would't buy them any way, 9.99$ for a big mini is too much and I guess that the minis not included in MoM or MoM:FA will eventually be part of a future expansion for it and playing Arkham Horror with the minis would be awkward because of the size.

I guess the only ones who would really be interested in this for AH would be collectors, but I'm no one to talk, I've spent money on silly stuff too.(I have over 130 Star Wars minis from wizards of the coast).

drewcula wrote:
Hmmm...
I'm conflicted.
While I'm excited at the prospect of a Dunwich Horror expansion for MoM, Forbidden Alchemy's QC has me a bit weary of another lackluster expansion.
While I'm excited to see some cool sculpts, the scale for the monsters is becoming ridiculous. By and large (pun?), they need to be much bigger. I know this makes for a cluttered board, but come on... Unless the Dunwich Horror mini is in it's stages of infancy - it should be freakin' huge.
While I'd rather play a game than paint a mini, these paint jobs are pretty pedestrian. I expect the inevitable MoM expansion will include unpainted figurines, and I'll bust out my pots once again.

Criticisms aside, 'The Dunwich Horror' may be my favorite HPL story and the AH expansion is fab. I'll remain optimistic that FFG can put together a solid MoM expansion. Maybe I'm insane.


I'm no expert but considering the size of the investigator minis, I don't think the Dark young should be much bigger when compared to several artwork depicting it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They're nice, but I really don't like a lot of color schemes (and sometimes designs) they go with that fly in the face of Lovecraft's creature descriptions. And a lot of these are specifically AH, not MOM--frankly, the AH board gets cluttered enough when we're just talking cardboard chits! Add these, and the streets of Arkham will be impossible to navigate. Although I guess that'll be an additional indicator of when the group REALLY needs to start collecting more monster trophies...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
They're nice, but I really don't like a lot of color schemes (and sometimes designs) they go with that fly in the face of Lovecraft's creature descriptions. And a lot of these are specifically AH, not MOM--frankly, the AH board gets cluttered enough when we're just talking cardboard chits! Add these, and the streets of Arkham will be impossible to navigate. Although I guess that'll be an additional indicator of when the group REALLY needs to start collecting more monster trophies...


Add one Dark young to the board and he'll take up a whole space, you can't fit two dark young on the same space(I used my MoM shoggoth to measure)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone on the FFG site brought up a good point: how are you supposed to see the border colour of the monster when using the minis in AH?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to draw the chipboard tile from the cup, when you draw you can see the color and memorize it before inserting it in the mini.

But it's more work than it's worth really, I can see the minis being useful for the more unique monsters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irxson wrote:
You have to draw the chipboard tile from the cup, when you draw you can see the color and memorize it before inserting it in the mini.


Memorise?? As if we didn't have enough to keep track of in Arkham Horror!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, that's why I said
Irxson wrote:
But it's more work than it's worth really, I can see the minis being useful for the more unique monsters.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irxson wrote:
I know, that's why I said
Irxson wrote:
But it's more work than it's worth really, I can see the minis being useful for the more unique monsters.


Phew! I thought you were being serious.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irxson wrote:
You have to draw the chipboard tile from the cup, when you draw you can see the color and memorize it before inserting it in the mini.

But it's more work than it's worth really, I can see the minis being useful for the more unique monsters.


Not to mention the wear and tear this would cause on the cardboard! It's totally fine in MOM, where you insert the cardboard tile into the base and never take it out. If you're constantly inserting and removing the monster chits in AH, it'll eat away at them before too long.

Same goes for the MOM monster chits; if you're sharing minis between the two games, you'll have to remove the MOM cardboard to play AH.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Someone on the FFG site brought up a good point: how are you supposed to see the border colour of the monster when using the minis in AH?


You mean you haven't played AH enough that you would know what color the monsters border is at all times? Shame on you for not playing AH enough.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Irxson wrote:
You have to draw the chipboard tile from the cup, when you draw you can see the color and memorize it before inserting it in the mini.

But it's more work than it's worth really, I can see the minis being useful for the more unique monsters.


I was just planning to keep the tokens out in front of me for reference with the minis on the board.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dennis
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the color JUST FINE. Try it. Put an Arkham chit into a Mansions base. You can see the color clearly by the monster name, symbol, and on the back. Christian Petersen has also addressed this in another thread in the Arkham Horror section.
Good grief. If it weren't for the internet, what would people complain about?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Avatar
macgowan wrote:
You can see the color JUST FINE. Try it. Put an Arkham chit into a Mansions base. You can see the color clearly by the monster name, symbol, and on the back. Christian Petersen has also addressed this in another thread in the Arkham Horror section.
Good grief. If it weren't for the internet, what would people complain about?


The haters gotta hate.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.