Subject: Descartes Playability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
craig dias
United States
ewa beach
Hawaii
flag msg tools
As a native English speaker, how difficult would it be for me to play with a Descartes version of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No problems. I have the same version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
There shouldn't be any problems. There's no text on cards or other game components (except the player shields and player reference sheet, both of which you can find English versions of easily enough.)

The sector names on the map will be in French, although considering most of them are made up sci-fi names anyway, that shouldn't be a huge inconvenience. =P

In fact, I think the Descartes edition even includes an English copy of the rules (though I may be mistaken.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis Perron
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get your hands on an English rulebook it would be OK I guess. Please note that there are French words on the "Duel" cards and the "Planete" cards. But as I can remember those cards are only used with the expansions. You certainly know that the French edition by Descartes is fully complete and include the "Space Harvest" and the "Duel" expansions. You will also need the English translation for the personal displays. IMHO, the drawings on these displays and tokens, made by Fabrice Lamy, are much nicer than the original AH edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Mueller
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same issue. I have not played my copy, but found that I needed to 1) find english rules. The rules are quite complex. And also 2) print an english player aid. These are avialble online, but are fairly important (as far as I can tell.)

The cards do not look like an issue. The map is fine, and the french actually adds to the "gothic otherworldly" feel of the game.

Good luck, and please report back!

Heyswyndon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the Descartes issue. Plenty of sources on the web for english rules, and game aids. Invite your friends, play it, LOVE it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.