Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine who is getting into heavier strategy games would like to play a train game with auctions. While 1830 and other 18xx games auction off the private companies, he wants a game that is a train game centered around auctions. Any thoughts? Keep in mind he's looking for medium to heavy weight train games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Chicago Express seems a screamingly obvious suggestion, as does Age of Steam (or Steam played by the "Standard Rules")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Look to the Winsomes.

Dutch InterCity is almost pure auctions.

Early Railways series is auction centered.

Gulf, Mobile & Ohio is also pretty much non-stop auctions.

Chicago Express and Pampas Railroads seem like a route building exercise, but really, it's all about the auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
jschlickbernd wrote:
A friend of mine who is getting into heavier strategy games would like to play a train game with auctions. While 1830 and other 18xx games auction off the private companies, he wants a game that is a train game centered around auctions. Any thoughts? Keep in mind he's looking for medium to heavy weight train games.

First thoughts:

Age of Steam
Dutch InterCity
Pampas Railroads
Chicago Express
West Riding
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Age of Steam have auctions? I don't recall it having auctions. Out of the games you guys have suggested, I have Pampas Railroads, Dutch Intercity, and Wabash Cannonball. Those should be enough to get started, thanks much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam arguably centers around an auction at the start of each round which determines turn order/role selection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
jschlickbernd wrote:
Does Age of Steam have auctions?

It's the auctions that give AoS much of its pain.

Quote:
Out of the games you guys have suggested, I have Pampas Railroads, Dutch Intercity, and Wabash Cannonball. Those should be enough to get started, thanks much!!

Heavens, Jennifer, get that shit played! You coming to EGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steel Driver

It's a bit of a weird auction, as you don't want to get things for the minimum usually, but quick, not too heavy nor light, not designed by someone's imaginary friend, plays up to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
jschlickbernd wrote:
Does Age of Steam have auctions?

It's the auctions that give AoS much of its pain.

Quote:
Out of the games you guys have suggested, I have Pampas Railroads, Dutch Intercity, and Wabash Cannonball. Those should be enough to get started, thanks much!!

Heavens, Jennifer, get that shit played! You coming to EGG?

Didn't remember that. Nope, not coming this year, wish I had the $$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
How about Ticket to Ra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out First Train to Nuremberg. I own it but haven't bust it out, so I can't comment on the gameplay.

People have been saying it's very fiddly and I hope it's not a deal breaker for you. Cuz I'm sure do not mind about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
German Railways

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Gillespie

Sarles
North Dakota
msg tools
jschlickbernd wrote:

You of course know about Rail Baron, although there the auctions only come up when players have to sell off their railroads, so it's not at the centre. Power Grid is of course auction centred, and feels a bit like a rail game, though it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.