Subject: Blind, Bruised and Bloodied Variant. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to my initial ignorance of the rules, I accidentally created a Thunderstone Variant. Which we have come to call the 'Blind, Bruised and Bloodied Variant'.

The same set up as usual but add a 4th Monster to the Dungeon. We use iThunderstone for all of our games.

When you draw your hand, you DO NOT get to look at your hand before deciding if you are going into the Dungeon, Village or to Rest. You make a decision based on the cards that you know you've drafted only. It adds some length to the game, as well as adding an element of trying to remember what you've played, drafted and have 'rested' out of your hand.

It's an ugly world and sometimes you have to take a chance with not knowing what you have on your side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No offense but that sounds incredibly bad. It would just lead to many poor decisions and a shorter over all game due to bounces in the dungeon lower scores as well? But to each his own.

If you want a great variant then I suggest the epic variant found here on the geek here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no desire to mix all of the cards together, Entirely too much OCD for that.

Our game group initially played Thunderstone like this and it actually works out pretty well, sure it's tough but it works.

And if you think it sounds awful, don't try it. To each their own. Just offering another option...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this does sound like it would only make the game more frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven riola

joliet
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more frustrating...

Again, just an option for people. Our group didn't hate it this way as it seemed to easy initially knowing whether you could beat a monster or not in the dungeon.

We don't play like this much any more, but every once in a while one of our group will ask to play it blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a similar variant on here, only they looked at their hands-- but the dungeon hall was face down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon de Silva
Australia
Silverwater
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
I saw a similar variant on here, only they looked at their hands-- but the dungeon hall was face down.

Yeah, we almost always play with the dungeon deck face down. We don't go in blind about our own cards, but we don't know what we'll be up against. In my mind, it seems to fit better with the theme.
We also play that the penalty for losing an encounter is that the highest level or strongest hero (choice) is destroyed in the conflict, and that the monster remains there (now visible). Again, it seems to fit better thematically, and it stops people using the dungeon as a deck-thinning mechanism. If you don't know what you might be facing, and you might lose your best hero, it gives the dungeon some genuine menace, and makes the game a bit more tense. It also encourages a bit of diversity in your hand.
Keep in mind though, that we also use the Epic variant, which means that the diversity is there in the village, and the monsters increase in strength in line with our decks.

Cheers, Marlz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This I like better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennyd Sevenants
Belgium
flag msg tools
virferrorum wrote:

That sounds pretty interesting Might try that out this weekend ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.