Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Europe version. And usually play 3 players. Will Nordic Countries improve the 3 player game considerably or? Or should I just get it for the purple train set lol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own Europe, you can probably afford to buy as many games as you want.

...I'm surprised I've never heard of you. whistle

(I like Nordic Countries a lot, but have never played TtR:Europe... The purple trains are sweet, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that I am in the minority, but I really do not like T: Nordic.

I find that the inability to use Locomotives on regular routes leads to many situations near the end of the game where everyone needs a specific colour, and that colour is not revealed, so we get turns of "I'll draw two from the top" repeated ad nauseam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:

I find that the inability to use Locomotives on regular routes leads to many situations near the end of the game where everyone needs a specific colour, and that colour is not revealed, so we get turns of "I'll draw two from the top" repeated ad nauseam.

I've only played it 2p, but haven't had that happen. I mean, the beginning of the game is a lot of "I'll draw two from the top", but I think that's common to all TtRs. The end is always (for us) a mad dash to slap down routes before the other player ends the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
willythesnitch wrote:

I've only played it 2p, but haven't had that happen. I mean, the beginning of the game is a lot of "I'll draw two from the top", but I think that's common to all TtRs. The end is always (for us) a mad dash to slap down routes before the other player ends the game.

That's funny, because my games tend to be the opposite, where we grab different colours at the beginning of the game as we plan for future routes, but by the end we need one specific coulour to complete our last route.

Goes to show that different groups have different play styles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, ive been lurking around here ;)

Yeah its not bout spending 50$ on this game, its more like, its pretty much the same game, its likely one of them would sit around and collect dust. :)

3 players on Ticket to Ride Europe plays good, but since Nordic is meant for 2-3, im just wondering if its better than on Europe map...im guessing it is. If i could only see a commenter on here who owns both and can say something about it :)

cheers!
Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:
Yah, ive been lurking around here

Yeah its not bout spending 50$ on this game, its more like, its pretty much the same game, its likely one of them would sit around and collect dust.

Sorry, I was joking. There are lots of people on here that I've never met, talked to, heard of, etc... I just meant that if you owned Europe, i.e. the continent, then you have a lot of money, and also I probably would have heard of you. Stupid joke, I know... zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Olmstead
United States
Wilkes Barre
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:
Cro1 wrote:

Yeah its not bout spending 50$ on this game, its more like, its pretty much the same game, its likely one of them would sit around and collect dust.

Sorry, I was joking. There are lots of people on here that I've never met, talked to, heard of, etc... I just meant that if you owned Europe, i.e. the continent, then you have a lot of money, and also I probably would have heard of you. Stupid joke, I know... zombie

I thought it was incredibly funny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:

3 players on Ticket to Ride Europe plays good, but since Nordic is meant for 2-3, im just wondering if its better than on Europe map...im guessing it is. If i could only see a commenter on here who owns both and can say something about it

cheers!
Thanks guys!

I own both. I think it really just depends on how much you intend to play TtR, how many games you own, and how often you play with 2-3.

For myself, I own a little under 200 games, and my family enjoys Ticket to Ride....so it I felt like I had room for another Ticket to Ride game. On the other hand, if I only owned 10-20 games, then I may consider not purchasing it unless we tend to play a lot of TtR.

I'm not actually a fan of 3 players on TtR:E. I think it's way to open, and can often result in 2 players battling it out while the 3rd is free to do what they want. For 4-5 players, I definitely prefer it over the US map (which I also own)...

Nordic Countries is probably my favorite of all the TtR games. It's a lot tighter play imo, and there are some very important choke points that create some cutthroat play. Plus, it's a beautiful map. I actually used to own TtR: Switzerland as well (before the new version), and I drastically prefer Nordic Countries to Switzerland. Switzerland is fun, but the strategy always comes down to connecting countries and ransacking the Destination Tickets to find the country cards. My complaint with Nordic Countries is that we've had a few games where a player is building along the coastline and can't find the insane amount of locomotives required to build there. I think that with repeated plays by those players, however, that they would learn to be careful with destination tickets on the coast... (Edit: we apparently missed a rule)

I think you have a few options:
1: Buy TtR: NC. It's an excellent game with 3.
or
2: Buy TtR: Expansion #2 (with Switzerland). Despite my complaints above, it's still a great map and plays better than Europe with 3. And since it's an expansion, it's a lot cheaper than Nordic Countries (plus you'll get India).
or
3: Buy TtR: Europa 1912. This is a really cheap mini-expansion for Europe. If you play with the Big Cities cards only, then your 3-player games will be a bit more in your face and interesting.

If $$ isn't an issue, you play a lot of TtR with 3, and you own enough games that your collection isn't dominated by TtR...then I recommend going for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
My complaint with Nordic Countries is that we've had a few games where a player is building along the coastline and can't find the insane amount of locomotives required to build there. I think that with repeated plays by those players, however, that they would learn to be careful with destination tickets on the coast...

Don't forget that you can always substitute ant 3 cards for a locomotive on a ferry route. It makes the massive number of locos needed a little more manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
willythesnitch wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
My complaint with Nordic Countries is that we've had a few games where a player is building along the coastline and can't find the insane amount of locomotives required to build there. I think that with repeated plays by those players, however, that they would learn to be careful with destination tickets on the coast...

Don't forget that you can always substitute ant 3 cards for a locomotive on a ferry route. It makes the massive number of locos needed a little more manageable.

Ouch. I must have missed that rule..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Nordic for two reasons:

First, the board and the cards are absolutely beautiful. Whenever it hits our table, we just enjoy the board for a few minutes before we start.

Second, we find that it plays a much tighter game. You have to play aggressively, or you will be shut out. Our group likes that style of play. You may not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no no, i knew u were joking :) its ok, no worries. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this reply, just what i was looking for :).

I guess I'll go for it then, it does look great first of all. 2nd we do play quite often here, usually 3 players like i said...so i guess it'll be a great addition to my collection. I think you have pretty much convinced me now to go for it... thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rio Malaschitz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both games (and Switzerland too) and Ticket to Ride is most popular game in my family. Our cards are really shabby. After playing a lot of games I am not satisfied with Europe and we play Europe only with 4-5 players. With 2-3 players we play mainly Nordic countries and sometimes Switzerland.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Ryder
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nordic is my favorite map by far. It plays very differently so differentiates from Europe quite nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was not a TtR fan until I played Nordic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Purple trains ..... what other excuse does one need ? cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I just wanna let u guys know that I bought it.

Played 2 games last night. 3 Players. I won both times lol, but man was it tense. It was a real challenge. I guess it's kind of like playing 5 players on the Europe map. Really liked the theme and yes those purple trains are something, but unfortunately I had to play with black lol, had to be a gentleman.

Anyways, 10/10 for this one.

Later folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Nordic is great for 2-3, Europe great for 4-5. Don't need any more haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:

Unless you want 6: Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia

(Played my first 'Team Asia' game this past weekend, and it was a very different experience....quite enjoyed it.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
murksofus wrote:

Unless you want 6: Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 1 – Team Asia & Legendary Asia

(Played my first 'Team Asia' game this past weekend, and it was a very different experience....quite enjoyed it.)

I don't have 5 friends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
murksofus wrote:

I don't have 5 friends

It can be played with 4 (that's actually how I played it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
murksofus wrote:

I don't have 5 friends

I blame the cat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys.

Loving this game!

Now, last night we had another board game night and someone introduced the Marklin version. I just wanna say that the Marklin was very fun as well. You really can't go wrong with any version when it comes to Ticket to Ride. Passengers in Marklin add a whole new strategic dimension. It does maybe take a little longer to play because you have to set up the game and i guess the time it takes to make your decision if you will use a passenger or not.

I still think i prefer the Nordic Countries however, it's just more intense and i do like tunnels and ferries which are not present in the Marklin version.

Over all, im very happy with my purchase. I own Europe and Nordic and because we play mostly 3 players, Nordic will see more playtime, but the Europe map will too, i'm sure we'll get another player to hop right in and the Europe map shall b played!

For the future, not sure if i'll get the Marklin version, but it is very tempting. I'm pretty sure i'm already hooked on Ticket to Ride series, and i wouldn't be surprised to own the FULL collection at some point :).

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.