Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game – The Massing at Osgiliath» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Beginner's luck? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
When I looked through the Massing at Osgiliath encounter deck for the first time, I was like "Well, it's sort of an unofficial scenario anyway, if it's too tough, I'll still be able to put it aside and tell my friends I beat every chapter pack and large expansions out there..."

Yes, I was already trying to make up excuses because I thought there was no way I would be able to do this. You see, if you read the first stage of the quest too quickly (Like me), it seems like Conflict at the Carrock Sacked! or Flight from Moria A Foe Beyond thing. You look through the encounter deck, pull 12 scouts off it, keep (Number of players * 3), shuffle them into the deck and remove the rest from the game. No, wait a minute : You put the 6 scouts (I play solo with 2 hands) in the STAGING AREA and you shuffle the others in? So I start with 6 enemies in the staging area totaling 8 Threat? I'll have to quest to try to shave some of this threat, all the while keeping enough people to defend and retaliate?

I played with Legolas+Boromir+Gloin on one side and Frodo+Eowyn+Aragorn on the other. I was lucky on my first draw of encounter cards, pulling the nasty Cut Off! (Each player discards all allies from hand)... twice. As opposed to what we've seen lately, this card has no "If no allies are discarded in this way, this card gains Surge" clause, so I had a freebie with the 2nd card.

Legolas got Unexpected Courage to deal with the Snaga Scouts (The annoying ones with 1 ATK) as well as Blade of Gondolin to potentially put a lot of progress tokens on the quest cards. The Wolves of Mordor are rough this early in the game. At 4 ATK, 1 DEF and 3 HPs, they have enough firepower that you can't ignore them and are resilient enough that you can't defeat them with one swing.

The quest stages are tricky and you don't want to progress too quickly in this scenario. Stage 1 is pretty basic, you need 7 tokens and you can't travel to West Bank locations (Makes sense thematically, I'm on the other side of the Anduin river so those locations are scaring me from far away, I guess). On stage 2, you need 5 tokens but every player is only allowed to play/put into play one card from their hand each turn. Stage 3 is where the going gets tough. It drips with theme : You are now actually crossing the river and to keep the enemies busy, some of your friends are left behind to harass the horde on the side you just left. You only need 1 progress token but it can't be put there with a card effect, you will need to earn it the good ol' fashioned way - By questing. Except that in order to commit characters to the quest, a player has to discard from play a hero or one of the 2 Rangers of Ithilien objectives scattered through the encounter deck.

Now I don't like to lose my heroes at all so I held the threat in the staging area until I drew my 1st Ranger on the Frodo/Eowyn side. Speaking of Eowyn, she is very good to make sure you actually hold the threat without flat-out beating it and thus adding more tokens than you would want to. I sacrificed the Ranger and went on to make sure I would beat what was left in the staging area to progress to stage 4.

The Witch-King himself makes more than a cameo in this quest. On stage 4, you will face him in the staging area. Now he can hardly remain there for long since he has the nasty effect of lowering everyone's willpower by 1 (As well as having a threat of 6 himself). Problem is, at 6 ATK, 6 DEF and 11 HPs, he's a bitch to get rid of. I had to chump block him and cause him 2 points of damage with Swift Strike and attack him with Legolas, Gloin, Boromir and 2 3-ATK Eagles. 14 ATK - 6 DEF = 8 points of damage, HE IS STILL NOT DEAD! And to keep him engaged with me, I have to raise my thhreat by 3.

Thankfully, I had Gondorian Spearman to make sure he would die the following turn. Like in every American movie, once the Big Bad Evil Guy is dead, the do-gooders rejoice and the minions lose faith so the rest was pretty easy.

I was lucky to beat the scenario. I feel I could try it 10 more times and get crushed easily. I was especially lucky with the locations. I cycled through most of them as Shadow cards but if you draw them in the staging step, all this East/West Bank craziness can quickly become out of control. Feint helps against the WK but I didn't draw it. I can usually name an MVP after beating a scenario but this was just good teamwork. Legolas for progress tokens, Boromir readying a few times when I needed him to defend/attack an unexpected enemy, Gloin gathering enough leadership resources to pay for the various utilities cards, Frodo to soak damage as threat when needed, Eowyn to quest and Aragorn who used most of his resources to ready himself after questing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Marcon wrote:
Now I don't like to lose my heroes at all so I held the threat in the staging area until I drew my 1st Ranger on the Frodo/Eowyn side. Speaking of Eowyn, she is very good to make sure you actually hold the threat without flat-out beating it and thus adding more tokens than you would want to.

But you can't commit Eowyn to the quest at all without first sacrificing a hero / ranger???? I'm not sure you have played this stage of the quest correctly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Poutré
Canada
St-Jean-sur-Richelieu
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yes... I still like 'em 35 years later...
mbmbmbmbmb
That came out wrong. I meant that I was holding the threat in stages 1 and 2 so I would not proceed to stage 3 of the quest too early. I used Eowyn's ability to perfectly match the amount of threat in the staging area without adding enough progress tokens to stage 3. When I did get a Ranger, I cleared stage 2 and on the next turn, went on to sacrifice said Ranger and quest with Eowyn, Frodo and co.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, that's ok. In which case, well played sir!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just played it two-handed and beat it on the first try though it wasn't a foregone conclusion that we would win up until the bitter end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.