Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says in the rule book that you cannot split armies in a march order (go different directions) if you are going to engage more than 1 house in the process.

Last night we had a situation wherein a player wanted to split his forces by attacking me on one flank and then attacking neutral forces on another with a march +1 order. If we are to proceed based on above rule, that would mean that would have been a legal move on the assumption that neutral forces are not considered a house.

That being said, I think the spirit of the rule is precisely so you cannot abuse march +1 orders and do a massive multi-directional attack with a +1 boost. Thus we ruled the above as illegal. However, in the current incarnation of the rules, this becomes more of a house rule than an actual ruling.

So can anybody direct me on the correct ruling on this if any? Was my opponent doing a legal move? Or were we correct to call it illegal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wisner
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't know if this still applies in the 2nd edition, but we still use the following from the 1st edition FAQ:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/a_game_of_thro...

Attacking Neutral Forces
Marching into an area with neutral forces does not start
a battle: No House cards are played, you may not use a
Support order to affect the strength of neutral forces, and
you may not use the Valyrian Steel Blade to affect the
attack.
However, marching into an area containing neutral forces
still counts as an attack, and you may not make more
than one attack with a single March order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What masked_man said above is correct. Also, it states in the 2nd edition rulebook on page 26 that...

"Marching against a Neutral Force counts as the March Order’s one allowed attack."

So everything he said was true in 1st edition is still true in 2nd edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this. I remember reading rules about marching last night and it specifically said you may not move into 2 areas with different HOUSES and did not mention attacks. Thus the confusion if neutrals were considered houses.

But thanks. I don't have the rulebook with me right now but will check when I get home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to look at both the March order section AND the neutral force section:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a related issue, can I split my march orders so I attack an area with enemy units and an attack with an enemy power token only?

I assume yes, since it doesn't initiate combat to take a token-only area (and doesn't use a house card), right?

But.. can I split my march orders so I attack an area with enemy units and another area with ROUTED UNITS only?

I assume no, since it says that I can only move to ONE area with enemy units? On a similiar note, does it initiate combat if I move into an area with routed units only?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
On a related issue, can I split my march orders so I attack an area with enemy units and an attack with an enemy power token only?

I assume yes, since it doesn't initiate combat to take a token-only area (and doesn't use a house card), right?

But.. can I split my march orders so I attack an area with enemy units and another area with ROUTED UNITS only?

I assume no, since it says that I can only move to ONE area with enemy units? On a similiar note, does it initiate combat if I move into an area with routed units only?

Routed units still fight. You still need to select a house card for them. The only differences are their strength (always zero) and that they can't retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anker
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:

Exactly what is described in the first part of the message happened to me, and I'm still unsure about the correct interpretation of the rules, although I assume "YES" as well.

It would be great if someone would elaborate on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davuuud wrote:
TDaver wrote:

Exactly what is described in the first part of the message happened to me, and I'm still unsure about the correct interpretation of the rules, although I assume "YES" as well.

It would be great if someone would elaborate on this.

Yes, it is allowed. Marching into a areas with only power tokens just discards the power tokens. You can still split up your units and attack an area with the same march order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use a single march order to move any or all of the units in a single area to as many different areas as there are units. The restrictions are:
1) you need to meet supply (arguably at every stage, certainly just prior to sending the combat stack - relevant because of the restrictions on numbers of 2+ stacks allowed)
2) you can only have 1 contested move, that is just one attack on any of:
a) unit or garrison of another house - inititiates combat (moves into areas with only power tokens are not contested moves)
b) a neutral force
[NB if you were expecting support from another player to be able to take the neutral area and he/she declined, then the move into the neutral force is canceled and that last move can go somewhere else, including as an attack, since replacing what otherwise was the single attack]
3) Move initiating combat (attacking another house) must be the last move within that march order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamer42_au wrote:
3) Move initiating combat (attacking another house) must be the last move within that march order.

Not according to the official responses: Re: Official Responses from FFG. Perform all the movement for the march order, then resolve combat if one of the areas you marched into requires it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.