Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently reminded that I have a copy of Dune. I looked at all the fantastic content here about the game, and the incredible art of the PnP versions.

Then I saw how expensive the used game is, and that you can pay a similar price to print your own copy. I came to realize that very few people would shell out that kind of money for an old game that they have never played, and decided to do something about it.

I made Dirt Cheap Dune and posted it here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75154/dirt-cheap-dune
It is made of two PDF files. The first is a map, and the second is everything else: treachery, spice, storm, and leader cards (yes cards!), troop and spice tokens, player shields, and battle cards (instead of wheels).

I spent just under a week of evenings on it, so it's a pretty low investment on my part. You can print it onto 19 sheets of US Letter (sorry everyone else) sized card stock on just about any printer. There's no color and nearly no art except for the board. Come to think of it, there's hardly any black. This is a very low ink version. Spartan, even.

But, for a couple dollars of paper and ink or toner, and a few minutes spent carefully cutting things out, you can try out the whole game to see if you want to invest in a prettier and more durable set. If you want to save some time, I made the cards 10-up, so you can print them onto pre-perforated business card forms.

Do you folks think I spent my time wisely?

I'm eager to get your suggestions for improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Villa Straylight, Freeside
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, anyway to try this game without spending a ton is greatly appreciated. I for one will try this out. Thanks for doing this and sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, it's up to 280 downloads at the moment! On the one hand, I'm so glad people have some interest in my (tiny bit of) work.

On the other, I expected some more comments, encouragement, or suggestions for improvement. I suppose the download is only the first step. You have to cut the cards, tokens, and shields out. Then, since you've never played, you have to find, read, and understand the rules. Then you have to find a group that will play it with you.

Patience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used your version, but it looks fairly complete.

Some comments:

I did not see any Traitor cards. Are you planning on handling that with the Leader cards and writing them down like in the original version?

Also, the card backs seem kind of hard to read. Maybe a white stroke around the letters, or lighten the background?

There should be some way to mark Bene Gesserit Co-Existence. Making one side of the tokens different or supplying some Co-Existence markers would be helpful.

If I didn't already have a copy, I would definitely use this as a means to try out the game, as well as recommend it to some people I know that might want to try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback, Brine.

My plan was to use the cards as the original uses discs, yes.

Co-existence markers were not in the original game, and the tokens are the same on both sides, so it did not occur to me. My thought was that people not use this for the advanced game, but I think I'll look into how that's done in some other versions.

I agree with you about the text on the card backs. The primary intent is to obscure the other side of course. I did try a white outline, but it looked awful since it draws an outline both in and out, making the text thinner. I'll play around with that.

I think I might also add registration marks to help align layers for the next version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Disgustipater
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
My thought was that people not use this for the advanced game, but I think I'll look into how that's done in some other versions.

The ability is listed on your player shield, so I thought I would mention it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A newer version has been posted that adds optional traitor card backs. I've included a page of notes, and all pages are in one PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm elated to report that Dirt Cheap Dune has had 1000 downloads! I'm so glad people have taken an interest in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Whizkid wrote:
I'm elated to report that Dirt Cheap Dune has had 1000 downloads!
Not wanting to delate you, but to me it seems it only had roughly 1000 downloads... (912, both versions combined, to be exact). Still pretty cool. Didn't get around to build it yet, but have the file still glaring at me from my desktop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an earlier version I removed when it had 100 downloads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.