Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
As part of the research for my "Microbes on the Moon: Outbreak at Clavius Base" prototype I've been skimming through the 2001 A Space Odyssey novel.

The brilliant Arthur C. Clarke was a visionary writer, of course.

I'm not sure he knew much about people. In the chapter on Clavius Base he writes that the facility was operated by a garrison of 1100 men and 600 women.

This reminded me of an old Groucho Marx routine:

"Three men and one woman are trapped in a building! Send help at once! If you can't send help, send two more women!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say they had a really big kitchen, but I quickly realized that is not politically correct thing to say. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe ORIGINALLY there was 550 men and 300 women...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
usrlocal wrote:
Did you know that Clarke wrote 2001 in the Chelsea Hotel? You'd think that would have given him some real-world perspective on decadent moonbase behaviour.
Moonraker?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iden Hill
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another anecdote is that the movie was actually supposed to have been based originally, according to Kubrick, on Clark's short story The Sentinel. The novel was published after the movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

“Only one man in a thousand is a leader of men, the other 999 follow women. - Groucho Marx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
pete belli wrote:
As part of the research for my "Microbes on the Moon: Outbreak at Clavius Base" prototype I've been skimming through the 2001 A Space Odyssey novel.

The brilliant Arthur C. Clarke was a visionary writer, of course.

I'm not sure he knew much about people. In the chapter on Clavius Base he writes that the facility was operated by a garrison of 1100 men and 600 women.

This reminded me of an old Groucho Marx routine:

"Three men and one woman are trapped in a building! Send help at once! If you can't send help, send two more women!"

I always thought it odd in the original Planet of the Apes that the Icarus had 3 men and one women on it for a mission that lasted that long with what Taylor also said had a purpose of breeding humans on a new world.

Dr Strangelove had it right - 10 women per man....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.