1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: The future of wargaming. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the title is not a reference to PC games, ipad wargames, nor to some future 'virtual reality wargame'...hmm, actually, let me ponder that for a few seconds....

I'm actually referring to advancements in game mechanics in wargames. From my perspective, wargames have come a long way in the past few decades; indeed, they've come a long way just in the past few years. I know some people still appreciate the golden old days of wargames (The Russian Campaign is close to four decades old), and I respect those old grodnards. But the hobby is expanding, wargamers are diversifying, and so are the games themselves.

The card-driven game system (a-la We the People(1994), Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (1996), Paths of Glory(1999), and Here I Stand (2006)) continues to grow (Virgin Queen should come out this year folks!!!).

As a relatively young wargamer, Bonaparte at Marengo seemed amazing to me when it first came out in 2005. A wargame without dice or cards or CRTs! It was, and remains, a joy to play (I even got my wife to play it with me!).

In 2008, Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42 was touted as the game to introduce Euro-gamers to wargaming [from what I've heard it was relatively successful].

And of course last year (2011) Martin Wallace (you know, that guy mostly famous for designing train games) helped bring Euro-ers and War-ers (hmm, maybe I should just call us war-y-ers) even close together with the first 'deck-building' euro/wargame blend - A Few Acres of Snow.

Things just seem to be getting better every year. I'm excited about the future, excited about the games I know about, excited about the games being designed that I don't yet know about, and excited about the awesome mechanics that those awesome designers will create (or borrow from popular Euro-games) to make wargames even better.

So, war-y-ers (new name for wargamers), please help feed my excitement; what are some of the awesome mechanics or features of wargames that you're looking forward to seeing in the near (or not so near) future?

Personally, I'm looking forward to:
* More great no-dice/card/CRT goodness from Bowen Simmons in The Guns of Gettysburg
* Ed Beach streamlining the religious rules in Virgin Queen

But I also look forward to the unknown, to seeing more:
* Designers taking advantage of the deck-building system as a basis for wargames, as in A Few Acres of Snow.
* Action/dexterity-based wargames (think Catacombs or PitchCar, but with a wargame-esque foundation).
* Dynamic, interactive and accessible multi-player wargames.
* Completely new mechanics that I can't even fathom at this stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Laws
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
"I play to win, as much or more than any egoist who thinks he's going to win by other means. I want to win the match. But I don't give in to tactical reasoning as the only way to win, rather I believe that efficacy is not divorced from beauty."
mbmbmbmbmb
A Vietnam-era re-theme of A Few Acres of Snow with a bit more historical chrome and maybe, just maybe, asymetrical win conditions would see me become the speed of light squared.

Pretty Excited by the look of Sturm Europa if it's ever released and I'd love a special forces/SWAT team/hostage rescue game with modern mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abstract map representations like Fields of Fire (or, well, Up Front). Or the abstract representation of fire range and strength of units in the same game.

Cooperative wargames, or wargames were everyone plays on the same side but competes for victory points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
But I also look forward to the unknown, to seeing more:
* Designers taking advantage of the deck-building system as a basis for wargames, as in A Few Acres of Snow.
* Action/dexterity-based wargames (think Catacombs or PitchCar, but with a wargame-esque foundation).

The terror, the terror... yuk

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:

It's not like it hasn't been done before: Little Wars
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Lost Battles is quite innovative: a simulation which is actually a blast to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorgoneion wrote:
Also Lost Battles is quite innovative: a simulation which is actually a blast to play!

Which reminds me - one of the innovations I'd like to see, in both wargames and boardgaming in general, is warp-resistant tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds more like the future of War-Euros. Ick! gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What excites me even more along with innovation (which has always been part of great game wargamming from panzerblitz to upfront) is there are new processes and standards at work in building historic details more fully into consim wargames. Squad level WWII games not based on abstract geomorphic maps but aerial photos of the battle field. Newly researched counter manifests down to regimental level for full battles. Orders of entry capturing every time and condition upon arrival. good times!

So for the future I want better maps and counter manifests!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea from A Few Acres of Snow, and I'm interested to see how it evolves in future games. The concept I think is sound - that capturing certain locations or objectives can give you new options due to the newly acquired resources and facilities at those locations, and that these options can be represented by cards. It may not be implemented perfectly in the first game (it seldom is) but I think this opens up some interesting avenues for further development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I think the whole cards-in-wargames has gone a bit too far. Don't get me wrong, I love many of the CDG's but I'd like to see more new and creative mechanics drafted up for block games, and hex and counter games, and unique "randomless" games like Bowen's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of Euro mechanics in wargames, do any wargames incorporate rondels or auction bidding?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
There was a thread or a list of the first time mechanics were used that I can't find now. If we're going to pin anything how about useful stuff like that?

Seems to me a lot of the future's been tried before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sitnam wrote:
Speaking of Euro mechanics in wargames, do any wargames incorporate rondels or auction bidding?

No rondels that I know of, but there's bidding sometimes. Guess it wouldn't be called "auction bidding" per se, but in Ancient Battles Deluxe players can bid command points, and the high bidder gets the initiative that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

No rondels that I know of, but there's bidding sometimes. Guess it wouldn't be called "auction bidding" per se, but in Ancient Battles Deluxe players can bid command points, and the high bidder gets the initiative that turn.

Mark Herman used the bidding of Command points for initiative in his Pacific War from 1985.
Does this pre-date many of those Euro's? I honestly don't know as I have ZERO interest in Euro's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Sitnam wrote:

I can't imagine rondels - neat mechanic that they are,
it would be tough to simulate anything reasonable
with them.

Most bidding that I've seen is sealed. I could see
a form of force commitment where you're pushing
more and more into sectors being abstracted as
some form of auction though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

The first time I encountered roundel is the game of Imperial. Does that count as a wargame or not?

Map tile placement in Lost Battles is not really that new as it can be found in the earlier Blue vs. Gray, Medieval, even Tobruk. But I think wargames can make use more of that.

Quote:

Bonaparte at Marengo seemed amazing to me when it first came out in 2005. A wargame without dice or cards or CRTs!

Frankly, that's what I dislike for a wargame. Where is the suspense of disbelief?

A recent wargame I found to be innovative is Strike of the Eagles, a Polish design. It uses a card-based order system and a deterministic CRT with cards and modifiers adding up. It is original but then I can call for similar experience in Joan of Arc.

One mechanic I find it seldom being used is the use of combat cards in CRT, i.e. the cross matching of the "tactics", chosen by the players with the cards, on the CRT to determine the results. For example, the tactic of assault cross match with the tactic of fighting withdrawal on the CRT yields 0/DR, etc.. Piling on top of that, different combat strength ratio can be used for assault tactic when the same type of tactic cards are played by both players.

This is not entirely new idea. Some simple CRT based on tactics cards was used in the Hong Kong wargame design of Greatest Tank Battle back in the early 80's. But I haven't seen it being used in the western world designs so far. I am not sure even whether the game has an entry in BGG here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Sitnam wrote:

The first time I encountered roundel is the game of Imperial. Does that count as a wargame or not?

Map tile placement in Lost Battles is not really that new as it can be found in the earlier Blue vs. Gray, Medieval, even Tobruk. But I think wargames can make use more of that.

Quote:

Bonaparte at Marengo seemed amazing to me when it first came out in 2005. A wargame without dice or cards or CRTs!

Frankly, that's what I dislike for a wargame. Where is the suspense of disbelief?

A recent wargame I found to be innovative is Strike of the Eagles, a Polish design. It uses a card-based order system and a deterministic CRT with cards and modifiers adding up. It is original but then I can call for similar experience in Joan of Arc.

One mechanic I find it seldom being used is the use of combat cards in CRT, i.e. the cross matching of the "tactics", chosen by the players with the cards, on the CRT to determine the results. For example, the tactic of assault cross match with the tactic of fighting withdrawal on the CRT yields 0/DR, etc.. Piling on top of that, different combat strength ratio can be used for assault tactic when the same type of tactic cards are played by both players.

This is not entirely new idea. Some simple CRT based on tactics cards was used in the Hong Kong wargame design of Greatest Tank Battle back in the early 80's. But I haven't seen it being used in the western world designs so far. I am not sure even whether the game has an entry in BGG here.

1776 has this EXACT feature back in the early 70's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
I can't imagine rondels - neat mechanic that they are,
it would be tough to simulate anything reasonable
with them.

Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch from something like Bulge 20's G-1, G-2, G-3 type stuff to a Rondel-style mechanic for a brilliant, groundbreaking innovator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:

I don't have that game. Why was the feature not widely used in other wargames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Humphries
Philippines
Unspecified
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

It was used in quite a few games sometimes using cards, sometimes using command or tactic chits. In a way it's the precursor to CDG mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

Off the top of my head
Empires in Arms
War & Peace
Hannibal (IIRC)

but the real difference here is that these are 'strategic' level games.
In the traditional 'tactical battle' wargame, you actually had to implement the tactics yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Ammon
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a basic map board, not paper, depicting terrain with a hex grid overlay, some sturdy counters with no comic book characters, some dice and a few simple charts to be used in a I-go you-go system. Base it on a historical battle, play test it to work the bugs out, and keep it under $40. Now that would be novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

Also in Attila.
It was a rock-paper-scissor thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.