Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In this game there's a rule that says if two boats have the wind blowing at them from the same direction, then the one that is furthest from the wind has the right of way. Is closeness to the wind determined at the beginning of the end of their move?
Does someone always have the right of way? Can it be that no one has the right of way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, right of way should be determined at the beginning of the turn sequence. one boat *always* has the right of way. ... in standard sailing regulation (from which the game's right of way rules are derived), when boats are on the same tack and overlapped then the windward boat must indeed keep clear of a leeward boat. if on the same tack and not overlapped then the boat astern must keep clear of the boat ahead.
cheers,
-g
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wanda Davies
United States
Olympia
Washington (WA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response. Am I right, then, in thinking that the Right of Way Rules make obsolete, or unnecessary, the Blanketing Rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Mills
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi have only just acquired this facinating game and as yet havent played it under even the basic rules. My understanding of 'the right of way' means i may not be able to block your path forward but surely that doesnt prevent me pulling alongside and blocking the wind from reaching your sails thus blanketing you. Hence the 'right of way' would appear not to render blanketing obsolete. Can anyone confirm this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Berthold Nüchter
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
I am the walrus
badge
checkpoint
mbmbmbmbmb
masterclass247 wrote:
Hi have only just acquired this facinating game and as yet havent played it under even the basic rules. My understanding of 'the right of way' means i may not be able to block your path forward but surely that doesnt prevent me pulling alongside and blocking the wind from reaching your sails thus blanketing you. Hence the 'right of way' would appear not to render blanketing obsolete. Can anyone confirm this?

Alan, you are right. According to the 3M rules a player has failed to keep clear if his yacht ends a turn on a space directly in the path of a right-of-way yacht.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.