Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Vengeance is a simple hex and counter game on the Russian drive into eastern Europe, a campaign that saw them utterly dominate their old tormentor, the wehrmacht. Unlike it companion game, [gameid=], Red Vengeance covers a topic usually ignored in World War II wargaming. As such this explains both the appeal and limitations of Red Vengeance.

All of that being I must include a disclaimer. I game with the designer, William Sariego, in the Lexington, Kentucky area. I say this because my review is mostly positive, but not effected by my friendship. I have enjoyed his designs for Defiant Russia and They Shall Not Pass: The Battle of Verdun 1916, but I found Red Russia to be a missed opportunity. I do hope Western Desert Force sees the light of day.

Gameplay (55/70): Red Vengeance is played out in a series of 11 alternating turns, each covering one month of World War II in the east. Each turn begins with a weather roll (optional but suggested) and then the Soviets move, attack, exploit with armor, and then do exploitation combat with armor and shock armies. The Germans repeat this process. Combat is resolved not through a CRT, but instead by what you would expect from Avalanche Press: buckets of dice. Combat factors determine the number of dice rolled, with six results causing hits. Damage, unless exceeding the steps for each unit, may be satisfied through retreat, a popular option for the hard pressed Germans. The game is pretty much this simple and should not surprise veteran wargamers or anyone familiar with Avalanche products.

Battle For Warsaw

Victory in Red Vengeance is determined through a few victory points, which include the capture of key cities, the elimination or preservation of Hitler, and through causing more losses to the enemy. However, with only 11 turns and no limits to how many units can attack, sessions are quite aggressive. The first turn itself is rather infamous in some gaming circles, because Soviet units must always attack Axis units they are adjacent to. The result is that turn one is a dozy, and you had better be ready and be okay with a lot of dice rolling. In general the game, while not long, does not have a quick flow. Also, the Soviet offensive never really loses steam, and the German player really will not have much fun. This is in keeping with the conflict simulated. It is a design challenge that to my knowledge no one has conquered.

Accessibility (6/10): The rules are covered in 24 small pages, and are of themselves not particularly difficult to understand. However, the organization leaves much to be desired and there is a bit more chrome than there was in Defiant Russia. Red Vengeance is not difficult, but it could have been much easier to play.

Components (6/10): It is what you would expect from Avalanche. The units look good but the map is dull. The cities are represented by huts or cartoonish skyscrapers. The Forests look likea collection of Jurassic Period trees. However, this is one of Avalanche’s better maps, since the colors used are decent enough.

Slice of the Map

Historical Quality (6/10): With simpler games I am kinder in this respect, and Red Vengeance has some excellent touches, including the Red Navy, the volkstrumm, and interesting rules for Zhukov and Konev. With supply rules that do not force surrenders, the game is more about bashing than encircling. Therein lies the game’s biggest problem: the first few turns are more like the Somme and a mass Soviet breakthrough is highly unlikely. I found the same problem in Defiant Russia. If not for this glaring mistake, I'd rate Red Vengeance much higher.

Overall (72/100): Red Vengeance tackles a difficult gaming subject and pulls it off with simple rules. However, it is not quite fun due to excessive dice rolling and the combat system used. I wish I could recommend it more highly. Although a sequel of sorts to Defiant Russia, it lacks the tension of that game, which also benefited from fewer units and more interesting gaming situation.

Who Exactly is Shooting at Me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hinrichs
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who Exactly is Shooting at Me?
I believe it was mentioned when the game was published that the cover depicts one of the Soviet woman snipers, obviously returning with vengeance again the wehrmacht which razed 1,000 villages on their way to Moscow.

It's fun to start evening with Strange Defeat, move into Defiant Russia and end with Red Vengeance. This series can be completed in one long evening and you can experience the entire saga.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
arixius wrote:
I believe it was mentioned when the game was published that the cover depicts one of the Soviet woman snipers, obviously returning with vengeance again the wehrmacht which razed 1,000 villages on their way to Moscow.

It's fun to start evening with Strange Defeat, move into Defiant Russia and end with Red Vengeance. This series can be completed in one long evening and you can experience the entire saga.

I figured, but I have to wonder why she is wearing Dick Tracy yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It is a design challenge that to my knowledge no one has conquered.

Ted Racier's Red Storm over the Reich...

Having said that, I am preparing for Ted's game.....your review reminds me of this game somewhere in my closet which I should bring it out for a treat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Quote:
It is a design challenge that to my knowledge no one has conquered.

Ted Racier's Red Storm over the Reich...

Having said that, I am preparing for Ted's game.....your review reminds me of this game somewhere in my closet which I should bring it out for a treat.

Not sure if it is popular enough and many of Raicer's latest designs have left me cold. Still, I'd love to try it out. It also only covers one part of this phase of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Irsik
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the game was fun, but I prefer Defiant Russia over this one. I think the best way to play this game is solitaire unless you can find an opponent for the German side who enjoys getting his head kicked in for the first three quarters of the game. Red Storm Over the Reich is very similar, but on a much large scale in terms of components, complexity, etc. A very good and interesting game, but you need a real masochist or someone who loves defensive battles to play the Germans. In both games, watching your army lose 75% of it's counters in the first three turns isn't what most gamers call fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.