Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Ora et Labora» Forums » Rules

Subject: Placing Prior with Build a Building Action Without Using its Function rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is this legal?

The rules clearly state that you can use the "Place Clergyman in a Building" action without using its function. By analogy, one could read into the rules regarding the "Build a Building" action that if you do so and then place your prior in the newly built building, you are not required to use the building's function.

But, well, is that ruling correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem BOISSON
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, correct, thus preventing the other players to contract you later to use it to their profit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But we still don't have official ruling on using buildings for free as Calefactory states you have to pay 1 coin for doing nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shepherd
United Kingdom
Ovington
Northumberland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
But we still don't have official ruling on using buildings for free as Calefactory states you have to pay 1 coin for doing nothing.

The wording is "If you have neither, then you can use the Calefactory although you will end up paying 1 coin for nothing more than warm feet". (my emphasis)

Page 2 of the main rules say "You can place a clergyman on a building without using its function".

I don't think there's a contradiction here. You can place a clergyman on a calefactory and not use it's function, thereby paying nothing. OR... you can place a clergyman on the calefactory, use the building, and end up paying for no benefit. The comment in the building glossary is a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Bulacz
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope so, but there is no official answer yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Raab
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
I don't think an official answer is really needed, it is clear that you can place a clergyman simply without "using" the building, which means you don't have to pay any costs. This is as designed I believe, as it gives you a mechanism to block others from using buildings, if you want to spend an action doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
pabula wrote:
I hope so, but there is no official answer yet.

Uwe confirms that. The Calefactory statement is a joke. It's correct that you are free to block a building without using its function. Let that be official.

PS: That is I, too, took the joke too seriously. Sorry for the confusion, I've created in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan M
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skanibal wrote:
Yes, correct, thus preventing the other players to contract you later to use it to their profit.

For sure. Could also be useful if you want all your pieces back next turn/round for more options and flexibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mools wrote:
Skanibal wrote:

For sure. Could also be useful if you want all your pieces back next turn/round for more options and flexibility.

The "pieces back next turn" is the reason this discussion came up last night in my first 2-player game. Our on-the-spot ruling was in line with the discussion in this topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.