Isaac Heres
Israel
flag msg tools
*Beep* the US Congress and *Beep* SOPA. There is no reason that this site should be taken down. If this ever happens, Either I shoot myself or not buy anymore boardgames.

Whatever is happening in Washington could affect the world.

it will be a matter of time before Youtube recieves a censorship page from the government

and you know what this means, people like Tom Vasal, Drakkenstrike, and Board to Death TV (my favorite reviewers) won't be able to produce anymore game reviews on the market. they can be out of the job all thanks to those Motherf*cken government who's trying to pass the SOPA bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hendrix
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
Join us for gaming on Friday Nights in Burbank, CA www.FridayNightDice.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Join the play games during the black out geek list

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't that page be in the RSP Forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgamefreak2geek wrote:
Fuck the US Congress and fuck SOPA.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
RaffertyA wrote:

Apparently da rules do not apply to our humble hosts. You know, the ones suddenly concerned about a bill targetting sites which host copyright-infringing media. Like, say, downloadable pdfs which allow people to rip off game publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
potterama wrote:
RaffertyA wrote:

Apparently da rules do not apply to our humble hosts. You know, the ones suddenly concerned about a bill targetting sites which host copyright-infringing media. Like, say, downloadable pdfs which allow people to rip off game publishers.

Now hush, Potter.

If you get suspended, who will keep me amused about questions of aesthetics here on BGG????

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Is there evidence of BGG's not complying with DCMA takedown notices?

I don't think any one of these protesting organizations is intent on protecting piracy; rather, they're protesting an unconstitutional assault on the basic principles of jurisprudence in this country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the many many gems in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri:
Quote:
As the Americans learned so painfully in Earth's final century, free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

- Commissioner Pravin Lal, "U.N. Declaration of Rights"
- Accompanies the Secret Project "The Planetary Datalinks"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Personally, I find this entire stunt to be....odd...given that Pres. Obama has declared that he is going to veto SOPA, and most politicos don't think that the Senate version, PIPA, could make it out either.

This is a dead issue, to be frank, and I'm puzzled over the extent to which that everyone is making it out to be the equivalent to Internet Armageddon.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
This is a dead issue, to be frank, and I'm puzzled over the extent to which that everyone is making it out to be the equivalent to Internet Armageddon.

In part, it's because this bill may be bad enough to fail, but the less uproar there is, the sooner we'll see its properly-machined-to-slip by replacement. This is not the war: this is one in a series of warning shots. The real problem is that so many of our politicians are willing to even consider bills like this, and for that, our only weapon is protest and getting a less broken political system (referring to the completely asinine two-party choke hold on the system, not the mechanical parts of it).

Of course, if BGG actually cared about issues like this, about organizations creating completely unfair and ridiculously broad policies in the name of false protection, we would see them face up to the embarrassment that is their own Terms of Service.

But instead, we just get a big "Wah, this would be bad for us!" page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:

But instead, we just get a big "Wah, this would be bad for us!" page.

Because BGG is not a non-profit website.

The servers cost.

A lot.

The people who work on BGG need to get paid.

If they shut down a day, not only does the whole crew get a wonderful day with no pay at all, but they still have to pay the rent.

Principles are fine. But its a tough enough economy out there without forcing some people to actually pay out of pocket to take a day off from work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:

Of course, if BGG actually cared about issues like this, about organizations creating completely unfair and ridiculously broad policies in the name of false protection, we would see them face up to the embarrassment that is their own Terms of Service.

Honest question, what's wrong with their Terms? I just have a lawyer write them for my sites and trust that he's not doing anything ridiculous. I can barely understand most of them myself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I don't think any one of these protesting organizations is intent on protecting piracy; rather, they're protesting an unconstitutional assault on the basic principles of jurisprudence in this country.

I was not aware that hosting downloadable PDFs of protected intellectual property was a constitutionally protected right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point, for those of you who might not have caught it, is NOT the question of protecting intellectual property. The point is that, according to SOPA and PIPA as currently written, a possibly infringing website can be brought down for up to a year WITHOUT DUE PROCESS. Said site can have its DNS records blocked and be put out of business after a single complaint.

It's not copyright that's being protested, it's HOW SOPA and PIPA propose to "protect" copyright holders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
Personally, I find this entire stunt to be....odd...given that Pres. Obama has declared that he is going to veto SOPA, and most politicos don't think that the Senate version, PIPA, could make it out either.

Darilian

Unfortunately, these things often are dead just long enough for the public uproar to subside, and then they get brought up again and passed quickly. Better to create some fuss that may be remembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
ohbalto wrote:
It's not copyright that's being protested, it's HOW SOPA and PIPA propose to "protect" copyright holders.

Then how is this about "censorship?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Chavez
Mexico
Monterrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
potterama wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I was not aware that hosting downloadable PDFs of protected intellectual property was a constitutionally protected right.

Id like you to meet our good friend, Fair Use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
potterama wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

I'm utterly dumbfounded that any human being would support those bills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Macey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr.Baggins wrote:
potterama wrote:
HuginnGreiling wrote:

I'm familiar with your Fair Use.

Posting the Munchkin rules here I don't care about, though it's freely available from an official site (I guess, can't see behind SOPA blackout but it's presumably run by SJGames) http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/rules/

The other one though, is substantially using a fictional setting that is very reasonably under copyright, not for commentary, criticism, or parody. It would be perfectly legitimate for FOX or whoever owns rights to request it be pulled.

Regardless, HuginnGrelling is right - the big problem with this bill is not related to its aims, but to its methods. It enables quick and easy censorship and can force financial damage on companies that may or may not be doing anything wrong with no oversight or checks on its power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
according to SOPA and PIPA as currently written, a possibly infringing website can be brought down for up to a year WITHOUT DUE PROCESS.

I was under the impression that in the USA, process was no longer due.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The implementation of these bills remind me of this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Potter
United States
Riverside
California
flag msg tools
Mr.Baggins wrote:

I'd love you to meet him too. Fair Use covers academic, critical, and parody usage of media, and even then you may not reproduce the document in toto, only in nominative snippets.

So this is not "Fair Use." It's IP infringement, and Boardgamegeek happily turns a blind eye to it. I am more than willing to concede SOPA is an overpowered piece of legislation, open to potential abuse because its language is vague...but to suggest that this site is some innocent widdle victim is a crock. It is a for-profit entity, and some of that profit comes from traffic driven here by the easy availability of illegal material.

Of *course* they oppose SOPA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
potterama wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

Because SOPA and PIPA don't require any PROOF that something is infringing copyright - simply reporting something as a violation is enough to get a website shut down and removed from DNS listings, effectively removing them from the internet. In addition, the bill states that not only hosting infringing items will get you shut down, but linking to a website that does host infringing items will get you shut down. Not linking to the infringing items - linking to the HOSTED SITE. No warning, no cease and desist, no notification that the site you're linking to contains infringing material...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seanp wrote:
potterama wrote:
ohbalto wrote:

Because SOPA and PIPA don't require any PROOF that something is infringing copyright - simply reporting something as a violation is enough to get a website shut down and removed from DNS listings, effectively removing them from the internet. In addition, the bill states that not only hosting infringing items will get you shut down, but linking to a website that does host infringing items will get you shut down. Not linking to the infringing items - linking to the HOSTED SITE. No warning, no cease and desist, no notification that the site you're linking to contains infringing material...

Exactly, and the inherent danger is that the Government will essentially be able to use copyright as an excuse to take down any site they want... effectively making the USA's internet similiar to that of China's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Dan
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think of it like this:

In one world a guy can make a game based on a TV series he loves.

In the other world he can't.

The second world makes me a little sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.