Hide
8 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Wheel of Time Heroes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
the substandard
msg tools
I've been rereading the Wheel of Time series and playing a lot of this card game, so ideas started bouncing around my head for a Wheel of Time version of the game.

I uploaded some heroes I made here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74599693@N03/

Thanks to GeckoTH for making awesome templates!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friederike
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea and the heroes you created, but I think for making this game really a Wheel-Of-Time game there would need to be many more changes, also with regard to the different phases.

I would buy such a game immediately though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the substandard
msg tools
What sort of changes would you make? I feel like the rules already lend themselves to a WOT sort of adventure really well.

I already have a couple of changes in mind, if I ever make enough cards to actually play a stand-alone game. The first change is that I'm increasing the range of initial threat levels so that there are very powerful characters (like Moiraine and Lan) who have really high threat. I want to make 2 character decks a viable option, by creating powerful high threat characters who have ways to get extra resources.

The second change I was thinking about was removing the first player mechanic because I've always found it annoying to keep track of. That would require some other tweaks to the rules of course... Not really sure if other people find this mechanic as easy to forget as me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
substandard wrote:
What sort of changes would you make?

To begin with, the game would never end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the substandard
msg tools
Quote:
To begin with, the game would never end.

Or I could just die before finishing it..

I added some more characters and I'll probably continue adding one or two (or three?!) cards per day. Any feedback or suggestions? I've been having trouble thinking of abilities for Rand al'Thor, Mat Cauthon, and Thom Merrilin. None of my ideas so far have satisfied me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Couch
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great idea. Are those your drawings or from some other source?

I have been turning over the ideas and inspirations of LotR:TCG in my head for weeks. I have been trying to figure out ways of adapting it beyond LotR as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the substandard
msg tools
I wish they were my drawings... They're from the Wheel of Time wiki which gets images from fan art, the graphic novel, and the original TCG. The artist listed on the bottom of each card is the actual artist.

If you're familiar with the WOT series I'd love having people to bounce ideas around!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alogos teeheehee
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are some better images that can be used for the hero.

Increasing threat for very powerful characters is a good idea... but I don't find that neither Moiraine nor Lan are very powerfull to explain the increase in threat. Except if you decrease the global power of all cards, in that case, it's good. But Tam is quite powerful compared to LoTR heros, and maybe Nynaeve.

As I am reading WoT (book 9 \o/) I was thinking a lot about making WoT fancards. Here's some though :
- Make channelers a keyword like sentinel and ranged, a keyword that 'cost'. Saidin card should have a cost other than ressources (discarding card, putting damage, raising threat etc.). It's not explained but I think that you want saidin/saidar card cost to be paid only by saidar/saidin channeler.
- Threat can represent political power of the opponent. So that will also represent political power.
- Either you keep to the book or you go for hours of inventing new stories...
- Tel'aran rhiod... good luck with that (the best move seems to be : do not include this ^^)

Don't throw away the first player token, it has many uses now with Khazad Dum (introducing the 'last player') and it keep tracks of who is playing. There are a lot of cards that are depending of this token, Theodred is the best example.

Hope it will help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.