John blog
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to buy a character card in the search area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not entirely sure what your question is but here are some answers:

Starfleet acadamy lets you destroy a character you have in your bridge or in your hand and then take a character card in the Starbase area (any of the 9 visible cards, or any of the 3 basic characters) that costs up to 2 more than the card you destroyed.

Cards in the Starbase discard pile that have been "searched" away are not available for purchase or for getting with "upgrade" actions.

You do not buy a character with Starfleet Acadamy, you simply gain it into your discard pile. You cannot combine this with any XP you may have. Your XP must be spent separately purchase cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the question I suspect is being asked (Kamakaze covered this, but to reiterate):

You can use Starfleet Academy to trash any character (basic or non-basic) from your hand or bridge and take a new character (basic or non-basic) that costs up to 2 more from Starbase (the 9 random + 3 basic cards).

I've seen players think that SFA only works to upgrade Ensign -> Lieutenant -> Commander, but it definitely works to say, trash a Lieutenant and get Wesley Crusher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After upgrading a character why do you think it is discarded? Do the rules have any reference to Tharp claim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
End the Shutdown!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
After upgrading a character why do you think it is discarded? Do the rules have any reference to Tharp claim?

I'm not sure if you are asking about the character you started with or the one you gained. Here are the relevant definitions from the glossary.

Page 24 wrote:

Gain - Move a card from Starbase to your discard area.
Upgrade - This is short for "Trash the designated card and gain a card from Starbase costing up to the designated amount more than the trashed card".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.