Popular Tags: [View All]
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the point of view of the scenarios balance, was preferable the Cavalry rule of the second edition of the RuleBook or the third edition is best (is closer in spirit to the simple system)?
I vote for the second edition, but I'd like to know what they think the other players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi TankBoy

Download from File Section my upload and see the 2 edition cavalry rule.

Essentially in the second edition, the cavalry attacking the enemy's cavalry, after rout their enemy, had a good chance of pursuit the routing cavalry off map.

What historically has almost always happened.
At Zama Scipio won because his cavalry, after having wiped out the Carthaginian cavalry was back in time.
Antiochus at Raphia, lose the battle Because is cavalry returned too late.

In the third edition does not.
This further unbalances the scenarios that are still those of the second edition.

Loris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi TankBoy

Apart for the three cases listed in 10.41, now the cavalry pursuit is determined by one TQ roll, against is TQ rating, so the Numidian cavalry rarely pursue and also other Carthaginian, Iberian and Gauls cavalry have only 20% possibility to fall in pursuit.
The drawback of the rule is that without pursuit, the cavalry but also the infantry may not be eliminated on the on same activation, but necessitate of another activation for being eliminated.
The advantage: Little risk to see your cavalry out of map for many turns or for all the scenario (this happen only if the combat is near to enemy retreat edge).
The risk that your cavalry exit from the range of an activable leader is limited and pretty much solved with one leader movement order on the next activation.
The actual rule may be good for the game play, but does not convince me the film of the action, from the Historical perspective.
Do not worry about your lack of experience, enthusiasm is more important.
If you decide to try the game with Vassal contact me.

Loris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To have more generic counters, the best choice is buy Alexander de Luxe.
For Rule book, charts and tables, if you want, I send you one scanned copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.