Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll manage suffering through one day's worth of a redirect. This is a serious issue with implications that will affect how the entire world accesses information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
What if, sopa passes, Bgg is taken down, and the redirect is a site closure message?

Consider this one a role playing experience.

Normally I'd agree with you about rsp, but this one is important enough. If it bothers you that much, you might need to clean the sand out of your undies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

So my second suggestion: Having now twice read about Geekdo's strong stance against online piracy, will you put your money where your mouth is and remove pirated rules sets and articles posted to the site? Or at least remove those user scans of rulebooks that are not in compliance with the BGG upload policy which requires a statement of permission in the file description?

I'd even suffer through another RSP logon if you'd do that...

EDIT: Although I was never recontacted by an admin regarding the issue, I just checked in on the particular file submission I had written about, and it is now gone. So thumbsup for that one, and I guess I am due for another RSP logon.

Hey Mav, I'm not here to pick on you dude. But I think this statement may illustrate why the admins feel it is so necessary to put this into the spotlight again. After watching the RIAA run roughshod over the law, do we need more examples of how these "crusaders" operate? Lawsuits brought against webhosting sites who were already overtaxed trying to police themselves should give BGG good reason to be nervous. The fact that the law would give broad powers to prosecute webhosts that are trying in good faith to comply with laws is disconcertingn to put it mildly. Given the volume of uploads here, it is going to be difficult (again to put it mildly) to be sure BGG is always in compliance. This law goes way past reason.

Yeah, its a big deal. BGG could go away under SOPA. Who needs the headache? Its not worth it.

Also, have a look at Google this morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax. This is far more serious an issue than you have come to understand. Read, research, become informed, then complain if you still have one to make.

As BGG stated in their redirect, they don't normally get political. SOPA and PIPA completely affect sites like this. Deal with it for the time it's up. Go do something else. Don't complain because they're making a statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neverfade wrote:
I think you'll manage suffering through one days's worth of a redirect. This is a serious issue with implications that will affect how the entire world accesses information.

Not if your from outside the USA its not becasue we can do sod all about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Then let your lawmakers know what a horrible precedent this is setting to lessen the blow of future legislation in your country.

Regardless, as this affects everyone here, yes you too, you should absolutely be informed.

Ultimately, this is a US based site and this law can potentially lead to dire consequences for the future of BGG. I would think that above all, as a user you would consider this and give concessions for a brief inconvenience that might protect free speech on the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:
So my second suggestion: Having now twice read about Geekdo's strong stance against online piracy, will you put your money where your mouth is and remove pirated rules sets and articles posted to the site? Or at least remove those user scans of rulebooks that are not in compliance with the BGG upload policy which requires a statement of permission in the file description?
Just a side note: Permissions for files to be posted are to be obtained by the poster. In the current system there is a separate field for indicating where permission to post the content was obtained. Unfortunately, that field is NOT shown on the file page, so you would not see that permission was granted in newer posted files. I have requested users to also put it in the description so that everyone knows that permission was obtained, but that mostly does not happen.

Also, in older file pages, before the explicit permission was required if a file had a copyright on it, it was rejected unless explicit permission was obtained. Also, rules scans are rejected unless permission is obtained. Sometimes things can slip through, but if the file reviewer is following the protocol, then they should be rejected. Again, these permissions were handled and confirmed via messages, and unfortunately, there was not a field at the time to log the permissions.

That being said, if a publisher requests removal of a file, it is removed. Many publishers want to see their games have the reference materials hosted on BGG. If they do not, they can be removed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
Neverfade wrote:
I think you'll manage suffering through one days's worth of a redirect. This is a serious issue with implications that will affect how the entire world accesses information.

You can write to the companies that are supporting SOPA and tell them what you think. Tell them you won't buy their products. Write to your MP and tell them what this could do to websites run by British companies, i.e. no business from the US if they are blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xookliba wrote:

In the UK there was no difference. What did they do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
MungSu wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

You can write to the companies that are supporting SOPA and tell them what you think. Tell them you won't buy their products. Write to your MP and tell them what this could do to websites run by British companies, i.e. no business from the US if they are blocked.

Here is a list of major companies supporting SOPA:*

http://theoriesofconspiracy.com/2011/11/list-of-major-compan...

* This list has not been verified by myself personally. Please be sure to confirm that they are still in support of the bill before taking any consumer response action against a specific company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
Xookliba wrote:

In the UK there was no difference. What did they do?

There was (is, as of this writing) a large black box covering the logo and the click-through link is here: SOPA: take action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Stu
msg tools
mbmb
Quote:

Just replace SOPA by ACTA, then there is enough to worry...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably should have completely shut down today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Solamar wrote:
The Maverick wrote:
Just a side note: Permissions for files to be posted are to be obtained by the poster. In the current system there is a separate field for indicating where permission to post the content was obtained. Unfortunately, that field is NOT shown on the file page, so you would not see that permission was granted in newer posted files. I have requested users to also put it in the description so that everyone knows that permission was obtained, but that mostly does not happen.

Also, in older file pages, before the explicit permission was required if a file had a copyright on it, it was rejected unless explicit permission was obtained. Also, rules scans are rejected unless permission is obtained. Sometimes things can slip through, but if the file reviewer is following the protocol, then they should be rejected. Again, these permissions were handled and confirmed via messages, and unfortunately, there was not a field at the time to log the permissions.

That being said, if a publisher requests removal of a file, it is removed. Many publishers want to see their games have the reference materials hosted on BGG. If they do not, they can be removed.

Another issue here is some of these really old games were published by companies long gone. No one to contact, no designer contact info. If you lose your manual, what are you to do? I personally think if its an old game long gone and the publisher is long gone and there's no contact info for the designer, then put it up. If someone gets upset they can easily contact an admin to have it removed. From my experience, most designers are happy to have manuals up for those missing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
1st, if the user uploaded the file and claimed they had permission why is it BGG's responsibility to confirm that. Do you in fact know that the person that posted it did not have permission. Sure, I'd speculate they did not, but I don't think it should be BGG's responsibility to confirm the copyright information of every file that is uploaded.

2nd, I think BGG should do whatever they see fit to ensure they stay online. If you don't like how they do it than maybe you should start your own game site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MungSu wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Neverfade wrote:

As I rfuse to but CD's (well I will if they are £1) and refuse to pay over £3 a disk for DVD's I don't anyway. Also what could my MP do, when was the last time the US actualy listened tp this country (and come to that when was the lst time this country stood up to the US over an issue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.