Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline's (excellent) review got me to thinking, as I often do with games with so many pieces, about how to store them all so as to reduce setup time (and slake my obsessive-compulsive tendencies).

The approach I came up with early on was to put each detective and their accoutrements into a 1-gallon freezer bag. This fits the box well, though I'm thinking of switching to 1-quart bags, which would be plenty big for all the components, but leave less room for them to slide around.
So if I'm playing Raymond, I've got his sheet, his ruler, his cards, his warrants and NPC favors, and even his starting dropship pass all in one place and ready to go. I should probably also put the player-specific starting leads in these bags, but haven't yet, for fear that the other players or I will get confused or misplace them.

The shared pieces get their own bags: sandwich bags for the evidence, conspiracy tiles and starting stuff (i.e. testimony leads, Lily, Jimmy, scene of the crime, first player marker, etc), and smaller (2"x3") bags for the hits, haas/jinteki tokens, dropship passes, and so on. The nice thing about this last part is that you don't need to pour everything into piles all over the board as the game seems to expect you to do; you can just tidily set that little bag of hits right by Humanity Labor (or wherever, really) and spend most of the game ignoring it until Rachel needs one.

Does anyone have any other/better solutions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
TheFlatline's (excellent) review got me to thinking, as I often do with games with so many pieces, about how to store them all so as to reduce setup time (and slake my obsessive-compulsive tendencies).

The approach I came up with early on was to put each detective and their accoutrements into a 1-gallon freezer bag. This fits the box well, though I'm thinking of switching to 1-quart bags, which would be plenty big for all the components, but leave less room for them to slide around.
So if I'm playing Raymond, I've got his sheet, his ruler, his cards, his warrants and NPC favors, and even his starting dropship pass all in one place and ready to go. I should probably also put the player-specific starting leads in these bags, but haven't yet, for fear that the other players or I will get confused or misplace them.

The shared pieces get their own bags: sandwich bags for the evidence, conspiracy tiles and starting stuff (i.e. testimony leads, Lily, Jimmy, scene of the crime, first player marker, etc), and smaller (2"x3") bags for the hits, haas/jinteki tokens, dropship passes, and so on. The nice thing about this last part is that you don't need to pour everything into piles all over the board as the game seems to expect you to do; you can just tidily set that little bag of hits right by Humanity Labor (or wherever, really) and spend most of the game ignoring it until Rachel needs one.

That's nearly identical to what I do, Evan. Bagging the individual character's stuff together is probably the biggest time saver, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really! That's very similar to how I do it. I have all the detective-specific cards, rulers, tokens, etc. in their own bag, while all the communal tokens are in a Plano-style box that we keep next to the board during play. Works well so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did exactly as Evan suggests. It works fine.

As a side note, I hate FFG setup intructions (in almost every game) "place these tokens near that board element". I'll do as I wish, I'll keep the tokens in the box until I need them, or I will spread them evenly around the 4 sides fo the board, as I see fit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The table setup is big. On opposing table corners have a supply of the things all players are reaching for - baggage, favors, etc. Or put them in cups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Panella
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:

As a side note, I hate FFG setup intructions (in almost every game) "place these tokens near that board element". I'll do as I wish, I'll keep the tokens in the box until I need them, or I will spread them evenly around the 4 sides fo the board, as I see fit.

You know, I usually do too, but I set Android up as suggested by the rulebook earlier this week and it actually worked fairly well. Still, I refuse to put the favor tokens near their corresponding city locations. Those are staying in a bag until needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.