Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last Hearth Lancers

I like them. The two possible formations make for interesting decisions and Wedge in particular can be fun, because lots of target possibilities with pursue 3.
The vulnerability against ranged attackers nicely balances the advantages and also has an effect on tactics (be careful to avoid being in LOS / attack archers first).

Mormont Shieldmaidens

The effect from Defender was not as pronounced as I would have hoped. You have to remember that the defend tokens get removed at the start of each round, and act accordingly. But on the other hand the effect of a defend token exists sort of invisibly: it makes your opponent think twice about attacking that unit, and in that way can affect tactics more than might be apparent when just watching movement and attacks. The combination of advance and defender is well-designed and works.
Defender becomes more powerful with the matching command cards. I was not really able to use this in the scenarios we played, but the possibilities are definitely interesting.

Manderly Trident Bearers

These were actually better that I thought. The +1 die against cavalry is a nice threat, but I did not think that I would be tempted to use deflect, because the cost of an order token seemed too high. I was wrong, though - I actually used this twice in scenario 16, and it was quite useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing against those units, i feared the trident guys the most. They are four, hurt cavalry bad, and do have the opportunity to prevent themselves from getting killed, so i never could count on them to die, which made for tough choices (and some mistakes by me, as it turned out).

Shield maidens were just slightly better then the warhost, i could avaoid attacking them when in defender-mode all the time, and they lost their tokens at rounds end, so i just charged at the beginning of new rounds.

The lancers made some nasty rolls, but they have to avoid archers, and do have only three figures, so with a little effort htey can be handled or put to reduced strength at least quite easy. They are good, and did some nice moves, but did not frighten me as the tridents did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you all are using all of the Optional Rules..."Coordinated Attacks"..."Reduced Strength Units"...and others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
Sounds like you all are using all of the Optional Rules..."Coordinated Attacks"..."Reduced Strength Units"...and others?

Using "Coordinated Attacks", "Reduced Strength Units", and "Any Card to Order 1 Unit" is basically the default by now. "Withdrawals" is a bit more controversial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.