Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: books [+] [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone else reading these at the moment? I never read fantasy novels but decided to try the first book on an impulse in the book shop & now I am completely captivated by the whole thing.

I have just started reading the 3rd book; A Storm Of Swords (Part 1 - Steel & Snow).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
im almost done with the 2nd.

its like a medieval dune.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
I should be done with the second book before the next HBO series begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read as far as the end of "A feast of crows", but that one was a bit disappointing, it felt a bit bland and the whole thing felt a bit padded out. The previous books were great, but I cant help feeling some of the later ones have got more long winded and directionless as they have gone on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:
I have read as far as the end of "A feast of crows", but that one was a bit disappointing, it felt a bit bland and the whole thing felt a bit padded out. The previous books were great, but I cant help feeling some of the later ones have got more long winded and directionless as they have gone on.

That is my worry; that the further I read into the books, the more unnecessary that they were written at all they may seem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about 2/3 through book 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
was once a plant in a fruit plot
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinion/Verdict:
Book 1 -- awesome; one of the best fantasy works.
Books 2 & 3 -- very, very good, though a shade worse than Book 1.
Book 4 -- decent, but Martin's lack of work in worldbuilding is letting the seems show; still a decent enough book.
Book 5 -- bad; some good stuff, but here the seems that showed in Book 4 are starting to fray and break apart. He leaves us with 3 things resolved, but leaves 9 or more cliffhangers dangling. His inability to get one character out of the mess he put her in forces him to create another one to do her job -- argh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want good-to-great, consistant fantasy I would suggest Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series (just 3 books and complete) and R Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" series (3 books in the first series, plus another done in the second).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
A Dance w/ Dragons is back up to his usual standards, IMO (maybe I just really like Tyrion). It was better than the previous one. He should have rather kept them as one volume and just cut out the over-reaching parts. Maybe the boring bits from Feast for Crows are critical to the master plan. At any rate, he could take a dump and put a title page on it for the remaining books and I'd have to read them as I'm totally hooked at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
If you want good-to-great, consistant fantasy I would suggest Brandon Sanderson's "Mistborn" series (just 3 books and complete) and R Scott Bakker's "Prince of Nothing" series (3 books in the first series, plus another done in the second).

I really tried to like Sanderson's Mistborn books. I liked the first book well enough, but by book 3 I was skipping whole pages of the repetitious self doubt of all the major characters. Ok, they are conflicted I get it, either present something new or get on with it. Still, the series had a pretty good ending and it shows that Sanderson had it all laid out before beginning, unlike Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (aka Game of Thrones).

As far as good fantasy series I have read recently, I know they were published a while ago, but Jack Vance's Lyonesse trilogy really blew me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Martin's lack of work in worldbuilding...

Just out of interest, what do you mean by this? I thought GRRM had done a very good job of creating the world of Westeros & the different areas of it so far, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Osiris Ra wrote:

Just out of interest, what do you mean by this? I thought GRRM had done a very good job of creating the world of Westeros & the different areas of it so far, etc...

For the politics and the building of the family histories, I will give him an A+. For a lot of the other world building, especially the portions with Denaerys, a solid C-. That part of the world seems suited for one thing only and that is as a shallow vessel in which Denaerys story is driven through...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the first three books multiple times. They're among my favorite fantasy books. The last two just kind of fell flat. They were bloated and didn't seem to move the story forward in any kind of meaningful way. And I'm hoping we don't have to wait 10 years for the next installment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
tonksey wrote:
Osiris Ra wrote:

For the politics and the building of the family histories, I will give him an A+. For a lot of the other world building, especially the portions with Denaerys, a solid C-. That part of the world seems suited for one thing only and that is as a shallow vessel in which Denaerys story is driven through...

Exactly. There is stuff there, but it feels like he's just spinning plates and making stuff up as he goes along. The Free Cities seem to lack in character, especially when compared to Westeros. Qaarth (sp?) and the Slave Cities feel vague. It seems like with these he's going, "I need something here. Wouldn't it be cool if added X there." Everything outside of Westeros feels forced, including the ghostly greyscale.

Mind you, the Westeros stuff is incredibly well done. This is why the lack in these other places shows so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Burnett
United States
Victorville
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
Mind you, the Westeros stuff is incredibly well done. This is why the lack in these other places shows so.

But he's very good at describing food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every character in the book has to say "teats" at least once. I worry that a lot of places in the books seem to be re-hashes of bits of the earlier works as if he is cutting and pasting stuff here and there or maybe the line of books is now so long it just feels that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have read the first four, currently about 20% through the fifth. I am enjoying the story, but it is dragging on a bit.

I don't like how he pushed the story line in book 4 with only a few characters, and then he's done a rewind in book five for the other characters, and everything will merge towards the end of book five.

That's my only major complaint.

Otherwise, I recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that really bothers me about the TV show is its use of whore'sposition (tits'position?) Everytime they need to do backstory, someone is doing in front of a naked woman, likely a prostitute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the first and second, will read the third when the tv show's second season is over.
Great story, if you skip the endless meals and clothings descriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
http://www.theonion.com/articles/these-last-two-are-gonna-be...

"It's funny 'cause it's true."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I've found them all varying degrees of great.
It helps to not go into each book with expectations of what you think should/will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Adelaide
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brerfrog wrote:
Osiris Ra wrote:

But he's very good at describing food.

I don't know, he was a bit vague on Manderly's pork pies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Layden
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the box set last year, got about 10 chapters in on the first book and gave up. Too many characters make the whole thing confusing, I hate having to continuously flick backwards through the pages to remind myself who people are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri Balofsky
Israel
Tel Mond
HaSharon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
The one thing that really bothers me about the TV show is its use of whore'sposition (tits'position?) Everytime they need to do backstory, someone is doing in front of a naked woman, likely a prostitute.

It's called sexposition.

Hodor Hodor Hodor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Read them. Loved them. Epic. The series are among the best books I've ever read. I hope I can avoid everything that has to do with the TV series. I hate it when I see actors playing characters I did not visualize myself. These are my characters!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.