Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Do you have to have both Melee and Wizard in order to play the microquests (such as grailquest)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you do not need both but it is advisable to have both.

If I remember correctly each quest does have an element of magic in them.

The Death Test quests focus on armed combat but there are magical encounters.

I don't have all the quests but know some do focus on magic.

There are also advanced rules for Wizard and Melee as well as a reference book (In the Labyrinth) for campaigning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Holder
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
munchkinloser7 wrote:
Do you have to have both Melee and Wizard in order to play the microquests (such as grailquest)?

While teaching my son this system, I've taught him Melee and we have played Death Test a few times. Some of the microquests provide viable enough alternatives for not having Wizard. Basically Death Test, and Death Test 2 are viable without Magic, if I recall. I seem to recall Grail Quest is too. Security Station is hazy in my mind, but would probably work fine with just Melee.

Orb Quest and Master of the Amulets really require Wizard - in my opinion anyway. I can't remember if the "Treasure of the..." microquests depend enough on Wizard. All provide the option to not use Wizard, but I don't think I'd enjoy Orb or Amulets much without it.

That said, Wizard does make them all a richer experience.

As a teen, I played most of them with Advanced Melee and Advanced Wizard and the ITL book, so 'Talents' entered into things too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:

If I remember correctly each quest does have an element of magic in them.
you misremember. Several have no magic at all. Grailquest has nothing needing wizard.

Grailquest requires only one of: Melee, Advanced Melee, or Dragons of Underearth. It disallows Wizards, but "knights" might have a single spell or two as an option.

Death test: Requires Melee, allows Wizard as addition.

Neither has magic using opponents that I can find on a quick skim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC, you can play them with just Melee. Wizard (and the magical rules) an optional component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dubin
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
IIRC, you can play them with just Melee. Wizard (and the magical rules) an optional component.

Well, sure, but Legends of the Ancient World is available free of charge from the Dark City Games website, and it's essentially a TFT clone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
I've been Banished to Oregon... Gaming in Corvallis, living in Alsea... Need gamers willing to try new things...
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
ddubin wrote:
Robrob wrote:

Well, sure, but Legends of the Ancient World is available free of charge from the Dark City Games website, and it's essentially a TFT clone.

Not quite a clone. It does things differently, but uses the same stats. Talents are noticeably less effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Andersen
United States
Athens
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mb
Basically my question is can you play Grailquest with just the Wizard game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hostman
United States
Alsea
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The Splattered Imperium
mbmbmbmbmb
munchkinloser7 wrote:
Basically my question is can you play Grailquest with just the Wizard game?

No. But what you're missing can be made up with using Legends of the Ancient World (The almost-clone).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always pick up Kwanchai's redesign of Melee and then you will have both ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.