Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which boardgame would you recommend for this battle?

Living in MS this is the closest major battle to us and largest in number of boardgames.

Vicksburg gets a little attention and I think Corinth has like 2-3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Columbia's Shiloh is a good game that can be played on a weekday evening (3 hours or so). It's not spectacular but if you haven't already played any Columbia games it's a great way to learn their basic mechanics, which then opens up a whole slew of well respected games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kiraly wrote:
What type of scale/difficulty are you looking for?

hadnt really thought about it, probably something an average boardgamer could grasp?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Columbia game I believe would be a good one. Another you might find at a reasonable price on the secondary market would be Fury in the West. It is a bit older game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
kiraly wrote:
. If you're looking for something more involved in the future be sure to check out April's Harvest by The Gamers. A very nice treatment on the topic...

Is. Still, I'd prefer other CWB games to it - especially for starters
on the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
Cleitus the Black wrote:
Columbia's Shiloh is a good game that can be played on a weekday evening (3 hours or so). It's not spectacular but if you haven't already played any Columbia games it's a great way to learn their basic mechanics, which then opens up a whole slew of well respected games.

I second this suggestion: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/610802/the-best-game-on-shil...

The second best would be this title: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/434896/bergs-second-stab...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peso Pete wrote:
shakespear wrote:
kiraly wrote:
What type of scale/difficulty are you looking for?

hadnt really thought about it, probably something an average boardgamer could grasp?

If I were to pick a wargame to play with someone on the Battle of Shiloh, I would pick the old West End title The Battle of Shiloh. It is playable over the course of a day and is a lot of fun. Even though it is out of print, it is readily available from secondary suppliers and at a reasonable price.

I agree, this is a great game. Its on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I would recommend Fury in the West. It has some interesting mechanics, is fast playing and easy enough to get your mind wrapped around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up in West Tennessee and have been to Shiloh a few times. It's a really fantastic battlefield. But I've never played a wargame on that battle, even though I've got a copy of Bloody April sitting in my closet. Much as I love that big load of cardboard, it's supposed to be one of the worst games in Berg's old SPI/TSR Great Battles of the American Civil War series. Just too many artillery types in the same batteries and too much fatigue and ammo to keep track of. Some people have probably tried it with retro-fitted rules from the later games in the system. Don't know if that worked well or not.

Corinth, on the other hand, is my favorite game of the SPI Berg GBACW system. It's a fabulous game. Not to hard to understand and play, but it would be especially fun with multiple players.

Don't know if Tupelo or Bryce's Crossroads from that GBACW system are good or not, but they are battles set in Mississippi. They came in a magazine issue, I believe titled as the Horse Soldiers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Shiloh battlefield still pretty much as it was?...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
I've only played Columbia's Shiloh game once, and it was solo, but movement seems very slow, much like a chess game where you push here and there to eventually push your trrops thru to gain advantage. It seems good, but in slow motion. I would prefer a more. Fluid strategic treatment of the battle of Shiloh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Chick (Formerly Paul O'Sullivan)
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
designer
Fag an bealac! Riam nar druid ar sbarin lann! Cuimhnigidh ar Luimnech agus feall na Sassonach! Erin go Bragh! Remember Limerick! Remember Ireland and Fontenoy!
badge
Well, I'm afraid it'll have to wait. Whatever it was, I'm sure it was better than my plan to get out of this by pretending to be mad. I mean, who would have noticed another madman round here?
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayMe1 wrote:
I've only played Columbia's Shiloh game once, and it was solo, but movement seems very slow, much like a chess game where you push here and there to eventually push your trrops thru to gain advantage. It seems good, but in slow motion. I would prefer a more. Fluid strategic treatment of the battle of Shiloh.

Actually, I think this captures the battle pretty well. The tangled woods and gullies made it more of a shoving contest. A Shiloh game can be many things, but fluid might be a reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyvek wrote:

I would recommend Fury in the West. It has some interesting mechanics, is fast playing and easy enough to get your mind wrapped around it.

I found this game easy to learn and very entertaining to play. In order to win, you have to learn how to 'pace' yourself -- ie, give your units periods of rest in order for them to pick up stragglers. Of course, it's a balancing act, because as the Confederate you have to keep up the pressure (on the first day), and as the Union you don't dare pull too many units out of the front line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Chance
United States
Madison
MS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Iv'e only been to Corinith (administered by Shiloh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
kiraly wrote:
. If you're looking for something more involved in the future be sure to check out April's Harvest by The Gamers. A very nice treatment on the topic...

on the series.

As much of a CWB buff that I am, I'd have to agree. To start the series, I'd play Champion Hill, Perryville, or No Better Place To Die (at least some of the smaller scenarios from that one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:
calandale wrote:
kiraly wrote:

on the series.

As much of a CWB buff that I am, I'd have to agree. To start the series, I'd play Champion Hill, Perryville, or NoBetter Place To Die (at least some of the smaller scenarios from that one).

How does A Fearful Slaughter: The Battle of Shiloh stack up (I appreciate it is a bit beyond the level of size and complexity sought by the original poster - but I am interested ...)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Very much so. Along with Antietam, it is the park most closely resembling its original appearance. Chickamauga is also very good that way, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malcolm C wrote:
TommyD wrote:
calandale wrote:
kiraly wrote:

on the series.

As much of a CWB buff that I am, I'd have to agree. To start the series, I'd play Champion Hill, Perryville, or NoBetter Place To Die (at least some of the smaller scenarios from that one).

How does A Fearful Slaughter: The Battle of Shiloh stack up (I appreciate it is a bit beyond the level of size and complexity sought by the original poster - but I am interested ...)?

I was in on several of the playtests and the game played fine at the time. IMHO the developer screwed the pooch on production. Dean made good on the developer's mistakes, though. He fixed glitches in maps, errata, and I believe the black and white TEC (if I'm not mistaken about this last item). I think the game represents the battle very well. One thing I'd like to have seen was a simulation based upon the initial plans of A.S. Johnston, which called for using the central position and cutting Grant off from the landing and driving him towards Owl Creek. Oh well, maybe someone can come up with that one with the new LoB rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TommyD wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Very much so. Along with Antietam, it is the park most closely resembling its original appearance. Chickamauga is also very good that way, too.

Thanks for that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas DeFranco
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
TommyD wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Thanks for that...

Any time. My pleasure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.