Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I know that First Sparks has really only just come on line especially with the Rio version.

The question is how does this compare with the original Power Grid?

Trying to decide between the two, I can see a lot of similarity's but also a few new elements as well

How re-playable is First Sparks? As you really only have the 6 tiles for the board from what I can see, how is the depth of Strategy in this one?. I know it is still early and quite possibly there might be expansions for this version?

Anyway I look forward to anyone that can give me insight into the newest version compared to the old one.

I had the original PG, gifted it to a fellow geek but now feel the need for at least one version of PG back in my collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadeu Zubaran
Brazil
Porto Alegre
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope this helps, to be honest I don;t think there will be a clear cut answer, it depends on your group. Now I think FS is a better option (and I tend to prefer heavier games) because there is less accountant work, but I also have doubts about long term replayability.

tkzubaran wrote:

It is very very similar.

It is a clear attempt to keep the power grid core and streamline it. I think it was partly successful, it still has the dynamic market aspect and the are control pretty much like the original (but with a random generated map which is a big plus for me), it cut much of the accountant work of the original one.

The auction was substituted by a drafting mechanism that also makes the game faster and keeps the catch up mechanism of the original just as important as the original. I also liked the introduction of the technology, I feel like the original power grid could benefit from a similar concept but the original is long enough as it is.

What I think may play against first sparks is that it became a bit too simplistic and I don't know if it will hold to repeated plays as well as the original. I also preffer the original theme much better, it is a more interesting theme IMO and it integrates perfectly with the gameplay, theme integration in first sparks is not so strong.

As it stands I like both games, first sparks a bit better, but I don't love neither as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that some would call FS Powergrid Lite.
To me it is more PG Fast.

A game really does last about 1 hour (or even less) once you know what you are doing.

The arithmetic you (should) need is a lot simpler, but don't let that fool you into thinking that it is an easier game.

On the contrary it is very unforgiving, one mistake will probably lose you the game. Now that can happen in "real" PG but you may often get the chance to drag yourself back into contention - there is no time for that in FS as the game probably lasts less than 10 turns.

Replayablilty? Not yet clear but probably at least as much as any single map in PG.

Strategy? It has less of the feel of a "railway" game and more that of an "area-occupation" (not really control) one.

The theme is probably more non-geek friendly than power distribution. It doesn't have the feel of being "pasted-on" but I could easily see how it could be rethemed to space* and probably to fantasy.

Expansions? Interesting question, I suspect FF will be "encouraged" to produce one (perhaps some alternate "maps", maybe one or two promo technologies) but it doesn't really have the "design space" of PG for major additions.

I'd also expect to see it on the Apple appstore (maybe also the Android one) before long.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oh, , are we going to see "Star Trek, the First Sparks"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Watertown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played FS once and, so far, prefer original PG.

That said, since you owed PG once and gave it away, save your money and get a game that you might like more. I could be wrong, but the games feel similar enough that I don't think FS will capture too many non-fans of PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
I knocked off five games of FS and felt like I'd seen enough. Fun game, but I'll stick with original PG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
furtherbum wrote:
I've played FS once and, so far, prefer original PG.

That said, since you owed PG once and gave it away, save your money and get a game that you might like more. I could be wrong, but the games feel similar enough that I don't think FS will capture too many non-fans of PG.

Hi Chris,

It wasn't that I gave it away because I didn't like it. Actually I loved it. I gave it to a great person who on their own back organised a charity auction for Christchurch Red Cross Appeal when the February Earthquake struck.

I knew he loved the game, and I had some of it pimped. It was my way of saying thankyou for what he did
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
I knocked off five games of FS and felt like I'd seen enough. Fun game, but I'll stick with original PG.

Thanks Doug, did the game play feel a little too simple? or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty1982 wrote:
dougadamsau wrote:

Thanks Doug, did the game play feel a little too simple? or something else?

It's fine - it's not too simple, but not sure about the re-playability, especially with PG on the shelf. I am trying to churn the collection down to under 150 games so I had an ulterior motive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I've played the original PG and I wouldn't exactly call it a bastion of replayability. IMHO the replayabilty was found in the:

1. mix of areas you'd use each game + 2 maps included in the original
2. random draw of the powerplants
3. how players approached the auction

How do these relate to the changes in PG:FS and the its replayability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dahl
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Replayability in FS is similar to PG in that a lot of has to do with the order that technology is made available. That said, there is also the tiles that make up the map, so for each game the map will be different.

So in terms of pure randomness, there is a lot of differences in how the game will be setup and play, so replayability is quite high.

I would definitely agree with Andy Holt that First Sparks is Power Grid: Fast mode. The game plays very quickly. This last weekend I was able to teach the game to 5 people and play a 6 player game in under 2 hours. I imagine that we will be able to play a 6 player game in an hour easily once we get the rules down. That is a big advantage to me, because while I enjoy a good 2-3 hour game, it's nice to have a faster game that isn't just a filler.

Ultimately, there are advantages to both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for these responses, they've helped me decide to let someone else buy this if they want to play it on game night!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a lot of thought, I picked up the original game thanks to all who contributed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gardiner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dyeyk2000 wrote:
Interesting. I've played the original PG and I wouldn't exactly call it a bastion of replayability.

For some games, like Chess/Go/Checkers/Hearts, this is not the biggest concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Roberts
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you give a look to Power Grid: Factory Manager?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grantor wrote:
dyeyk2000 wrote:
Interesting. I've played the original PG and I wouldn't exactly call it a bastion of replayability.

For some games, like Chess/Go/Checkers/Hearts, this is not the biggest concern.

?????

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Woodland
New Zealand
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiznillz wrote:

Bought it, felt it was too simple for some reason. It felt like Power Grid light, so didn't last long before a trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skiznillz wrote:

That one plays nothing like Power Grid. There's no map, for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you like Power Grid? I enjoy it a lot. I own the game but like to play online at BSW.

hope to see you online sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.