Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When preparing the Planning Deck for the start of the game, take the Local Headlines event and shuffle it with six other cards from the 28 that form the bottom part of the deck. Place those seven cards on top of the bottom section. That will reduce the "every other card is an event" chaos that happens in the late Town phase and turns some people off. You can reduce it further by reducing the number of cards you shuffle with Local Headlines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Original: With a perfect shuffle, 1 event every 2 cards in the final 28 planning deck.

Variant: With a perfect original shuffle, you have 3 events in the top 6 cards that you shuffle the headlines card into. You now have 4 events in the first 7 cards. The remaininng 21 cards still alternate.

Sounds like you made it worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Original: With a perfect shuffle, 1 event every 2 cards in the final 28 planning deck.

Variant: With a perfect original shuffle, you have 3 events in the top 6 cards that you shuffle the headlines card into. You now have 4 events in the first 7 cards. The remaininng 21 cards still alternate.

Sounds like you made it worse.

Local Headlines forces the discard pile to be shuffled into the remaining deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So now I can count cards and anticipate roughly where the Headlines car will be.

Not sure what you are fixing here. The Event cards make the game interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might actually try this method. I don't mind the chaos that occurs in the later parts of the game... but since on the first time thru the event deck all events are towards the back half, it really does make it over whelming at times, as you are more likely to see back to back event cards since there are less non-events in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
So now I can count cards and anticipate roughly where the Headlines car will be.

Many people say that the events are too clumped together the first time through the Planning Deck, since all 14 are in the bottom 28 cards. I like having the events, but having every second card be an event is too much.

You could count and anticipate the Local Headlines card. That's no different from being able to do so for the Airport, Sports Team, and Olympics events which are placed in their decks in a similar manner. I don't think there's much advantage in being able to predict its appearance once during the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A slightly similar, even more deterministic method would be to dump that "bottom 28" Planning Cards into the discard pile right at the start -- except for Local Headlines. Then after you get through the top part of the deck, you get to shuffle for sure.

I know that's effectively what was suggested by the OP. What he has done is take this simple concept and arrange it to match the way the other decks work, which is nice, too.

Either way, I think this is a nice way to address one of the slight frustrations I have with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy Gibson
United States
flag msg tools
http://boardgametop10s.com/audio/bg10.xml
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it occurred to me on further examination that you'd have the Urban Renewal cards in the deck a lot sooner. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but thought I'd mention it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aweberman wrote:
Although it occurred to me on further examination that you'd have the Urban Renewal cards in the deck a lot sooner. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, but thought I'd mention it.

Not that much sooner. On average you'll be getting about seven permit cards out of the bottom 28 in a normal setup. That's 3-5 player turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

Many people say that the events are too clumped together the first time through the Planning Deck, since all 14 are in the bottom 28 cards. I like having the events, but having every second card be an event is too much.

You could count and anticipate the Local Headlines card. That's no different from being able to do so for the Airport, Sports Team, and Olympics events which are placed in their decks in a similar manner. I don't think there's much advantage in being able to predict its appearance once during the game.

But there is: You are then able to predict with small uncertainty when the Urban Renewal cards *come into play*. That is one of the inherent changes the game gives you across multiple plays. Sometimes it's early in the last 28, sometimes mid, or sometimes late. The Airport, Sports Team, and Olympic Games are *not* the same as Headlines. This can change the game significantly. Now you've made Headlines and the Urban Renewal cards a predictable (less chaotic) element to the game, and I think that is bad.

I personally don't like it, but of course, play as you like, no problem. Just bringing these things up that you may not be aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
pilight wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

But there is: You are then able to predict with small uncertainty when the Urban Renewal cards *come into play*. That is one of the inherent changes the game gives you across multiple plays. Sometimes it's early in the last 28, sometimes mid, or sometimes late. The Airport, Sports Team, and Olympic Games are *not* the same as Headlines. This can change the game significantly. Now you've made Headlines and the Urban Renewal cards a predictable (less chaotic) element to the game, and I think that is bad.

I personally don't like it, but of course, play as you like, no problem. Just bringing these things up that you may not be aware of.

You can predict when the Urban Renewal cards will be shuffled into the deck. When they will actually become available is no more predictable than ever.

I do find it amusing that someone who didn't know what Local Headlines did a few posts back now wants to point out things I might not be aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pilight wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
pilight wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:

You can predict when the Urban Renewal cards will be shuffled into the deck. When they will actually become available is no more predictable than ever.

I do find it amusing that someone who didn't know what Local Headlines did a few posts back now wants to point out things I might not be aware of.

Glad you were amused. I suppose posting from work without the game in front of me has its drawbacks. Get back to use when you come up with something that actually improves the game. this isn't it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
And then I traded away my copy..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
Get back to use when you come up with something that actually improves the game. this isn't it.

It's a variant. It addresses an issue that several people have raised in other threads. If it's not an issue for you and whoever you play with, don't use it.

I've used this variant and everyone I've played it with has said they prefer it to the RAW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Furman
United States
Elmhurst
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By artificially forcing the Local Headlines event to happen sooner, you could be generally delaying the arrival of the events that allow the placement of the 12 wealth marker and 6 prestige marker. Odds are that typically at least one of these will occur before the first reshuffle, but with this method the odds are greater that neither will.

Has this impacted the games you have played with this variant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaffie9hole wrote:
By artificially forcing the Local Headlines event to happen sooner, you could be generally delaying the arrival of the events that allow the placement of the 12 wealth marker and 6 prestige marker. Odds are that typically at least one of these will occur before the first reshuffle, but with this method the odds are greater that neither will.

Has this impacted the games you have played with this variant?

I haven't tracked it, but it does feel like they come out later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I teach the game to others, it is stated like this.

Theres a rash of the cards that seem to come one after the
other the first time around. Look at them as scoring opportunities.
Some of them you may see again and can take advantage of them
or manuever to avoid the possible penalty imposed by them.

I never tell them that some people dislike it. It's
part of the game design, prepare and take advantage of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.