Popular Tags: [View All]
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Just want to know are there modern games that are better than this classic? or is this the best in this genre of commodity speculation and stock trading etc.

I own 18AL, Poseidon, Railroad Barons, Imperial and recently ordered Bullfrog Goldfield.

Any of these games close to acquire or which other modern game has bettered the idea in acquire?

Thanks,
Madhu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Boss. Sadly, out of print and rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, but Lords of Vegas had some similarities. You acquire (pun intended) locations and the majority holder, based on block value rather than number of lots, gets victory points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best is subject to opinion, but you can try Shark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bizarrely, Tigris & Euphrates is vaguely similar, but there's no semblance of the stock market, so I doubt it's what you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Acquire but I have heard that Airlines Europe is somewhat similar. Might have been Drive Thru Reviews review where I heard that.

Anyway, I do have Airlines Europe and we enjoy it very much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Shark. A great game that is a meaner version of Acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Bernard
United States
Lansdale
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like railroad games and commodity speculation, I would check out Stephenson's Rocket. It's about stock management. speculation, and merging railroads.

I haven't played in a couple years, but I remember it being quite enjoyable. I never liked Acquire that much, but nevertheless, I actually liked this game, and would probably recommend it over Acquire any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerry Harrison
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch
badge
Meep. Meep. Meep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Venture

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
This will probably seem like a strange recommendation, but Santiago has some common elements with Acquire.

In both games players make constrained choices about adding a piece to the board which can increase or constrain the size of an investment entity. The most crucial common element is probably that players have to work with other players that have a common interest in the success of their shared investment entity to be successful. The biggest difference is that players in Acquire are reliant upon mergers to get mid-game cash infusions, whereas in Santiago players try to become the Canal Overseer at key times to get bribes from other players.

I probably wouldn't normally think of Santiago as a "commodity speculation" game, but I don't think of Acquire that way either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Key Harvest has tile placement very similar to acquire. But the rest of the game is different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
coolpapa wrote:
but there's no semblance of the stock market

There isn't in Acquire either. It's just a tile placement game with a very loosely attached theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Urban Sprawl

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/62220/urban-sprawl

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
What are you looking for in a game that makes it similar to Acquire?

The 18XX games do a great job at stock market manipulation.

But there's more to Acquire than just buying stocks (There really isn't a "market" in Acquire really, since buying is the only thing you can do).

You might like taking a look at Steel Driver. This involves buying stocks (no selling) at an auction in anticipation of those stocks future value which players can affect by building rail connections on the board.

Very similar to Acquire without the luck factor.

Martin Wallace design too. (if that matters to you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
Bizarrely, Tigris & Euphrates is vaguely similar, but there's no semblance of the stock market, so I doubt it's what you want.

T&E is a great game, but I'd say that, if you are going for an off the beaten path recommendation, Reef Encounter is closer to Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkadia's fun and it has that spatial aspect that's cool, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shark is acquire but with much more of a Take That factor, since when companies lose value, the holders lose money, except the player who caused the loss.

Black Friday is also a really good stock game.

Both are favorites in our game club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's long out of print, but Prospecting plays a lot like Acquire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhujith wrote:
or is this the best in this genre of commodity speculation and stock trading etc.

So just to clarify, are you looking specifically for stock-trading games, or for games that play like Acquire, which is more of a tile-laying-and-card-collecting game with an investment theme painted on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firstly thanks for all those super responses. Well As I did not have a clue of what Acquire is, I presumed it could be in line with say a heavy 18xx game, but post posting this on the forum, I just did a little bit of reading to understand what this game is.

Loosely speaking though, it appeared to me that there are some elements of Acquire in Lords of Vegas which I own and enjoy!

Though I've not looked at Santiago or others. Will probably look into them.

My initial post was to find out which newer games has taken the classical system of Acquire, made it refined, better, or more fun, more interesting etc. and removed any flaws if any with Acquire. Because if I want to get a game of this genre, I just wanted to know which would be a good bet.

Thanks again to all of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
madhujith wrote:
Well As I did not have a clue of what Acquire is

Wait, what? You asked for games that are like Acquire, but you don't know anything about Acquire?

Quote:
My initial post was to find out which newer games has taken the classical system of Acquire, made it refined, better, or more fun, more interesting etc. and removed any flaws if any with Acquire. Because if I want to get a game of this genre, I just wanted to know which would be a good bet.

You can play Acquire for free, here: http://gamesbyemail.com
They call it Mergers, but it's the same thing. Play it and you will see it has no semblance to the stock market, or anything else in real life for that matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
but there's no semblance of the stock market

There isn't in Acquire either. It's just a tile placement game with a very loosely attached theme.

Definitely disagree with this. You can own stock in different "companies"... You can buy it, you can sell it, the stock trades hands, the value of particular stock goes up and down, and you don't even have to own stock in the tiles you place.

It even adds the additional detail of having a "majority" and "minority" stock holder who get associated bonuses.

You may not enjoy how it plays, but how is there not a stock market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Pack
Canada
Nanaimo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chicago Express is probably the closest in similarities. But I own both CE and Acquire... and I like both for their own reasons, but CE is my preference between the two.

I disagree with the "it's not a stock market game" comments. The growth and mergers of companies may be slightly abstracted, as it is just these tiles being placed. And while company stocks never lower, during takeovers you have the crucial decision to keep your stocks (if the company is rebuilt) or trade them in. Because you have some information (your own tiles) to predict possible outcomes of the market, I think it really works. It still amazes me that this game is now 50 years old, it hasn't aged a bit... it still feels very modern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have heard Stephenson's Rocket aptly described as "Acquire with trains". It's sadly out of print, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.