Subject: Adding some flexibility ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
High from Germany,

DotZ is really a challenge to play, better: to win.
It requires nerves of steel and say good-bye to your fingernails once the endless hordes of Zeds have started their march towards Farmingdale.

Possible courses of action are countless if there weren't too few Action points.

Bottom line: I haven't won a single game yet.
This could be really frustrating. But there always is this: "Come on! One more time and you will succeed."

Why not bolstering the morale of the player by offering a new chance each time. But with a subtle modification of the game system ...

There are many parameters that could be slightly changed (to help the player or to even make it more harder to win).

I added a set of cards to provide this parameter modification.
Each time I win a game, I draw two "red" cards which will make the life of the heroes and people of Farmingdale and surroundings more difficult (or shorter ...), If I lose (standard case), I draw a "green" card and one parameter is changed, helping the brave defenders a little bit more.

Here are the cards:
You will note that I included all the optional rules (apart from the "historical" case).

Applying the standard set-up, this would be the set of Parameter cards.

And here is my current set of Parameter cards after scoring so many defeats ...
The number of heroes at start remains unchanged (1 is selected, 3 random ones). Ammo and Supply points will be rolled as usual. The initial Research level is 0. Please, note the number of Event cards. The standard deck size is 48 (1+7+2(16+4)). My next game will consists of a deck of only (1+7+2(8+4)) = 32 cards!!!!
16 turn less horror and desperation.
cool
And there is more. The VIP survivors provide a chance to get a free hero. And heroes brought down to exactly 0 LP are automatically placed in the hospital. That is a very powerful option! But even this did not help me during my recent game ...cry

That's it regarding my modifications to the game system this time.
Is there any interest to see what happens during my next DotZ game?
There are some more ideas and surprises.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, that is one of the cool things about this game. It is so easy to "tweak" and add or take away different elements. Nice system you have there! I really like your cards and how you implement them.

It's not really for me though. Yeah, I lose way more than I win, but for me that is part of the fun/challenge.

Just some quick tips:
1. Don't underestimate the importance of barricades.
2. Always defend in a terrain space.
3. There is a slight edge to the defender.
4. ammo...Ammo....MORE AMMO!!!!!!!

I can't wait for the expansion to come out!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tuner 13 wrote:

Is there any interest to see what happens during my next DotZ game?
There are some more ideas and surprises.

I for one always love to read about people's experiences with VPG titles. Nothing like the drama of DotZ or Zulus if you ask me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Uwe! Thanks for this wonderful post. You really have a very unique and imaginative system there - I love it. Please post your AAR as soon as you can, as I think many of us would be very interested to see how it comes out. Danke Schoen! Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A game session with some special effects
Hi,

here we go.
Have mercy with my English, please.

The situation at start of the game.
There is plenty of supply and note the strong civilian units at the town center.
THe first Event card.
A lucky draw as the special case for the Zeds is completely ignored.

The story unfolds ...

Audrey J. Clarke watched as another group of men armed with shotguns and hunting rifles joined the crowd on the main street of Farmingdale. She turned her back to the window and looked around the small town’s major’s office. Ogilvie Butterfield sat on his chair, kind of protected by a huge desk, Sheriff Hunt and his deputy standing next to him.
“Mister Butterfield”, she said patiently again, “We are here to help you. All you’ve heard about those undead, walking dead or Zeds is true! There’s a real menace out there.”
“They will come here to kill – or better, devour - all of us. And this county is not the only one. We’re on our own now. Help from outside is many hours, if not days away”, Audrey’s companion, Stacey Young added, hoping to eventually occupy the attention of Farmingdale’s heads of government and police.
“Nonsense! The only thing you achieved ladies, is this trigger happy mob gathering on the streets ready to fire at anyone or anything moving.” He turned to Sheriff Hunt: “What do we know about our guests?”
“Well, they came here three days ago, they reside in the Sea Eagle motel, papers are okay, car was checked, no problems but for some questions about the payload.” A long speech for the sheriff who preferred to act rather than talk a lot. “With all respect, sir, I think we should listen to those experts and start to …”
“Humbug! Experts! Two pretty faces seem to have mellowed your wits! This all is nothing but stirring up panic. Those weapons! There is some sinister …”
Now the major was interrupted as the office door was pushed open. Gillian Gladstone, the secretary, pale faced and drenched in sweat, shouted: “Emergency calls from all over the place. Death and destruction. It’s all about Zeds.”
Audrey exchanged a quick glance with Stacey. “It has started!”
“The Golden Arches restaurant near East Irek was overrun …”
“I always hated fast food”, muttered the Sheriff, “hopefully those undead get killed by this.”
Gladstone continued unimpressed: “… there are fires east of Lefty’s Pass. The highway west of Ingeborg is blocked by hordes of monsters and they are marching towards the village. Rick Ferguson had to turn back to his farm as he found the Forest road also blocked. The villagers of Saint Thomas are in great peril now. Then our telephones went dead. All of them.”
Silence now also ruled the major’s office. Ogilvie Butterfield suddenly felt infinitely tired and weak. This was a bad dream. But only a dream …
“Gentlemen!” Audrey raised her voice, “Time for action! Sheriff Hunt, may I ask you for your support. First: Miss Young here has to get access to the laboratory. You guys call it Farmingdale’s Area 51, right?!”
The sheriff was flabbergasted (How did they know about this) but nodded and tossed a bunch of keys to the scientist.
“Second: it would be great if you provide me a pickup and five brave fellows of that militia of yours”, she pointed with her thumb over her left shoulder. “I’ll head for Saint Thomas.”
“Third: Deputy Schmidt (Audrey was new to Farmingdale … as everybody called him just Schmidt, no first name, no job title, nothing else), could you please drive to the mine. We will need all ammo we can get a hold of.”
“Finally, sheriff, I’d like to recommend that you check the situation at Ingeborg. I think the people there would greatly appreciate your help and skills. There will be a hell of a fightin’. Inevitably!”
“Schmidt! You heard what the lady said. Let’s go.”
The two mysterious visitors of Farmingdale also left the office and the town hall building. “Let’s take our equipment, Stacey. And turn that idea of yours into reality fast. We do not have much time.”
The major found his office empty but for his secretary, moved to the window and watched as the girls picked up their gear from their car’s trunk. “I’ll be damned.”
“What’s the matter, sir?”
“This black haired woman has an assault rifle and two Ingram SMGs. And she also carries a … SWORD. Can’t be!”
“Sir?”
“Maybe they are not feds but amazons!”
“That would be great. I should run downstairs and ask them why my recent book order hasn’t arrived yet.”
“Gladstone! Shut up!”

The battle against evil and darkness had begun.

That's what happened on the game board.

Any questions?

If I may, turns 02 to 04 will follow.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meine liebe Uwe! This is fantastic stuff - well done indeed! I love the narrative - David Spangler has some competition, I see. The green arrows are a nice touch and who are the lovely ladies that are now the start heroines? You keep this up and we'll have to add this to next year's DotZ Strategy Guide. Thanks and keep it rolling. Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for this reply.

Currently I have added three new heroes to the game, three more to follow.

Here is Turn 02.

coolcoolcoolcool

Flames engulfed the restaurant building. The Zeds followed the road and moved towards East Irek. There was fresh flesh ahead. A lot of it! But the defenders of their families and homes were not stun or helpless.
"Ready your firearms! Giv'em hell!" A thunderous volley, dozens of zombies fell, their rotten corpses disintegrating by the impact of the bullets. They kept moving, more gunfire, more losses but many still came close and grabbed human victims. The butchery was gruesome.
A determined counter-attack by J.J.Floyd, the manager of the East Irek B&N subsidiary finally pushed the remaining Zeds back south.
"If we survive this, I'll order books dealing with urban combat. That's for sure!"
"One more such fight, and we're gone."

The Farmingdale Area 51 was not very big but located in a fancy building: a small tower. Stacey found herself in the top level of this tower high above all other buildings of the town. Windows allowed to look in all directions. "Not bad!" she thought. Then she was surprised by a blending light. Something must have happened in the northwest!
"Typical Audrey! Must have called in the long range artillery." A distant clap of thunder. "I'm happy being here not there ..."
A few kilometers away, the blue spruce forest turned into a scene of Dante's Inferno.

Much closer than Stacey but at a safe distance, the pickup raced towards Saint Thomas. Steve McKing sitting on a back seat watched the girl operating a kind of flat screen then putting it back to her side bag. "Miss Clarke. Is that a new type of Ipad or something. Looks cool!"
"You really don't wanna know." She turned to the driver, Joe Rickenbacker. "Floor it! We have a good chance to finish them off, whatever's left of them."
Far south, Deputy Schmidt arrived at his destination right after driving through the small settlement. The few buildings of Lefty's Pass he found all barricaded, the inhabitants scared but still in place. He parked his police car next to the Mine's entry. He left the car and started to look around, shotgun and Bowie knife ready.

Back North. Audrey's small combat unit came close to the impact zone. "Stop the car. All but Joe gets off the car!"
"Follow me. Weapons ready!"
"Joe turn the car, we'll be back soon."
The group of five marched towards the survivors of the missile strike. There were still plenty but all totally confused. "Aim for the heads. Saves bullets."
At point blank range, she started firing short bursts with the Ingrams. Her four comrades also opened fire.
The Zeds were mowed down like cornstalks.
"Back to the car. That was just the first wave of zombies. Here."

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turn 03

The first tough card.

Short before midnight, the first serious Zeds attack occurred. There were bloody battles at all four avenues leading to Farmingdale.
At East Irek, J.J.Floyd proved his capabilities as leader again. The enemy was repulsed a second time but he found himself with a group of just 25 still standing.

Another determined clash took place at Ingeborg.
Sheriff Hunt was badly needed here or this village would be overrun.
In the forest, Audrey's team had no chance to board their pickup. A new mob of Zeds came towards them. Again, the ranks of the undead were depleted, but there were too many. They kept coming. "Get back to the car. I'll handle this alone." She drew her mighty sword. "My goodness the blade is glowing red", Steve observed. It was an eerie sight. "Who is this girl ...?"

Deputy Schmidt also made contact with this wave of Zeds as they approached the Mine. He emptied his shot gun, reloaded, fired again. "Not enough. Come closer, stinking bastards! I'll cut your throats with pleasure."

The end of turn 03 sees all friendly forces in contact with the enemy.
Note the wrongly placed Infection level marker. It has to be on space "3".

... to be continued.

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uwe Heilmann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Turn 04

Note the special "Terrain" effect for the Zeds. Good for Audrey, bad for Schmidt.

The road to Saint Thomas became a growing battlefield. About 30 to 40 Zeds were still "alive" and now tried to kill the one human left in their path. Audrey waited. Stepped forward, the Flaming Heart then started to destroy the undead. They were chopped, decapitated, cut to pieces. One after the other. But the warrior suffered also. Blood was running down her arms, her black shirt was ripped. Then there was silence. She walked back to the car, the sword shining brightly. She sheathed the weapon. "Let's get back to Farmingdale."
"You're wounded! You must see a doctor." "There's no time for that. There will be more Zeds comin'."

Note the extra space moved in retreat as stacking with the civilians is not allowed.

Deputy Schmidt also fought his first lone battle. It was another bloodbath. He was capable to destroy the first wave unscathed. His skills as Ranger proved invaluable again. The second wave poured down on him like a waterfall. This time he had to pay dearly. "Got me this time, bastards." But there was no one left to hear these words.
A search of the area proved useless. No ammo or explosives were found.

From her prominent position in Farmingdale, Stacey recognized the pickup's lights as it approached the town.
She smiled. The first phase of her project had been completed. "One step closer to wipe you off the surface of earth."

End of Chapter 1.

Ready for Chapter 2?

Cheers
U.L.H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaret Morgan
United States
West Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, very nice reporting!! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, Uwe! Keep it coming. Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.