Lang Jones
United States
Kew Gardens
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Fly Eagles Fly!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have some toploaders I use to protect my maps but I know some folks use plexiglass.

What solution is best? If I go the plexiglass route where do I get a piece big enough to protect a map?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucius Cornelius
United States
Rome
SPQR
flag msg tools
badge
Lord Protector of Nothing in Particular
mbmbmbmbmb
Poster frame works fine for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
you can buy plexiglass or perspex from sellers on ebay - various sizes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
...where do I get a piece big enough to protect a map?

http://www.lowes.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a piece of non-reflecting glass. I used plexiglass before, but it is very prone to scratches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
redstarnyc wrote:
I have some toploaders I use to protect my maps but I know some folks use plexiglass.

What solution is best? If I go the plexiglass route where do I get a piece big enough to protect a map?

Don't get pieces too big to carry.

I use 18"x24" which fits fine for a 2x2 panel map (like Combat Commander). I use 2 for 4x2 panel map (like 90% of all wargame maps).

These fit in my portfolio to carry all of Combat Commander maps.

I also use with all crayon drawing railroad games using wet erase (i.e. OH projector) markers which don't smudge and come in 8 colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith S.
United States
Dallas/Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sullafelix wrote:
Poster frame works fine for me. ;)

This would be my suggestion; you can get poster frames in some pretty big sizes, and then you can either properly mount the board in the frame, or simply throw out everything but the clear plexi and just lay it over your map.

Depending on the size and how the map can be folded or broken down, most Kinko's-type places will have laminating machines that will provide protection from the average soda spill. "Soft" lamination will allow the board to be folded easily; "Hard" lamination will protect better and is good for a final draft of your gameboard, but will require some planning to allow the board to fold (and many hard-laminator machines are more limited in maximum width; the main use of this tech was to laminate paper-printed ID cards, before the laser-printed plastic ones became popular).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.