Subject: Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields will be on kickstarter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

Eagle Games most recent newsletter mentions that Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields will be on Kickstarter next month. I guess it's good advertising, but I find it funny when established game companies use Kickstarter.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this game and hope we get some more info on it soon. Posted here in lieu of Battlefields not having its own BGG entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here's hoping for noninsane EU shipping and/or Essen pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the fact that DotR is a successful game which already spawned a number of expansions (four IIRC), I don't understand this. On the other hand, we'll get a few goodies if the funding goes high meeple

gschmidl wrote:
Here's hoping for noninsane EU shipping and/or Essen pickup.

Well, one can hope ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is Battlefields? Is it an expansion for DotR?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trenttsd wrote:
What is Battlefields? Is it an expansion for DotR?

No, it's a standalone card game using the characters and locations of DotR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
Stand alone? If it doesn't enhance DotR in any way I might have to pass on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Lloyd
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
badge
Canadian Game Design Award: http://www.fallcon.com/design
mbmbmbmbmb
There is nothing really odd about established companies using Kickstarter. I would bet you will see a LOT more of this kind of thing in the future.

Just like the smaller startups, they are just hedging their bets on a new product. If it funds, they know they have at least covered their initial costs. This may allow the game to see print much faster than if they waited for enough of their own capital to fund the game.

The only downside I can see for established companies using Kickstarter is the fees associated with it.

Peace
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Massek
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
turtleback wrote:

Eagle Games most recent newsletter mentions that Defenders of the Realm: Battlefields will be on Kickstarter next month. I guess it's good advertising, but I find it funny when established game companies use Kickstarter.

Especially after Mayday and their continued debacles surrounding them...

Mayday has also had at least three successful kickstarter campaigns. Eaten by Zombies in particular did very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the OP. While I do understand that some established companies have gone Kickstarter, I don't personally "get it". I would hope that sales of the original DoTR would tell Eagle that a related game would sell. Might be wishful thinking on my part re. DoTR sales.

For a well-established company, I'd much prefer simply buying the game than going through the Kickstarter routine. My experience with that has not been positive so far...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb

I think it's smart business. The kickstarter campaign creates a lot of buzz. My only reservation is that it's kind of like the professionals playing in the kid's playground. I view Kickstarter as a refuge for indie publishers. Any money the big players get could be taking money from the little guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, it kind'a seems like a Walmart being built next to a mom & pop store when there's plenty of other areas you can build it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:
I'm with the OP. While I do understand that some established companies have gone Kickstarter, I don't personally "get it". I would hope that sales of the original DoTR would tell Eagle that a related game would sell. Might be wishful thinking on my part re. DoTR sales.

Expansions and spin-offs inevitably sell fewer units than the original game. I know FFG didn't release a second expansion set to its DOOM boardgame, because they didn't think sales would support the set. Maybe had KS been around a few years ago, DOOM boardgame enthusiasts would have another expansion in their closet. So I image Eagle game's decision was either KS or *no* game at all.

If anything, I don't want a business to go out of business because it made one or two bad decisions out of the hundreds it must make. The more information a company has that it can sell so-many copies of a product, the more efficiently they can deliver it to the customer, raising profits for the company, lowering costs passed on to the customer, and, of course, getting a game the customer wants. Win-Win all around.

As for Eagle being a Walmart... I don't think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Any link for this game? I don't see it in the BGG database yet.

I created the game entry months ago, but the admins keep sending it back with the comment:

"Your description has an overview of the theme of the game, but what do players do when playing it?"

and

"More information is needed. A good game description covers theme, game-play, and goal. Your submission touches on the theme of the game, but lacks any information about what players actually do when playing the game. Please elaborate and use the Revise button to re-submit.

What's the game here?"

see: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8514359#8514359

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yosemite wrote:

For a well-established company, I'd much prefer simply buying the game than going through the Kickstarter routine. My experience with that has not been positive so far...

I agree, although I have no experience. I looked at a Kickstarter offer for the first time just the other day; the one for Gunships. I actually thought it was funny, with a plethora of options for spending various amounts of money, starting with the $5 for promotional crap game companies have always given out for free (digital wallpaper etc.) up to the "designer will come to your house, give you the game and wash your car" business at the top. In my mind, I could hear the announcer saying "But wait! Order now, and we'll include the electric shoe polisher absolutely free!" as I read through the options. I went in expecting something like a GMT P-500 offer, and found a Saturday Night Live skit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.