United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm strongly considering using Lulu.com when I self-publish my first non-rpg book, and was hoping some of my fellow geeks here may have had some experience and could share tips, suggestions, or feedback on how things went.

Did it turn out the way you expected? Was it a smooth process? In the end, are you glad you went with Lulu.com? That sort of stuff...

Any and all input appreciated... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron Clark
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought Future War Commander from Lulu, and as a buyer I was very pleased with the resulting product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought both editions of the book on Decktet from them, and the game designer told me that he had good results with them. You might want to directly correspond with him for details....

Good luck, Jason! And let us know how it goes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gendron
Canada
Chambly
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had a batch of wedding souvenir album printed with them and the results were good. The images were sharp and the colors were correct. The process was without any hassle. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend/client of mine did this book. Herald By: N.F. Houck It says 20 bucks and paperback, but it's hardback with a dust jacket.

http://www.amazon.com/Herald-N-F-Houck/dp/1411671694/ref=sr_...

I did the cover. We were very happy with lulu! Feel free to email me, but I know she has been very pleased.

And it's a good book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Lulu is ok. I've "stolen" two of their authors though for my own publishing venture (no, not taking more) but you might want to check out this method:

http://www.eternalrevolution.com/183/how-to-start-your-own-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I had decided to self-publish my thriller novel after some rejections, I decided to go with Lulu. I went through the process of getting everything put together, and things really ran smoothly. However, just as it was about to be put out through them, Wild Wolf Publishing picked up my thriller novel, so I had to rush and backpedal the whole thing with Lulu.

Both the process of setting it up AND pulling it down was a nice experience.

I would try to get a traditional publisher to pick it up first. If nothing bites after a few months, then go the self-publishing route. But it never hurts to give your book a pitch to some editors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tryken wrote:
I would try to get a traditional publisher to pick it up first. If nothing bites after a few months, then go the self-publishing route. But it never hurts to give your book a pitch to some editors.

Yeah Jason, have you tried? what's the book about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Tryken wrote:

Yeah Jason, have you tried? what's the book about?

You know, it never occurred to me to even mention that. It's non-fiction, and more of a personal project than any sort of expected revenue stream or literary marvel...

Over the last 18 months I've suffered two heart attacks, a stroke, complete kidney and liver failure, pneumonia, cardiogenic shock... lots. The second heart attack left me in a coma, and somehow -- I made it through. The book is basically a journal of this complex medical scenario from two running parallel points of view: my wife, who had to witness everything from the outside, and me, who had severe memory loss after regaining consciousness, and dealing with everything once I learned the severity of the situation.

So it's a personal cathartic therapy project, and many family members and friends have expressed interest in reading about the experience. One reason Lulu appealed to me is for a nominal additional expense, I can go ahead and get an ISBN for the book and have it listed on e-tailers like Amazon. Seemed like a good route to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tullis
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing your amazing story, Jason, but moreso also /why/ you're writing it, I think Lulu online would meet your needs wonderfully. That way you can avoid the stress of traditional publishing and just focus on writing your personal experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:

One reason Lulu appealed to me is for a nominal additional expense, I can go ahead and get an ISBN for the book and have it listed on e-tailers like Amazon. Seemed like a good route to explore.

If a publisher picks it up, they pay for everything. and they get it out there aggressively so they can make money. If lulu does it, people have to know to go find it.
http://www.cardinalpub.com/ does some health and fitness, try Tom. I do a lot of their covers.
Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.