Subject: That was about time! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive finally managed to build a deck for solo play that is good and doesnt include the usual suspects.

Cards that Im really tired of having to depend on Steward of Gondor, Unexpected courage, The Galadhrim's Greeting, The Favor of the Lady and at least some of the healing cards in the lore deck. I know they havent been mandatory but they have been so good that its hard to live without them. Further there are a few more like Northen Tracker and the Daughters of Minrod.

When ever lore and sprit has been involved some of these cards have always been there, and a few others. Since Ive almost always had Steward of Gondor involved Ive also always the Dunedain attachments in my decks.

Building for coop has been easier and more varied but still the cards mentioned above have always been in our 2 player games as well.

It kind of gets a bit dull but it also really means that Ive more or less only have been able to build one or maybe tops two tripple sphere decks at the time.

I would really like to be able to have a few decks built and just waiting in the box to be played. Not that I want optimized decks for quests but I want to be able to quickly pick up and play with different decks.

Now I have finally built a deck that is good and doesnt include any of these cards.

I built the deck around Dain, Gimli and Bifur and I wanted it to be effective enough to take on Khazad-dûm and yet thematic. So that means no eagles, horses, rohans, gondorians or elfs. Neither did I want any attachments or events that where clearly tied to any of these races. This means no Steward of Gondor, no Dunedain attachments, no trackers, no Galadhrim's Greeting, ect, ect.

Yes I will eventually play Khazad-dûm with a mixed group (still no creatures in the caves) where dunedain and elfs have come to assist the dwarfs. But my first take I wanted pure dwarfish.

I was really glad to see that it actually worked well enoguh to be a deck that is competetive.

I cruised the first scenario and was cruising 7th level until I over commited to a quest and got a horrible draw that basicly killed that scenario for me. Still I was questing good enough and killing well enough at the same time. Really nice.

Basicly what this means is that I can now have a Rohan and a Dwarf deck in my box one for Mirkwood and one for Khazad-dûm. Im quite sure that Ill be able to have a Eagle/Elf deck in the box quite soon as well.

For coop in Mirkwood the Rohan and Dwarf decks will do well together. Still will need to rebuild for co-op Khazad-dûm as I wount take a Rohan deck into the caves.

But Im happy that the veriaty is finally starting to lower the importance of the core set super cards.
Tomas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Simpson
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool! What cards are in your deck? I made a dwarven themed deck with Dain, Thalin, and Bifur. I'm still tweaking the cards but Dain's hero ability is awesome. Bifur & Thalin quest for 5 (plus with a few Longbeard Map Makers and Erebor Record Keepers in can get up into the teens).

It takes a round or two to get going, so initial player draw and encounter draw can make or break a game. Last night I drew a cave troll and Chieftan of the Pit in the first round of Flight from Moria. It was certain death
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Im usually to lazy for this but since Im waiting for code that is building....

Neutral
Boots
Gandalf

Lore
Burning Brand (gonna go since I rarely defend with lore characters)
Self Preservation (I find this one to be ok with dwarfs and is only healing card that made the thematic axing)
Hammersmith
Forest Snare (yes dwarfs can snare stuff in mines)
Ancestral knowledge
Miner of Iron Hills
Secret Path (yeah works well enough thematicaly in mines)
Map Maker

Tactics
Faint
Swift Strike
Quick Strike
Khazad!
Dwarrodelf Axe
Dwarwen Axe
Citadel Plate
Veteran Axehand

Leadership
Longbeard Orc Slayer
Durin Song
Ever Onward
Belt
Brok Ironfist
Sneak Attack

54 cards and the low number of Leadership cards is intentional since Dain is feeding resources to Bifur and hence map maker.

As you say questing takes a little bit to get going but then its solid in the range of 10-15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TexMurphy wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
otaku wrote:
TexMurphy wrote:

So true..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.