Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Retreat rule is one of most diffucult to understand from my point of view. Every EiA game I've ever played leaded in one momet or thi other to a "retreat discussion" and most of times, house rules are used.

In the game I'm gming, called Elba, Napoleón caught Mack in a battle at Krakow :

Let me see if I'm not wrong...

Mack, defeated but not anhililated, retreats. No austrian depots on map, he has to retreat towards Viena.
First zone must be Olmutz or Ostrava. French troops in both zones will make the austrian corps to retreat one more zone : from either zone the next only available zone has to be Leopoldstadt.
French-controlled Saxons at Leopoldstadt pushes one more zone towards Wien.
French-controlled Wurttemburg depot garrison at Wien will force MAck to surrender.

A part from having Wurttemburg troops garrisoning a french a depot, that is not RAW, is my retreat and surrending of Mack renmants correct ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's correct, but I haven't played "vanilla" eia in a while.

I would also House Rule this to allow them to retreat towards any Friendly depot if all other options are gone. But this would be a HR only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By Friendly you mean an Allied depot even if no allied corps in the retreating stack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As bizarre as it seems, Oscar, I too think your reading of the RAW regarding Mack's retreat is correct. Jason's suggestion of a house rule to put a bandaid on this wound is probably a good one.

We have been discussing retreats in the Portland face to face campaign, and it's worth pointing out to players that they should have some depots on the map. When retreating with a depot on the map, one does not actually have to move "closer" to that depot. One only has to retreat to the "closest" available area. That could be equi-distant, or it could be further away, so long as it is the "closest" available area. That does not seem to be the case with retreats toward a national capital, which are required to be in the direction of the capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shumway
msg tools
If an army loses a battle in the area in which it's capital is located, and it has no depots on the map would it be unable to retreat? Any move would be away from it's capital and therefore not in keeping with the retreat rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thnik so, unable to retreat and therefore, will have to surrender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.