Subject: Which to buy - Card List? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Thinking about which version of this game I'd rather buy first. They seem about the same, as of now it would come down to price or maybe which set has more appealing cards in it. Has anyone seen a card list for either set? I googled for one, to no avail.

If anyone wants to kick in their opinion about your favorite of the two sets, I'd appreciate seeing that, as well.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only read through the cards on the second set (Next Phase), but they look interesting. I think the Enterprise crew has cards in both sets. Since both sets have a Borg scenario, it might come down which of the other scenarios do you find more compelling - the Klingon civil war (Premier Edition) or Romulan Reunification (Next Phase)? I don't think you'd go wrong with either choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Ellis
United States
Aloha
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Try a new game today :)
badge
Happy Gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own and enjoy both. Not certain which I like the best but the second one seems to be providing some more balanced games for the time being. However, it might just be that my group all knows how to play at this point and that wasn't the case when we tried the first one :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies.

Do both sets have Romulan ships or characters? What about Ferengi? Any sign of Captain Dathon? Chief O'Brien?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
Do both sets have Romulan ships or characters? What about Ferengi? Any sign of Captain Dathon? Chief O'Brien?

The first set has more Romulans and Ferengi, including ships for each (the ships in the expansion are mostly generic ships not aligned with any of the major races). Captain Dathon is not in either set. The Chief is in the second set.

While the second set does have the main bridge crew, they are "alternate" versions of them (like the future versions from All Good Things and a Lt. Picard from Tapestry).

I have only played one game with the expansion, so I can't really make a recommendation at this point, but I don't think you can go wrong with either set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Funny, I got the Next Phase because it's all my store had. I had to inform them of the previous edition and then get it. As a result, I only played 1 game of the original game.

It really seems like the first game is a little character-heavy, whereas maneuvers can play a significantly larger role in the Next Phase. There's also an item-gathering aspect in NP, though only once has it ever really mattered for us (I managed to get the Stones of Gol). PE, however, has significantly stronger stats. PE's ships are all just beef, whereas NP has weaker ships with effects. I'd personally prefer the Romulan Unification scenario over Klingon Civil War, especially since it makes plenty of effort to scale the difficulty (I'm hoping I can get a 1v8 game going). NP has much less player interaction, though. PE has lots more cards that let you significantly interact with your opponents, such as giving them undesirable cards. I'm all up for player interaction, and that alone has me recommend PE over NP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear Alex's comments on this, but I'm under the impression that the designer intentionally left this game open to interpretation, so to speak (e.g. variants). For example, in the original game, there are victory point (VP) values on the Borg ships that seem to serve no purpose in the co-op scenario. But those values become useful if you choose to add them to any of the VP-based other scenarios (e.g. Exploration mode).

I like the idea of the item gathering goals in NP, and once I get the expansion, I intend to build an exploration deck and scenario using both PE and NP where that is a key goal. I'm also looking forward to more useful maneuvers (they usually get skipped over in PE).

I like the player interaction in PE, but sometimes it's too much - especially with respect to "wars" in exploration modem; they come up too often and can be annoying early. I'm looking forward to diluting wars by adding other cards from NP. I'm also looking forward to ships with reduced power level, and intend to customize the deck to minimize the run-away leader syndrome that PE tends to have.

In summary, by taking the best of both worlds (ahem), you can build your own custom game that plays the way you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.