Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: IP [+] [View All]
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After FFG had to pull all their World of Warcraft related games, we finally know who the license went to.
Look at this list of upcoming games from USAopoly
Among them are "Starcraft Risk" and "World of Warcraft Monopoly".

I wish I was kidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp

You go from a company that's ambitious and tried to make creative thematic games to this - the pits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwaaahaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Oh, oh that is so funny! And a little depressing... but still funny too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
Is it wrong to be excited about June's release of a Street Fighter Monopoly?

That depends on how cool the metal miniatures look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to do a zerg rush on Boardwalk!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely uninteresting. If someone said World of Warcraft Game of Life, I'd actually buy it, because it would be a lot of laughs.
WoW Monopoly… not so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Nuke them from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WoW Monopoly would be cool* if, instead of an actual game of Monopoly, players were instead re-enacting Blizzard's dominance over the MMO market. You could score points by trying to predict how long it takes each competitors' product to go free-to-play.

*no it wouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
If I ever get a copy of that "Beatles"-version Monopoly, then it's going to become their: "EVEN YELLOWER Submarine" edition! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
Suddenly Star Trek Catan seems pretty pretty innovative...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I wanted this expansion so badly. It was cancelled I believe because they lost the license.

Instead we get more vomit in a box called monopoly? Why do people even buy that crap?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly the future of WoW and other Blizzard properties is probably in the hands of Cryptozoic, since Blizzard owns them and they are doing their CCG.

As much as we hate games like Monopoly, people buy up these silly variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is wholly unsurprising. Blizzard Entertainment is a joke. They are openly hostile to their consumers. Do very little to protect them. Rip off other people's IP and then viciously protect their stolen ideas.

People will whine about Apple or Microsoft being tech raiders, but Blizzard is by far more insidious in their machinations.

A dollar to Blizzard is a dollar saying, "I don't care any more...take my money because I'm a sheep."

So the union of Monopoly and Blizzard "IP" seems perfect. It's the perfect, "I've given up on caring what kind of entertainment I consume" statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
medlinke wrote:
This is wholly unsurprising. Blizzard Entertainment is a joke. They are openly hostile to their consumers. Do very little to protect them. Rip off other people's IP and then viciously protect their stolen ideas.

People will whine about Apple or Microsoft being tech raiders, but Blizzard is by far more insidious in their machinations.

A dollar to Blizzard is a dollar saying, "I don't care any more...take my money because I'm a sheep."

So the union of Monopoly and Blizzard "IP" seems perfect. It's the perfect, "I've given up on caring what kind of entertainment I consume" statement.

And I guarantee you that you will probably end up getting Diablo 3.

Come to think of it, why didn't FFG make a Diablo board game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think D&D had the Diablo license for spinoff games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Aura

California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josephus wrote:
Is it wrong to be excited about June's release of a Street Fighter Monopoly?

shake

I am kinda excited.

I DARE USAopoly to not publish a Monopoly title for two months in a row. It just cannot be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boogalou wrote:

I wanted this expansion so badly. It was cancelled I believe because they lost the license.

Instead we get more vomit in a box called monopoly? Why do people even buy that crap?

This is really sad as I played a session of 2 players of the base game and that was fun because I love Warcraft and hated to pay a monthly fee. Maybe FFG will see the license some day again and revive the games with a revised/second edition? One can dream... But Reading your post made me feel sad just as when I first knew FFG had lost the license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blizzard fail

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at it from Blizzard's perspective: who offered them more money to use the license? It's a no-brainer that Hasbro has deeper pockets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sérgio Iglésias
Portugal
Porto - V.N. Gaia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Look at it from Blizzard's perspective: who offered them more money to use the license? It's a no-brainer that Hasbro has deeper pockets.

Then let Wizards do something with it! A d20 RPG, minis, better board games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Starcraft Risk might be worth a look, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
medlinke wrote:

Then people wonder why Games Workshop is now so aggressive with it's IP. They have little choice in the matter.

Anyway I managed to nab the Starcraft expansion before it sold out. It's a shame many will no longer play it as it's a good game.

I won't be buying any licensed games in the future. I don't mind games running their natural course but pulling an IP when a game still has legs in it really hacks me off.

Blizzard dumbed down online WOW to kiddie level a few years back (with WOTLK), it is no surprise they have done the same with the board games. They were just waiting for the licences to run out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
And there goes any hopes of a Kalimdor expansion/alternative board for World of Warcraft: The Adventure Game

I guess at the end of the day Blizzard is a business and they're just looking for a company to guarantee them more money from their franchise. They've made logical choices in each area they went into; pick the big dogs to go into the fray.

They first tried the TCG market with Upperdeck, which started out strong and fizzled into a multi-expansion money fest (like most TCGs, the original cards get superseded by newer/stronger additions). I can only assume they still cut a decent cheque from doing this. They even had a decent crack at CMGs with Upperdeck (I thought this was a weird choice).

Followed up by their attempts to hit the boardgamer community; of course why not go to a company with a reputation once again? It seems a logical choice to choose FFG. I just don't think it took off as well as they thought it would. They still did get a few expansions out for the Board Game, several character expansions (no actual board expansions) for Adventure Game.

If it's Monopoly and/or heavy consumer game markets they want to hit, then aside from dealing with the devil and choosing to sign some multi-billion dollar deal with Milton Bradley or Parker Bros, USAopoly would be the next logical step.

I mean, come on, even people with lots of money still want more money Pretty sure Blizzard are sitting on a decent stockpile of the stuff these days, bastards must've worked out that recipe for the Horadric Cube to dupe gold.

*Edit: I really should spellcheck before I submit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blizzard pulled their licenses from FFG and UpperDeck for only one reason which many of you seem to forget, or not know.

Blizzard owns and runs Cryptozoic and brought their board and card games in house in order to have more control over their direction and content.

They also brought their T-Shirt lines in house where Jinx! used to do that for them yet no one really complains about that.

Nothing as sinister as you all like to speculate.

Also Fantasy Flight was not the giant it is today when they first started making Blizzard IP games. They were about five years old in 2003 when Warcraft the Boardgame was released, or in other terms just getting their feet under them in games like Twilight Imperium 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Honestly the future of WoW and other Blizzard properties is probably in the hands of Cryptozoic, since Blizzard owns them and they are doing their CCG.

Ugh. Cryptozoic does some pretty crappy games.

They're not as bad as Twilight Creations... but they're bad.

Everything I've played by them has left me going "Are you f'n kidding me? Someone thought this was GOOD?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.