Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Masinter
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have been playing a lot of new games lately, and I enjoy procrastinating when I ought to be working, so here's a little review.

I'm a big fan of almost all of Vlaada's games, and this one is no exception. It's a real heavy puzzle/planning sort of game and a real brain burner. If you've played Dungeon Lords, this feels very much like a sequel not just because of the lovely artwork, but more importantly, the familiar challenge of preparing your player board and resources for the upcoming rounds.

I feel the main action selection/worker placement is implemented just a bit better this time around. It is still somewhat akin to a blind auction, but with more options. There is also comparatively some extra chance involved with the cards, which encourages a bit of risk/reward type thinking. The main challenge is fitting all this into your master plan - choosing which pets to take and when, not taking on more than you can handle with your resources, and timing things right to win the exhibitions and maximize the multipliers from pet sales.

So there is an enormous amount to consider, with relatively few actual moves made during the entire game.

I do appreciate that most decisions can be made simultaneously by all players. The first phase where imps are put into groups should allow enough time for players to plan, though if you have the wrong group, that planning might take hours every turn... I've found that when all but one player is finished, a series of well aimed finger jabs can be very effective at accelerating the game.

Finally, I'd say the game is just as good with any number 2-4. The dummy players you add in to block certain spots with fewer than four are effective in making the game just hard enough, and add another planning element to the equation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is my gaming partner. 2P or bust. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Ditto. My wife and I both really enjoy this as a 2p game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
★★★★☆
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
You don't study scaring, you just do it.
badge
I'm not even breaking a sweat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Noted, Thanks for posting this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hurp
United Kingdom
Aldershot
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Likewise. Except we're not married.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Cherokee
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played this with a member of my gaming group 2P today and we had a blast. After one game, I can see some things I'd prefer in this game over Dungeon Lords.

One is how much of a swing the title scoring room in Dungeon Lords can cause in the score, although this game still has some swings predicated on the dungeon lords that are present to which to sell.

We know that we both missed maximizing so many of our scoring opportunities but this is a Chvatil game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.