Popular Tags: [View All]
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the last few games, when we've had a Carcosan Page in the hands of the party, it has been incredibly useful. We've used it to toss around healing stones, throwing the elder sign to the investigator who was about to come out of the gate without enough clues to close it, to pass the tomes over to the guys who could best use them, and pass the weapons from the designated shopper out to the monster slayers.

I hadn't thought about how powerful it was, until I noticed it was only $4. For some reason, I'd ranked it around $6, in terms of value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Since 90% of AH stuff is a) underpowered or b) neutral or c) any of the above, but you'll die anyway... I reckon the odd helfpul thing is good.

Bearing in mind, of course, that KiY ups the difficulty anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of the few Unique items outside of weapons that I'm glad to get. My favorite is the Mi-Go Braincase. You still have to have cooperative players to make it work.

Even with the Carcosan page, you're only going to gettwo heals per turn, since the page exhausts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Carcossan Page is incredibly overpowered and should be removed from your game. You can send your extra one to me

/\ /\ /\
|| || ||
(Sarcasm)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Even with the Carcosan page, you're only going to gettwo heals per turn, since the page exhausts.

Which version of the Healing Stone do you have? Mine needs to be exhausted for use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I thought it did. I checked on Arkham Horror Wiki before I answered and it doesn't say it exhausts, so it's even less abusable, since it does.

So maybe someone needs to correct the wiki:

Healing Stone is a unique item. It first appeared in the Arkham Horror game, but a corrected copy was included in the Dunwich Horror expansion.

Card infoUpkeep: You may gain 1 Stamina or 1 Sanity.

Discard Healing Stone if the Ancient One awakens.

Price: $8

CorrectionThe original card did not specify "Discard Healing Stone if the Ancient One awakens."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there's the original Healing Stone, the one offered in Dunwich, and the one offered in the revised base game. Who knows how many others there are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We were only using the healing stone during the upkeep, exhausting it in the process, but being able to pass it to the player with the least Stamina/Sanity meant they could heal up in a few turns rather than heading to the Hospital, or in one case, could heal up their Stamina with the stone while getting their Sanity restored at the Asylum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to rank the most useful Unique Items, I'd probably go Elder Sign, Healing Stone, De Vermiis Mysteriis, Mi-go Brain case, and Carcosan Page.

Of these, Carcosan Page is the most dependent on circumstances to be useful; there needs to be something worth passing around. It's usefulness is determined by the Investigators' collective inventory... paired with the excellent Healing Stone, it might seem very strong, but how often will that happen?

Interestingly, we had this combo come up two games ago, and talked out mechanically how it would work (my copy exhausts). As it happens, the gal who started with the Stone just got the tar beat out of her the whole game; she was always the person who needed it most. The Page did see some use shuffling around tomes, but was of minor (but appreciated) utility.

It's a very good card. It rounds out my top five, edging out Eltdown Shards and Key of Tawil At'Umr. But I don't consider it overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sherlock
United States
Anaheim Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Admin @ www.cigargeeks.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I love getting tomes to people who can actually use them (Harvey, I am looking in your general direction).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asher Thee Gravedigger
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign - $5 - One Shot
Healing Stone - $8 - once per turn
De Vermiis Mysteriis - $5 - One Shot
Mi-Go Brain Case - $5 - once per turn
Carcosan Page - $4 - Once per turn

Given that it's reusable, I think it's slightly under priced when compared to other items on that list, but not grossly so. The Mi-Go Brain Case also feels potentially under priced.

Other useful items :
Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan - $6 - Once per turn, preserve sanity
Illuminated Manuscript - $4 - Sanity for clues once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheeGravedigger wrote:
Elder Sign - $5 - One Shot
Healing Stone - $8 - once per turn
De Vermiis Mysteriis - $5 - One Shot
Mi-Go Brain Case - $5 - once per turn
Carcosan Page - $4 - Once per turn

Given that it's reusable, I think it's slightly under priced when compared to other items on that list, but not grossly so. The Mi-Go Brain Case also feels potentially under priced.

Other useful items :
Seven Cryptical Books of Hsan - $6 - Once per turn, preserve sanity
Illuminated Manuscript - $4 - Sanity for clues once per turn.

Nothing compares to the deal the Elder Sign gives you! It's worth five Clues, plus it takes away a doom token for mere money and a bit of your sanity and stamina. And there's a bunch of them!

Of course the best deals in the game are the weapons that don't exhaust. They can be used multiple times per turn. My favorite is the Gladius of Carcosa.

Maybe its the healing stone that is overpriced???? I've discarded the healing stone for other things besides an Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Healing Stome omly works during upkeep, and it's probably the single most useful item in the game- but all trading takes place during Movement so you can only use it once per turn anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thoth Amon wrote:
The Healing Stome omly works during Upkeep, and it's probably the single most useful item in the game- but all trading takes place during Movement so you can only use it once per turn anyway.
Trading can occur at any time other than during an atomic activity such as Combat or an Encounter. I guess you're thinking that if you could Trade during upkeep then two Investigators in the same location during Upkeep could abuse the item by healing then Trading. Personally, that possibility doesn't bother me; firstly because it's an $8 item and secondly because the downside of manipulating Movement to ensure that the item can be abused regularly would be an inevitable inefficiency. It's interesting that the Stone isn't an "Exhaust to..." item, which to me implies that it's intended for multiple uses in a Turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, my copy of Healing Stone is exhaust to use. I believe that is the most up-to-date version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias H
Germany
Pendler zwischen Hessen und Rheinlandpfalz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used Carcosan Page in Combination with Find Gate last time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.