Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One question came up in our last game. There is a Bloodletter in play and you attack a zone that is defended by a unit with 3 defense. You assign 2 damage to the unit, it becomes 4. The unit dies but what happens with the 1 damage that is left over? I suppose that it's lost because it wasn't assigned to the section of the capital. I only need a confirmation from you guys so that we won't argue about this in our future games. I tried to point out the sections of the rulebook that clearly state this, but to no avail. Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Porter
United States
Winder
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It goes to the section of the capital that you attacked. All units in Warhammer Invasion have trample.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I intentionally assign all the damage to units I will get double the damage on the capital? Can you show me the part of the rulebook where it says so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever damage isn't applied to defenders carries over to the capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Whatever damage isn't applied to defenders carries over to the capital.

The Bloodletter card says: Double all damage assigned to units as it is being assigned. It doesn'say anything about capitals. If I apply 2 damage to a 3 defense unit, I do not apply that damage to the capital. And as the damage is assigned, it doubles and kills the unit, but where does the one exess damage go? It wasn't applied to the capital, so it can't go there. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Logan Daugherty
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This would count as over assigning damage to a unit in anticipation of damage cancellation effects. The extra damage would be lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Nedeljkovic
Serbia
Paracin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greynomad38 wrote:
This would count as over assigning damage to a unit in anticipation of damage cancellation effects. The extra damage would be lost.

That's what I was thinking, but some people, including one of my friends, don't think so. She says that the damage dealt to a unit that doubles isn't the same as asigning damage to a unit in anticipation of damage canceling effects. The previous posters also seem to disagree with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know about the ability. Anything "overassigned" due to the doubling wouldn't be carried forward. Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greynomad's answer is correct. Invasion units having something akin to the M:TG ability trample is a misconception. My reply to the question on the FFG forums:

The left over damage doesn't get transferred to the capital.

When you attack a zone, you have to assign enough damage to the defending units to destroy them, and only if you have more damage left over to assign, can you assign any to the capital. The assigning of damage to units and zone is one step though, you don't destroy the units first and then see if there's any damage left. So in your example, if your attackers are dealing five points of damage, you have to assign two to the unit (enough to destroy it, thanks to Bloodletter), and you can assign three to the capital. It doesn't matter what happens to the unit and its assigned damage after that, you have already assigned all your damage. So in your example, the unit is destroyed, and the capital zone it dealt three damage. Keep in mind you can assign more damage to a unit than it takes to destroy it, in case you're expecting your opponent to use some damage cancellation effect and want to make sure it is destroyed. So you could assign all five of the damage to the unit, much more than should be needed. The downside of this is that you lose the extra damage if it turns out it wasn't needed after all. There'd be no point to not always doing it if the left over damage transferred to the capital. You can also compare it to the defending unit being returned to hand, in that case the damage assigned to it just fizzles, it's not transferred to the capital.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.