Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played my first solo scenario for SoS tonight and got rightly trounced. It didn't help that my die rolls sucked while the soviets were much better (killed a unit with one shot by rolling double 6's).

I find it to be rediculously slanted toward the soviets. They get 2 VP's for every german they kill opposed to 1 VP for every soviet the germans kill.

Did this thing get play tested? I have no choice as the Germans but to storm the Soviets. 5 rounds doesn't give me enough time to try to flank them and stay out of their arc of fire. They have better defense being in woods and stone buildings.

Has anybody ever won this thing and how did you do it? The only way I can see to do it is to get really lucky on your die rolls and the Soviets have to get very unlucky (and miss every time) on their die rolls.

I don't really see any strategy or tactics come into play here just stupid luck of ther die. I guess I could try to bunch the Germans up and try to attack one unit at a time with group attacks but again that would chew up some time.

Help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/458884/storms-of-steel-kursk...-
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was the first scenario I played with the COH system and I also found it tough against the Russians. However, I was not content to play the Russians strictly by the solitaire rules, because it became obvious to me during certain turns that the best option for a particular Russian unit was to retreat, take cover, or set up better firing lines.

I think this scenario would be pretty tough in 2 player mode, but believe a victory is achievable in solitaire mode if you strictly follow the solitaire rules. But the burden is on the attacking forces and its tougher for sure. You have to be sure to stay in cover when possible and concentrate fire on the Russian units, picking off one Russian unit at a time.

If I recall, I took out the HMG unit first and then flanked mostly left and one unit center trying to get each Soviet unit separately under fire.

But I looked at this first scenario as merely an intro and a demo of the solitaire rules. (It could have been better for sure.) I think I would have won if I played strict solitaire rules, but I found this scenario kind of dull, so couldn't stomach beating it to death to find the optimal winning strategy. I modified it to my personal taste by adding a couple armor units to the Germans and some AT guns to the Soviets and then it was more fun.

There are a few posts regarding difficulty of the scenarios. I would browse the existing posts for pointers. For instance, "The Russian's always win", http://boardgamegeek.com/article/5586229#5586229, is one such post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I played it again last night and I did do better the second time around. The score was 5 to 3 But it's still going to be an uphill climb to win. It still seems to come down to dice rolls. I followed the tips given in the first reply's link. I was shot down in cover of a building by the machine gun. Rolling a 3 in an attempt to rally didn't exactly help.

The rule that they won't shoot if they your not in their standard range helps against the smg with a range of 2. You can get in a building and flank one of the rifles and stay out of the smg's range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
uwe eickert
United States
Fremont
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Joseph,
this first firefight is usually tough for beginners. Here is a hint. Standard tactics dictate to concentrate on one point in the defensive line. You should be able to trounce the Soviets 90% of the time in solo mode. Also, command actions are very useful and powerful.
Have fun.
Uwe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.