19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: WW2 Japanese sources rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post any sources you have for WW2 Japanese.
Mainly concerning primary sources and documents or secondary sources from a Japanese point of view.
When in doubt just post, we'll sort it out as we go, it's better for too much than too little.

I will try to update this post as sources are added.
Thanks.

Downloadable Content
Handbook on Japanese Military Forces US Army technical manual

Japanese army operations in the South Pacific Area: New Britain and Papua campaigns, 1942–43 translation of Japanese official history (Senshi sôsho), invasion of Rabaul, Kokoda Trail, Milne Bay, Buna, Gona and Giruwa

Amazon.com links and descriptive quote from user:

Tales by Japanese Soldiers by Kazuo Tamayama and Joe Nunneley "a collection of accounts told by Japanese soldiers in the Burma Campaign"

The Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy by Paul S. Dull "draws on Japanese sources to tell the Japanese view of the Pacific naval campaign. Very good maps and OOB's"

Japan at War: An Oral History by Theodore and Haruko Cook."Anecdotal rather than academic"

Japan's Greatest Victory, Britain's Worst Defeat: Capture and Fall of Singapore, 1942 Masanobu Tsuji (Author), H.V. Howe (Author, Editor), Margaret E. Lake (Translator)

Japanese Destroyer Captain by CAPT Tameichi Hara"Fascinating insights into the night naval battles of the Solomons campaign, among others"

Requiem for Battleship YAMATO by Yoshida Mitsuru"about her last sortie by a crewmember"

Samurai by Saburo Sakai"autobiography of a Zero pilot's life"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Interesting question.

The closest I have come to is certainly not a primary source. Despite that, The Rising Sun by John Toland attempts to look at the war from the Japanese point of view. Motives, strategy, etc.. I really liked it.

I hope that is accurate as it has been a while since I read it. blush

Side note: I enjoyed looking through Japanese books and magazines that dealt with the war when we were living in Tokyo recently. Unfortunately, I cannot read Japanese so I had no real idea was I was looking at most of the time. Still, it was interesting to see pictures of Zeroes in dramatic flight shooting down US airplanes*. I have also been fortunate to see some Japanese TV dramas dealing with some aspect of the war. The latest being one that followed the lives of Japanese immigrants living in Washington State in the 20th century. It was bizarre in so many ways yet also intriguing. That one I could follow since it had subtitles.

EDIT: Not that I enjoyed looking at that! Rather, it was interesting to see something 180 degrees opposite from what I grew up with. As a sociocultural experience it was intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tales by Japanese Soldiers by Kazuo Tamayama and Joe Nunneley is a collection of accounts told by Japanese soldiers in the Burma Campaign.

The Battle History of the Imperial Japanese Navy by Paul S. Dull draws on Japanese sources to tell the Japanese view of the Pacific naval campaign. Very good maps and OOB's. I am sure it is long out of print however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Japan at War: An Oral History by Theodore and Haruko Cook. Anecdotal rather than academic, so maybe not what you're looking for. Interesting read though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Cook's book and Tales from Japanese soldiers come highly recommended to see the personal side of things.

Here's another book from the Japanese perspective

Japan's Greatest Victory, Britain's Worst Defeat: Capture and Fall of Singapore, 1942 Masanobu Tsuji (Author), H.V. Howe (Author, Editor), Margaret E. Lake (Translator)

from both Japanese and US perspective

Shattered Sword: The Untold Story of the Battle of Midway by Jonathan Parshall and Anthony Tully
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn McMaster
Canada
flag msg tools
Shattered Sword is nationalist/revionist - use it carefully.

Pearl Harbor Papers contains numerous primary documents pertaining to the Pearl Harbor Attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GLENN239 wrote:
Shattered Sword is nationalist/revionist - use it carefull

I can see how it s revisionist, but what fo you meann by nationalist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
jurdj wrote:
GLENN239 wrote:
Shattered Sword is nationalist/revionist - use it carefull

I can see how it s revisionist, but what fo you meann by nationalist?

Yeah, I don't get that at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite: Japanese Destroyer Captain by CAPT Tameichi Hara. Fascinating insights into the night naval battles of the Solomons campaign, among others.

Also good: Requiem for Battleship YAMATO by Yoshida Mitsuru (about her last sortie by a crewmember) and Samurai by Saburo Sakai (autobiography of a Zero pilot's life).

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First post updated, Thanks for the great start!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two good ones:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
The US Army printed a Handbook on Japanese Forces which is less well known than their Handbook on German Forces. Like its cousin, it is open to scrutiny due to the fact it was written during the war and based on available intelligence, but it makes for interesting reading if taken with grains of salt.

Hyper-War has an online version but there are also modern reprints in book form, or were:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/Japan/IJA/HB/index.html

I've mentioned before, and quoted from, the Canadian Army Training Memorandum, which was heavily copied from the British Army Training Memorandum.

Good news is that the British version has been reprinted in its entirety (the war volumes anyway) and is available from Naval & Military Press. (Here is the link if you want to order it or find out more about the modern reprint: http://www.naval-military-press.com/army-training-memorandum...) Same caveats apply. Some interesting articles on lower end stuff - tactics, weapons, order of battle.

For example, the May 1942 issue of CATM had an article on "Organization and Tactics of the Japanese Platoon and Section on the Malayan Front". Other articles had technical specs on Japanese tanks, the typical organization of a Japanese infantry division, etc.

From CATM No. 16 (July 1942). The reading may be interesting as a contrast to what we actually know now about the Japanese or what the Allies thought about them, than as an actual reference or guide to how the Japanese operated.

Some of the technical appendices - this one from CATM No. 13 in April 1942 - may be a little less amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Michael, I meant from the Japanese point of view. Maybe I should make that more clear in the OP.

However you remind me of an idea I had earlier for a general WW2 sources thread. Somewhere we can accumulate links for OOB's, equipment, etc..

I'll go ahead and put up your link to Handbook on Japanese Forces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." -- Thucydides, 5th century BC
mbmbmbmbmb
A very fine resource can be found at combinedfleet.com. Want to know anything about the IJN? This is a great place to look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about:
Kogun: Japanese Army in the Pacific War, Saburo Hayashi and Alvin Coox
http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/utm/kogun.txt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
tc237 wrote:
How about:
Kogun: Japanese Army in the Pacific War, Saburo Hayashi and Alvin Coox
http://www.tecom.usmc.mil/utm/kogun.txt

Coox was my MA professor--I think he saw this as a secondary source, like the Morison WWII histories were secondary sources. Good book, however.

What about a novel that is really closer to an autobiography? Fires on the Plain http://www.amazon.com/Fires-Plain-Tuttle-Classics-Shohei/dp/... about a Japanese soldier on Leyte in 1945.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeThorne
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the “Operational Reports of General Douglas Macarthur, VOLUME II,” written from the Japanese perspective on operations in the SWPA insightful.  Strategic rather than tactical.  (Volume I is from the US perspective.)  Available online.

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/MacArthur%20Reports/M...

http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/MacArthur%20Reports/M...

“The Battle for Okinawa” was written by the ranking surviving Japanese officer of that battle, Colonel Hiromichi Yahara.  Not only was Yahara the ranking Japanese officer to survive, he was a key player in the development of the Japanese strategy for the defense of Okinawa.

I haven’t read it yet but on my list of books to read is “Terraced Hell: a Japanese Memoir of Defeat & Death in Northern Luzon” by Tetsuro Ogawa.

“Applied Tactics: Japanese Army”.  A translation of "Oyo Senjutsu No anko", revised 1938, a reference manual on applied tactics adopted for use in the Japanese Military Academy. Combined Arms Research Library  Digital Library.  http://cgsc.cdmhost.com/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p4013c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff DDeT, missed your post last week.

I am looking for something called "Defense Guidance on Islands"

Published by the Imperial General Headquarters during the war.
It seems this was the document that changed the Japanese island defense tactics from a "decisive battle" on the beach to what they called "endurance engagements" from prepared Fukakku positions inland.

Does anyone have any knowledge on this topic? mention in this article http://www.thomas5.com/tribute/History3.html
-citing these sources:
Joseph H. Alexander, Storm Landings: Epic Amphibious Battles in the Central Pacific
Kazumi Kuzuhara's paper "Operations on Iwo Jima: Utility of Combat Lessons," 1990
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Imperial Japanese Army Maps

Gaihozu Digital Archive http://chiri.es.tohoku.ac.jp/~gaihozu/index.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.