Popular Tags: [View All]
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a science mission, the name of which escapes me now, that requires a level 15 sensor test on an enemy ship in order to begin diplomatic relations and earn a victory point. When this test is performed, is it treated as an opposed sensor test in which the enemy ship may play cards to boost its shields and then roll a die? Is it instead treated as a one sided system test as if the enemy ship were a nebula or a star?

Edited for grammer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željan Sudeta
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played as opposed system test so the opponent can play command card to boost his/her sensors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We treated it as a static test vs sensors 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I haven't played in a few weeks, but it seems to me that if it says you have to beat sensors 15, than it's not an opposed test. An opposed test uses your opponents setting, not a predetermined number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Gormley
United States
Northborough
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a lover of all things heavyweight strategy!
mbmbmbmbmb
It, similar to a transporter action done on an enemy ship, would be an unopposed test. The 'defender' may play a card, but not role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squallgoku wrote:
We treated it as a static test vs sensors 15.

^^ this.

If it said "perform an opposed sensor test on an enemy ship", then it would be a matter of having higher sensors than an opposing ship on the same tile. But since it says "level 15 sensors test", it implies it's static. Otherwise, what would "level 15" mean? It seems unreasonable to require that you exceed an opponent's ship's sensors by 15 (e.g. 23 vs 8) for only 1 VP. Cost/reward ratios aren't particularly balanced in this game, but it seems more reasonable that seeking out a ship to perform a (static) level 15 sensors test is approximately equivalent to seeking out a particular type of space tile (e.g. star or nebula or planet) for a similar test (level 12 or 20, depending on the rarity of the type of region) for 1 VP.

*edit* Of course, your opponent can still play a card to reduce your sensors to prevent you from reaching a sensors value of 15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Cougar_Cro wrote:
We played as opposed system test so the opponent can play command card to boost his/her sensors.

But sensors are not used as defense in any situation. If anything, it would be shields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Cougar_Cro doesn't know the opponent can still play a card, even when it's not an opposed test. A card like Sensor Pulse (-5 to opponent ship's Sensors) would be a good one to use in this situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your input. It seems the consensus is that this sort of test on an enemy ship would be treated as a regular unopposed test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to disagree. I think it is sensors vs shields, since you are seeing if you can penetrate their shields with your sensors, as if you were kidnapping a crew member. It only makes sense thematically, a Klingon ship in front of you, raise shields, they try to mess with your systems, it's not like you would have a sensor battle, it's supposed to be an attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it is clear that it is a static 15 sensor test. The target ship's systems do not come into play and the opponent does not roll a die. Command cards can always be played by both players regardless of whether s system test is opposed or static.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why everyone thinks this is an unopposed sensors test... It doesn't make sense! It's an attack! Both players should roll dice, and it's sensors vs shields. Why would you do unopposed ANYTHING against an enemy ship? Unopposed are for everything EXCEPT enemy ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gut tells me to agree with you MrSumOne, but I then can't explain why they set a value of 15 for the aggressor's sensors to beat if the defender's shields enter into it somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
I don't understand why everyone thinks this is an unopposed sensors test... It doesn't make sense! It's an attack! Both players should roll dice, and it's sensors vs shields. Why would you do unopposed ANYTHING against an enemy ship? Unopposed are for everything EXCEPT enemy ships.

Are we talking about the Diplomatic Contact card in the Science Deck with no mention of attack or combat?

edit as roll is against 15, it is whether the opponent gets a die roll that is in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Spartz
United States
Golden valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
MrSumOne wrote:

Because on page 9 of the manual the game defines an opposed system test as a test against another ships system. The card in question specifically states you are testing against a generic number of 15; therefore you are not testing against the enemy ship's systems.

If it is an opposed test the card says opposed test of X system vs Y system. It is always clearly defined.

Whatever thematics you think are appropriate really has nothing to do with this. the text on the card is very clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I agree with the mission. But I remember a federation command or combat card that makes you do a sensors test, (I forget the name right now ) in that case it's vs. shields, right?

edit: I found the card - Masterful Bluff. Make an opposed sensor test with one enemy ship in the combat. That's vs. shields, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tinney
United States
Hamilton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamePlayer wrote:
MrSumOne wrote:

Are we talking about the Diplomatic Contact card in the Science Deck with no mention of attack or combat?

edit as roll is against 15, it is whether the opponent gets a die roll that is in question.

Precisely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Make an opposed sensor test with one enemy ship in the combat. That's vs. shields, right?

I am not sure where you get the shields. The text clearly says it is an opposed sensor test so it is sensors vs. sensors.

Sensors vs. shields applies specifically to trasporter actions on enemy ships, it is not a generic rule whenever a sensor test occurs that involves enemy ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:

I am not sure where you get the shields. The text clearly says it is an opposed sensor test so it is sensors vs. sensors.

Sensors vs. shields applies specifically to trasporter actions on enemy ships, it is not a generic rule whenever a sensor test occurs that involves enemy ships.

Well, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me thematically, and I don't see any rule that says as such. The wording "opposed sensors test", or "sensors test against an enemy ship" is used for transporter actions in the rule book (page 21), so I don't see why one is vs shields, and the other is vs sensors...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Except the rules say nothing of the sort. They say:

Quote:
... but you must first succeed at a Sensor test. The Level of the test is equal to the Shields Rating of the enemy ship.

There is no mention whatsoever about opposed test or test against an enemy ship. This is a very specific rule about transporter actions where the target is an enemy ship. It is not even an opposed test. And yet somehow it seems logical to you to take that and blanket apply it to all opposed sensor tests.

Thematically as well, it makes perfect sense. The Masterful Bluff could involve tricking the opponenst sensors to see more enemies or in some other way deceiving them, so it would clearly be a sensor vs. sensor test, while a transporter action would involve the bypass of the enemy ship's shilds to succeed so it makes sense the shields define the difficulty level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shemar wrote:
Except the rules say nothing of the sort. They say:

Quote:
... but you must first succeed at a Sensor test. The Level of the test is equal to the Shields Rating of the enemy ship.

There is no mention whatsoever about opposed test or test against an enemy ship. This is a very specific rule about transporter actions where the target is an enemy ship. It is not even an opposed test. And yet somehow it seems logical to you to take that and blanket apply it to all opposed sensor tests.

Thematically as well, it makes perfect sense. The Masterful Bluff could involve tricking the opponenst sensors to see more enemies or in some other way deceiving them, so it would clearly be a sensor vs. sensor test, while a transporter action would involve the bypass of the enemy ship's shilds to succeed so it makes sense the shields define the difficulty level.

Well really, it doesn't specifically say that it's a sensors vs sensors test either, unless I'm missing some other rule in the book. So I guess there's no real ruling on if it's vs shields or vs sensors. I would like an official ruling before I change how we've been playing.

PS: Don't be so angry sounding!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to read the cards, etc and will try to post an answer tonight. Sorry for the delay. Sometimes BGG doesn't show all my subscriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
Well really, it doesn't specifically say that it's a sensors vs sensors test either, unless I'm missing some other rule in the book. So I guess there's no real ruling on if it's vs shields or vs sensors. I would like an official ruling before I change how we've been playing.

I was just double-checking the rules on opposed systems tests and transporter actions. On page 9, there is a specific example of an opposed sensors test (see blue text). It is sensors vs. sensors (no shields or other systems involved).

Star Trek: Fleet Captains rule book wrote:
Example: The U.S.S. Yeager is attempting to use the Sensor Overload Command Card against the I.K.S. Bortas. This card requires an Opposed Sensors Test. The Yeager currently has Sensors 6. The Bortas has Sensors 7 and it has a Crew Card assigned to it that adds +3 Sensors. To improve his odds, the Federation Player plays an "Emergency Power" Command Card (+2 to any System). The Federation player rolls one die and gets a 4, so his total on the test is 12. The Klingon player rolls a 1 for a total of 11. The Yeager has the higher total, so the Bortas suffers the effect of the Sensor Overload.

QED
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSumOne wrote:
PS: Don't be so angry sounding! :p

Haha, sorry I had just spent 10 minutes trying to find your rules 'quotes', reading and re-reading the same rules section, before I realized you were probably going by memory/assumption.

In any case, my point is that the only mention of a sensors vs. shields test is in that specific section for Transporter actions, which is not even an opposed test. If a card says "do an opposed engines test" you would not go trying to figure out "vs. what?" it would be self evidently engines vs. engines. It is the same with sensors. If ther rules/cards say opposed A test, it is A vs. A. In any other case the rules/cards will say opposed A vs. B test. Even if it said "opposed weapons test" it would not be weapons vs. shields, it would be weapons vs. weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks for clarifying!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.