Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Today the internet black out convinced 13 mostly right leaning sentators to drop support for SOPA etc.
MPAA 0 - Internet freedom 1.
The war continues.

BGG Admins ? Wargaming User Community ?

Your call users.
Time to Step up. Or Step away.

Might make an interest V2 of the BGG board game - Community builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Today the internet black out convinced 13 mostly right leaning sentators to drop support for SOPA etc.
The war continues.

Not sure even this battle has been won just yet, but sure took a (probably temporary) step in the right direction.

EDIT: At the expense of sounding like Wikipedia: citation needed.

I'm not doubting you, I just haven't found any such information yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
keethrax wrote:
hipshot wrote:
The war continues.

Not sure even this battle has been won just yet, but sure took a (probably temporary) step in the right direction.

So thats mean if someone makes a card-driven-political-lobbying-special interests-vs-grass-roots-organizations game it should be considered a wargame right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
adorablerocket wrote:
keethrax wrote:
hipshot wrote:
The war continues.

So thats mean if someone makes a card-driven-political-lobbying-special interests-vs-grass-roots-organizations game it should be considered a wargame right?

Not without guns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:

Not without guns.

That would be the special interest known as the NRA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
calandale wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
keethrax wrote:
hipshot wrote:
The war continues.

Not without guns.

we will have guns or at least molotov cocktails.

citation as requested part of an email I received from http://fightforthefuture.org/pipa/

Approaching Monday's crucial Senate vote there are now 35 Senators publicly opposing PIPA. Last week there were 5. And it just takes just 41 solid "no" votes to permanently stall PIPA (and SOPA) in the Senate. What seemed like miles away a few weeks ago is now within reach.

But don't trust predictions. The forces behind SOPA & PIPA (mostly movie companies) can make small changes to these bills until they know they have the votes to pass. Members of Congress know SOPA & PIPA are unpopular, but they don't understand why--so they're easily duped by superficial changes. The Senate returns next week, and the next few days are critical. Here are two things to think about:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The pirate's life for me!
United States
flag msg tools
pineapples are in my head
badge
"There is a Heppy Land Furfur A-waay"
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
keethrax wrote:
hipshot wrote:
The war continues.

Not without guns.

Wait a minute...Twilight Struggle doesn't have guns!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Kris2476 wrote:
calandale wrote:
adorablerocket wrote:
keethrax wrote:
hipshot wrote:
The war continues.

Not without guns.

Wait a minute...Twilight Struggle doesn't have guns!

Those 'coups' ain't all beer hall affairs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:

Those 'coups' ain't all beer hall affairs.

Quite right. Coupes are for champagne!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They can always attach it as rider to a defense bill. That way it always passes, just like indefinite detention on the NDAA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't necessarily binary. If one or two webmasters now have a greater understanding of their responsibility to IP owners, artists, etc., and are worried enough about not just SOPA, but possible future legislation, to take a serious look at how they vet their content, then that represents a win for a lot of people.

Wikipedia has actually been very pro-active for a long time about keeping its house in order, with a lot of stringent requirements for the upload of material, with at the least very rigorous means of identifying material that it permits on its site. That isn't to say the material is always correctly identified - it's very easy to take someone else's property, label it as "public domain", and upload it to the server - but with a very broad network of community quality control - or policemen, or whatever term you wish to use - WP has been very proactive in correcting these situations, too. For the size of their site, they've done more than other sites of comparable visibility (i.e. YouTube) as far as promoting the exclusive use of public domain and fair-use materials, and the correct attribution of copyrighted materials where used, obtaining permissions, and documenting said permissions.

If other sites begin to examine similar models of public interaction - that is not a "loss" for anyone nor a death-knell for a "free internet" - that is simply how things are supposed to work, and pretty much how they have worked in any other medium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.