Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendation b/w these games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Stubbe
msg tools
Which out of these four games would you recommend 4) Battle line 3) Race for the Galaxy 2) Pandemic On the Brink expansion 1) Ticket to Ride

Trying to decide which one of these to get to play mainly with my wife and if possible sometimes family. We already own and like Lost Cities, Dominion (w/ multiple expansions), and Pandemic. Also have played Treasure Island and thought it is a decent game. I know Battle line is 2 player only so that is why I have it ranked 4th on my list.

Will Race for the Galaxy scare people away with all the card icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frs257369 wrote:

Yes, but you could try San Juan, or perhaps Glory to Rome. For non-gaming family members, Ticket to Ride is probably safest, though if you have 4+ light gamers, something like 7 Wonders would work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like your copy of Pandemic, then you need to get On the Brink! It makes a great game even greater!

As for Race, likely. It's my favourite game, but the icons cause a steep learning curve. However, it's completely worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy has a steep learning curve due to it's iconography. Not a deal breaker, but something to consider. As someone else pointed out, San Juan, Glory to Rome, Eminent Domain & Core Worlds may be other options worth looking into (San Juan is the closest, and a very sold game). I owned RftG for years, and the iconography prevented it from ever being brought out..

Pandemic: On the Brink is a near necessity if you play a lot of Pandemic. It adds a lot to the game, especially in terms of replayability. The downside is that it's just an expansion and not a new game. Some other co-ops worth looking at imo: Flash Point: Fire Rescue & Yggdrasil.

Ticket to Ride is a very simple game, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's very easy to teach new gamers (or non-gamers), and is a nice, light game to bring out every once in awhile. The caveat, however, is that it sounds like you'll be playing mostly 2-player but would like to have the flexibility to play with more. Ticket to Ride & Ticket to Ride: Europe are not that much fun with less than 4 imo (3 at a very minimum). Playable, yes. But fun, no. Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is the best of the bunch imo, and plays excellent with 2 or 3. You could always buy the base game (or Europe) as well as an expansion to make things tighter with fewer players. 1910/1912 Big Cities are definitely better than nothing for 2-3 players on the larger maps. And the latest expansion, India/Switzerland includes both a small and large map. For larger groups, Team Asia is surprisingly tense and a nice twist....but probably not something for you right now.

Battle Line: Haven't played, but well regarded.

Thinking about my past, Kingsburg was a game that was pretty popular when my gaming situation was similar to yours. A lot of my favorite games are a bit more complicated now, but there was a time when Kingsburg, Pandemic, Ticket to Ride, San Juan, Bohnanza and Dominion ruled the streets...

(also 7 Wonders was suggested, but keep in mind that it doesn't work that well with just 2...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
indigopotter wrote:
frs257369 wrote:

Yes, but you could try San Juan, or perhaps Glory to Rome. For non-gaming family members, Ticket to Ride is probably safest, though if you have 4+ light gamers, something like 7 Wonders would work.

Agreed. Ticket to Ride would probably be best with multiple players, although I mainly play TTR:Nordic Countries when it's just the two of us. San Juan is easier to learn than Race. (I did that backwards, but then silly me started with Puerto Rico...). And I still know a number of people who prefer SJ over Race even heavy euro gamers.

Battle Line is a fun 2p only game. If you or your wife like poker, then the card combinations will be second nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Forbes

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The icons don't work for everyone, but I'm going to note here that if you understand the design methodology behind it (and probably learn San Juan and or Puerto Rico if you haven't already), it will make things significantly clearer. The symbols are abstracted but pertain directly to the cards' effects.

The design of the cards is so well done that with some famaliarity, you can glance at a hand of cards and in a second or two know exactly what you're looking at.

Once you get over the "language" of the icons, of course. Again, it's not for everyone, and you may never enjoy the game. Plenty of people don't.

cmarques1982 wrote:
About Race for the Galaxy (RftG):

First, I should say that I enjoy heavy games (I am a big fan of Age of Empires, Imperial 2030, Navegador, Agricola and even Die Macher). Now, I was introduced to RftG sometime ago and I hated it. I felt so overwhelmed about the amount of info I simply couldn't enjoy the game. I have to say that the other games were not particularly patient (I had little time to think about the cards and decide what to do).

After this experience, I never felt like playing it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madhujith Venkatakrishna
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly go with Battle Line, because of the ease of learning and short game play. If you like Lost Cities, chances are you might like this as well as it is from the same designer. Again the theme is a pasted one, but the game play is tense and very nice.

Pandemic and TtR are also really nice games to play with the family.

IMO I'm a little skeptical about Race for the Galaxy as there is definitely a learning curve with the iconography on the cards.

I would also suggest the following games to play with your family:

Thurn and Taxis- Which I definitely rate it above TtR
Tobago- A beautiful board, components are absolutely gorgeous and game play is fun. It is a reverse deduction game with innumerable options of setting up so name game is the same.
Tikal- Another beautiful game with absolutely lovely components. A treasure hunt kind of a theme.
Lords of Vegas- The Vegas theme is so nicely captured in this game. Takes like 20 min to read the rule book and start playing. Yes there is luck, but goes very well with the theme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of those you listed I prefer Race for the galaxy the most...BUT many are turned off pretty quick by the icons and learning curve.

Eminent Domain is similar, and my wife actually really loves that in lieu of Race for the Galaxy.

However, one of her first loves (along with Talisman) is Ticket to Ride. She absolutely loves that and everyone she plays with seems to as well.

I'd probably agree with those who are saying Ticket to Ride is the one you want to pick up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Højslet
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I've only played Ticket to Ride, but I like it very much. I've learned it to a lot of my friends, and it's been easy.

And besides, who doesnt like to say THUUUT THUUT like a train =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Stubbe
msg tools
I have seen a lot of recommendations for 7 Wonders. What are people's opinion on this game? Seems intersting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
frs257369 wrote:
I have seen a lot of recommendations for 7 Wonders. What are people's opinion on this game? Seems intersting

It's currently ranked #12 here on the Geek (#11 in Strategy Games). Go over to the site (7 Wonders) and read some of the reviews. This is truly a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Creamer
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride , I have yet to play this game with people that someone didn't like it. The other games are more hit or miss depending on your group but they are all great games. My wife LOVES Ticket To Ride its her favorite game and she is wicked good at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frs257369 wrote:

It's a great game for 6-7 players, because there aren't that many light-medium games that play well and quickly with that number. With 3-5, it's a fine game, although there are a lot of mixed opinions. (Serious gamers find it way too light, but it is complex enough that I wouldn't use at as the first modern game to teach someone new). With 2, it has special rules with a neutral/shared/dummy player, which some people like, but I don't like the sound of.

+1 for the Pandemic expansion if you play Pandemic a lot

-1 for Race for the Galaxy. Although I agree that the icons are actually helpful, there are other aspects of the game that add to the complexity. So...

+1 for San Juan

Battle Line feels too abstract to me. I like theme. But if you're ok with the poker-style scoring, it is supposed to be really good.

I'm neutral on Ticket to Ride. Most folks enjoy it, but even looking at it from a gateway game standpoint, I didn't love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Wallace
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6th Circle Nethermancer in Service of the Queen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line is a great game and replaced Lost Cities for my wife and I. There are also some good 3 and 4 player variants for Battle Line and it works quite well even with so many players. They are posted here on the geek under Battle Line, either in the files OR as forum posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.